A wheelist

Basic exercise nutrition question.

I just can't find the info that I need. Maybe you guys & gals into exercise nutrition can help.

Question - does 1 gram of glucose = 1 gram of carbohydrate? I'm going &%$#@ nuts trying to find that answer.

2nd question - do any of you mix your own energy replacement fluids? I mix mine using -

Glucose powder.
    Fructose powder.
    (in a 2:1 ratio)
    Salt.
    Potassium (No Salt).
    1" of grapefruit juice in the waterbottle just for flavor.
    Water.

If so, what quantities do you use, per 725ml large waterbottle?

All the info I read says we can absorb about 60g of carbs (in the form of glucose) per hour plus and extra 30g of fructose. So I'm basically looking for how much weight of glucose and fructose per 725ml bottle. Seven Tablespoons of glucose powder weighs about 60g. Add 3.5 TBSP of fructose powder and that seems like an awful lot of powder per bottle. But then I read there is like 10 TBSP of sugar per can of Coke.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Question - does 1 gram of glucose = 1 gram of carbohydrate? I'm going &%$#@ nuts trying to find that answer.
    Looks like glucose is a type of carbohydrate:

"An important carbohydrate in biology, cells use it as the primary source of energy and a metabolic intermediate."

Glucose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Carbohydrate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I imagine Total Carbs is probably the sum of all unique carb sources (sucrose, dextrose, lactose, etc.)
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 07-05-2013 at 01:20 PM.

A wheelist
    I came from the Wiki page just before I posted my question. It just made my head spin. I just couldn't find the statement that 1g of glucose IS 1g of carbs or, that glucose is pure carbohydrate. I know an apple is carbs but it must also have water, fibre, etcetera.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Glucose and fructose are carbs, count both. What you need depends on how much real work you are doing and what your aim is. Are you exercising past glycogen stores? Are you so thin that you are replacing every used calorie? Are your fueling for very long distances? Are you racing? How much carb you put in your bottle depends on your needs, you can look up osmolarity to aid your tweaks. Also bear in mind to try stuff out before you rely in them for races, centuries, endurance etc, in case there is gastric distress. Sodium and potassium will depend also on your ride type, length and temps and sweating. What you can do is pick a reputable nutrition sources (eg skratch, efs, infinite, etc etc amen) and have a look at what proportions they use. It is all out there on the interwebs. Then remember that you are probably not riding the TDF (as you are posting here) and your calories burned info source is probably optimistic.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonsina View Post
    Glucose and fructose are carbs, count both. What you need depends on how much real work you are doing and what your aim is. Are you exercising past glycogen stores? Are you so thin that you are replacing every used calorie? Are your fueling for very long distances? Are you racing? How much carb you put in your bottle depends on your needs, you can look up osmolarity to aid your tweaks. Also bear in mind to try stuff out before you rely in them for races, centuries, endurance etc, in case there is gastric distress. Sodium and potassium will depend also on your ride type, length and temps and sweating. What you can do is pick a reputable nutrition sources (eg skratch, efs, infinite, etc etc amen) and have a look at what proportions they use. It is all out there on the interwebs. Then remember that you are probably not riding the TDF (as you are posting here) and your calories burned info source is probably optimistic.
    Yep, I'll worry about how much energy & fluid *I* need to replace once I get the answer to my basic question - is 1g of glucose = to 1g of carbs?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Yep, I'll worry about how much energy & fluid *I* need to replace once I get the answer to my basic question - is 1g of glucose = to 1g of carbs?
    Your question has been answered twice already, soon to be three times.

Glucose is a carbohydrate. Period. It is not a xx percentage carbohydrate combined with yy percentage something else.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Yes. There is nothing else but carbohydrate in glucose so 1g = 1g of carbohydrate.

What osmolality are you aiming for? If it is hypertonic vs stomach/intestine contents, you will require additional water.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    Yes. There is nothing else but carbohydrate in glucose so 1g = 1g of carbohydrate.
    Thank you Eric!