RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

Beginner trainer app recommendations? (Need to lose 30lbs in 2 months for health.)

Im back on the bike since I bought my new bike (two months ago) and while I was riding 6 days a week... I got sick and had to pause for 3 weeks. I felt that while I was getting in the saddle time... it wasnt very productive to get me into the group rides that "go faster" than my solo rides. Come back 3 weeks later, after the break, and all of a sudden my heart rate was staying in the high 180s to 190s through out the ride where I felt like I was getting ready to blackout. Practically where I stopped at a red light and I had some blurry vision that kinda scared me!

So, Im thinking about getting on a trainer instead and build up my endurance and strength on the bike. My plan is to ride on the trainer 4 days a week and take a Novice group ride (11-15mph pace for 20+ miles) once or twice a week. Im going in the direction of having my time be focused on productive riding while my "outdoor" riding is for the social aspect...

A little bit about me:
    I do have a Wahoo Kickr trainer. Im 275+ lbs and I need to lose 20 lbs in the next 3 months. (Doctors recommendation due to a bad liver.) And I plan to do a simple upper-body workout plan to build muscle in parallel of riding on the trainer. My overall goal as a rider are to do a few centuries and just become a Group B/C rider at 46 years of age... nothing grand but just getting back out there and doing it!

So, what apps would anyone recommend?

Zwift? Im really debating on Trainerroad vs Zwift a lot but Im curious if the training plans are much different now for a beginning rider? While Zwift is more gaming like... which is a plus... I still found myself watching videos and letting the app control the erg. Which training plan is recommend to start out with? FTP builder or something else?

Trainerroad? Same as above but does TR really have "better" training plans than Zwift? Or for any beginner plans... I imagine I just need to do the Base phase and then do the Enthusiast section next... since I watch videos I assume this would match my preference more?

Sufferfest? I tried SF a long time back with TR and while I thought it was engaging... it was really tough for me! But, since the plan is to get on the bike for an hour and some... are the High Intensity video like SF the way to go? Would this give me the best work out vs the slow pace of the "beginning phases" from TR or Zwift?

I do understand diet and food habits are important... my diet is decent and lately its more high protein low carb at the moment and maintaining about 2kcal per day. But, I really want to hit that 30lb loss goal in the next couple of months before the next checkup and I want to get the "most juice per squeeze!" So, Im looking for straight recommendations and experiences from others.

TIA

Edited.
    Last edited by dirtiClydesdale; 06-19-2017 at 02:52 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016
    Diet and exercise go hand in hand...eat better, feel better, desire to exercise increases. Weight loss is far easier and faster through diet vs exercise, but getting them both going can accelerate it.

Eat plants! Lower caloric density, greater nutrition, eat until full (no restricting)...nothing but health benefits if it is a whole food plant based diet. Excess pounds will fall off and you will feel amazing within days of implementing it. Stop worrying about macro nutrients - no such thing as a protein deficiency, so don't worry about protein. See: David Carter, Torre Washington, Rich Roll etc for examples. Plus, stamina/endurance requires carbs for fuel. Documentaries like Forks Over Knives, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, What the Health, Hungry for Change, and others will provide ample motivation and facts for how the body sheds excess and cravings cease once proper nutrition is introduced. It really is incredible the way you feel younger and the energy returns. And it happens fast.

Strava is a super fun app. Finish a ride and see where you compared vs your previous best. Very addictive and motivating.

I'm no Dr. or expert, just relaying what worked very well for me. Best of luck, you can do it!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    I would just go on solo rides at slow sight seeing speeds and keep your heart rate in zone 1. Just keep doing it and stay hydrated and snack on a banana etc..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    If your doctor told you to lose 30 pounds in 2 months ( which is a little crazy in my opinion ), and you didn't have a long hard conversations about exactly how to go about doing that, that's a problem.

If your health is in crisis, you don't need a sports training app. You need to make serious lifestyle changes that include healthy eating and moderate amounts of exercise.

You don't need to be worried about how many of what kind of intervals to do. You need to be worried about how much activity you are getting ( I.e. time not sitting on your ass), and what you are putting in your mouth.

Get an activity tracker if that will help you stay motivated. Get a Garmin if you want to integrate into your cycling ecosystem.

As far as cycling goes, you absolutely shouldn't be doing any significant amount of high intensity efforts. A short climb or short 30 second Sprint once in a while is fine, but trying to follow a fast paced group ride is probably too much.

Z1-Z2 should be 95+ precent of your time on the bike.

Learn how to calculate you calorie burn and adjust your intake around those numbers.

Every time you make a decision about what and how much to eat, think about nutrition density. How much nutritional value does something have in relation to how many calories.

The advice about plants is good from that perspective, but it's not necessary to go full on banana eating vegan. Healthy lean protein are fine in moderation. Good quality oily ( think salmon, fresh tuna, etc...) fish is also good in moderation.

Generally speaking, the more color in your diet, the more nutrition it's going to have. And no, "chocolate" is not a color. Thing bright greens, reds, purples, oranges, etc...

It sounds like you've leaned that there is a lot more to getting healthy than just buying expensive sporting goods.

You getting healthy is about you changing the way you think, and your emotional response to hunger and fatigue. It's not about bikes or coaches or training plans. Those things are fine if they keep you motivated, but in my own experience with losing over 100 pounds and getting healthy, I found that my motivation came from the small victories (i.e. meeting a weight goal or getting off of a medication, etc...), and not from the equipment or other external factors.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    This is where the overall question comes in... while Im sure just "going out there and riding" is always going to be good! But, trainer work vs "junk miles" (I really dont even know what junk miles really mean?) is better or worse?

I understand trainers can be boring... and Im not trying to forgo not going outside but with the current heat in North Texas (stays around 90+ degrees from 9am to 9pm...) I thought some trainer work would be good if I cant get outside.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    If your doctor told you to lose 30 pounds in 2 months ( which is a little crazy in my opinion ), and you didn't have a long hard conversations about exactly how to go about doing that, that's a problem.
    That is a typo... I meant to say 20lbs in 3 months. Its not a "YOU HAVE TO LOSE" but more like a I would like to see you lose... type of thing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Clyde,
    Take it from a guy who used to be overweight and has come down about 100 lbs. Diet is key - ,asking good food choices and above all cutting out soda, beer, fast food will give you fast and healthy weight loss.
    As far as training apps go - depends on your goals. I have used them all and prefer trainer road and CVT2015.
    I wouldn't worry about which app - maybe even try them out - zwift will give you a free trial for a week or two and a limited amount of kms. Couldn't hurt to try.
    Most importantly for your health is to make reasonable and attainable goals and stick to them. The key to progress is staying motivated and that motivation will feed itself with each and every progress marker. Another belt notch? A new belt or pants. Clothes get too big. More stamina. More strength. Faster recovery.
    My daughter found a picture of the 2 of us last week taken when she was about 2 yrs old. I am almost unrecognizeable I that photo and looking at me now and that was taken 11 or 12 years ago. I wish I would have gotten my **** together a lot sooner - wasted time.
    I wish you the best on your journey. Don't get into analysis paralysis - watch what you eat/drink and ride lots. The rest will take care of itself.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Great input from other posters.

FWIW - I had been riding a lot, but hardly losing weight.

A dietician friend boiled it down for me. Bias toward whole grains, fresh fruit and vegetables. Small amounts of chicken or fish - okay!

I started having a big green salad for one meal a day. Another meal might have chicken and veggies, maybe quinoa. Boom. I immediately lost 5-10 pounds. I'm down 20 now and not going to look back for a couple of months to come.

I miss my friend, Pizza, and hope to see him again someday in better circumstances.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016
    One other very useful app (or the website) is Cronometer. Input everything you eat, it breaks down your totals for nutrition, macro and micro nutrients, calories taken in, BMR, tracks exercise, all of it.

Using it daily and taking a few minutes to examine the numbers puts everything you're going to eat in perspective. Highly useful as you get a better gauge far beyond calories and a better picture of nutrition and therefore overall health.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    As far as weight loss goes, there is no such thing as Junk Miles. Every calorie burned is good.

Junk Miles refers to training zones that are in between endurance and threshold.

It just means you are burning calories a little too fast to be improving your endurance and a little too slow to be improving your speed. These are not things you need to worry about.

The problem with riding hard is that it builds stress and fatigue, and can lead to mental and physical exhaustion. Especially if you are in poor fitness.

Staying in Z2 will basically let you always recovery within 24 hours so fatigue isn't keeping you from riding the next day. You goals should be time based (measured in hours), not speed or distance based.

Zwift has a wide variety of things you can do to break up the boredom of just doing workouts. You can join in social rides, paced group rides, do workouts, and even follow a training plan. Or, just like riding outside, you can JRA in zone 2.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Training app - Zwift can be very engaging and has intervals if you want to do them or you can just free ride and look at stuff, ride with others from around the world. You can set up a trial account for a week or so to see if you like it. Another option which I do with trainer centuries is watching Netflix at a constant power output with Zwift on the laptop where I can see it and TV on the wall in front of me.

Weight Loss Calorie Consumption Lots of good suggestion so far - don't eat any process sugar foods like Soda, cookies, ice cream, pie etc. If you need sweets for desert have a piece of fruit like an orange or apple. Carbs aren't bad, just don't eat High glycemic index carbs unless you are headed for a work out and need fast energy during that - as in a couple hour work out. Things like white rice and and potato dishes are high GI. I'd suggest reading a bit on glycemic index. Also, don't eat within 2 hours of bed time, and ditch all alcohol. Finally, don't eat till you are full, eat slowly and teach your body it's ok to stop eating when you are still not quite full. If you get hungry between meals drink ice water.

Burning CaloriesRiding your bike helps, but staying active is just as important - Stand instead of sitting when you can, do yard work, walk, wash dishes by hand at the sink, dry them and put them away instead of using a dish washer, clean the garage, the basement, mow your lawn more often, wash your car by hand instead of going through the car wash. There's plenty of ways to stay active and burn calories beyond your bike and it's quite amazing how much weight you can drop doing it in addition to riding.

When you start dropping lbs you will also start going faster - climbing hills is so much easier and your body is metabolically more efficient.

Most important - make all the choices a life style change! Schedule your riding and don't miss rides - stick to your dietary choices and stay active. It will take a few weeks often for weight to start dropping after making changes like this, but stay the course - it will happen, guaranteed.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Does standing really burn calories? Why not eat 2hrs before bed? Was just wondering. Thats a bad habit of mine

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    Does standing really burn calories? Why not eat 2hrs before bed? Was just wondering. Thats a bad habit of mine
    I'm not sure what this is directed at.

Everything you do, including sleeping burns calories (read up on Metabolic Burn Rate).

Surely just standing in place burns a few more calories than sitting or laying down, but not by much.

There is a significant difference over time for just moving around vs sitting on the couch. i.e. walking, cleaning the garage, doing yard work, etc. In the small scale, these calories are not significant, but over time, if you are increasing your MBR over the course of the day, it really adds up. It burns more calories without increasing your fatigue/stress. The point is, try to minimize the time you are sitting around doing nothing. Keep moving, even if it's just walking around the block listening to your favorite podcast on your phone.

RoadBikeReview Member

For a 275lb person the difference between standing and sitting 8 hours is 550 calories, that would be 1lb weight loss per week. Why would you eat before sleeping? Are you needing the calories for some reason? If not, you adding calories for no purpose.

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Thx. I dont need the calories. Its just the munchies or if i feel hungry. Was just wondering why it was bad to eat before bed time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    For a 275lb person the difference between standing and sitting 8 hours is 550 calories, that would be 1lb weight loss per week.
    I was reading something similar and this is what the turning point of me purchasing a standing desk. Especially since I work from home 90% of the time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    Staying in Z2 will basically let you always recovery within 24 hours so fatigue isn't keeping you from riding the next day. You goals should be time based (measured in hours), not speed or distance based.
    I apologize for the ignorant reply here but can you elaborate that comment in regards to "goals should be time based (measured in hours)?" My thoughts were if I go farther then the more time I will be on the bike... so that all relates to miles vs speed vs hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    No need to apologize. It's not worth over thinking.

When you plan a bike ride, instead of setting out to do 30 miles, set out to do 3 hours (or whatever).

30 miles of mountainous terrain is very different than 30 miles of flat rail trail. Besides terrain, there are other factors, such as weather and wind that will determine how fast and far you ride.

By using your power meter, and monitoring your power output, you can accomplish very specific goals, particularly in terms of specific calorie burn targets.

There is nothing wrong with having mileage based goals as a meta. A weekly or monthly goal is fine, but don't let your speed or your distance determine what you do on the bike. Time at power is a much better way to determine how much effort (calories) you expended.

There are other, more advanced things you can track, such as IF (Intensity Factor) and TSS (Training Stress Score). These are more useful for athletic performance training and not terribly useful for weight loss, but at some point you may want to keep an eye on them. Especially if you are a data geek.

Your primary objectives should be to know how many calories you consume, and how many calories you burn.

Here are a couple more tips.

This website is really good for checking things like the glycemic index and nutritional density of most common foods. You can use it to plan your grocery shopping, and ultimately eat more healthy
    SELF Nutrition Data | Food Facts, Information & Calorie Calculator

On that note, be careful about too much planning. I learned this the hard way. Knowing every morsel of food you eat and pre-planning every bike ride can really sap the fun out of life. Being informed and knowledgeable about what (and when) you eat, and how much, and when you exercise will go a long ways towards helping you meet your goals. Just don't get too carried away with the regimen and burn yourself out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thx. I dont need the calories. Its just the munchies or if i feel hungry. Was just wondering why it was bad to eat before bed time.
    If you are serious about weight loss you really need to think about your consumption differently - don't eat when you don't need calories regardless of what you body is telling you through hunger pains. There's no reason to eat before going to bed, you're consuming calories that you don't need. Your body signals via hunger pains for a few reason's all of which mean you are on task losing weight. When you respond blindly and eat you are not losing weight. Train your body you don't need food before bed and it will quit signaling you then. Drink ice water instead, lots - the hunger pain will go away or be diminished

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    To re-enforce Srode's point, if you are trying to lose weight, the last thing you want to do is respond to hunger and cravings. This is a recipe for failure.

Try to get the idea of 'three square meals' out of your head. Eat small amounts of healthy foods throughout the day. Keep track of your calories in and calories out to keep the right ratio.

Expect to be hungry and have cravings, and learn to ignore them. Your body is trying to make you fat (that's how you got this way in the first place). It's a survival instinct you need to learn to ignore.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Sorry OP. Didnt mean to take over this thread. Im under 185lbs, not really looking to lose that much weight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Sorry OP. Didnt mean to take over this thread. Im under 185lbs, not really looking to lose that much weight.
    No worries! =) Its creating a conversation and Im learning/understanding from different points of views. Im glad you spoke up!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterStronger View Post
    Clyde,
    Take it from a guy who used to be overweight and has come down about 100 lbs. Diet is key - ,asking good food choices and above all cutting out soda, beer, fast food will give you fast and healthy weight loss.
    As far as training apps go - depends on your goals. I have used them all and prefer trainer road and CVT2015.
    I wouldn't worry about which app - maybe even try them out - zwift will give you a free trial for a week or two and a limited amount of kms. Couldn't hurt to try.
    Most importantly for your health is to make reasonable and attainable goals and stick to them. The key to progress is staying motivated and that motivation will feed itself with each and every progress marker. Another belt notch? A new belt or pants. Clothes get too big. More stamina. More strength. Faster recovery.
    My daughter found a picture of the 2 of us last week taken when she was about 2 yrs old. I am almost unrecognizeable I that photo and looking at me now and that was taken 11 or 12 years ago. I wish I would have gotten my **** together a lot sooner - wasted time.
    I wish you the best on your journey. Don't get into analysis paralysis - watch what you eat/drink and ride lots. The rest will take care of itself.
    I appreciate your words and I can understand about the pic with the daughter. For me, it was a pic with my son and even I didnt recognize myself from the back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    I'm on the same journey trying to get down to 175 from 220 at 6'1".

I first got started with MyFitnessPal and have been very intentional in making sure I'm imputing correct data. This has really held me accountable for my intake and what I am eating in general.

Secondly, I have dove into the Racing Weight books to enlighten myself on nutrition and the like.

I've found this to be what is working best for me, keeping me motivated and disciplined.