RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003

Bearings in Powertap SL 2.4 hubs

What do people think of the quality of bearings used in the Powertap SL 2.4 hubs? Are they comparable to, better than, worse than bearings used in Campagnolo Chorus or Eurus hubs? I know a lot of it is subjective, just trying to get a feel for what people think.

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't think anything beats the bearing quality in Campy hubs and there have been reports of bearing failure in Powertap hubs during a season's use. That said, they're very good at servicing their products.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I only got a few hundred miles on my new PT SL and the bearings feel rough already. No rain, water or abuse. Not so impressed am I.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    The bearings in my 2.4SL hub started out kind of rough and have stayed exactly the same after more than a season of use. I was expecting them to die quickly but they're still going.

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979
    The bearings in my 2.4SL hub started out kind of rough and have stayed exactly the same after more than a season of use. I was expecting them to die quickly but they're still going.
    How much more drag/weight do you notice?

can you tell when you put on a non power tap sl wheel the weight savings?

RoadBikeReview Member
    In my experience the bearings are the cheapest bearing they could get. I had to replace mine 3 times. I mean Bearing cones and races. I wore out 2 races and cranked another. and wore out 2 cones. I heard they moved up to a bearing comparable with ultergra this year. this is on the matter of 9 months. just riding the road. They should not have cut the bearing corner.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bas
    How much more drag/weight do you notice?
    None.

Quote Originally Posted by bas
    can you tell when you put on a non power tap sl wheel the weight savings?
    Are you kidding? It's like a 150 grams difference. Only the Princess in the Princess and the Pea could feel that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I train on mine in all conditions (including rain, muddy roads) and have been for around 9 months averaging 15-20 hours/week. The original bearings are still smooth (you could easily upgrade the bearings in the freewheel side if you wanted to) but the others supposedly require replacing by Saris.

In my opinion the powertap has been bombproof. It's always worked flawlessly. Beyond having to change the batteries a few times (about a 5 minute operation), it hasn't required a second thought.