RIP Funny Penguin

Best way for flatlander to train for bridge to bridge?

So after the White Lake tri in May, I am going to hang up my running shoes (mostly-sort of) and begin training for the bridge to bridge this fall (or the Nantahala ride later in the fall).

I used to live in those mountains and understand the difference in climbing up my "bumps" here in raleigh and heading to the top of Grandfather mountain and 10,000+ feet of climbing total.

Climbing has never been my "strong" suit...in that I suck at it.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    4x8min (2min recover) at lactate threshold in 53x11.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I live in Raleigh as well and if you have ridden with the Gyros, All-Stars or the Greenies we have probably met. There are a lot of good places to do hill repeats in the area.

Here is one example. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2169010 Make a figure 8 out of it. Do it as many times as you can.

Are you familiar with the group rides in the area?
    Gee willikers, it must be obvious day at Camp Stupid. - Shake

RIP Funny Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by logansites
    I live in Raleigh as well and if you have ridden with the Gyros, All-Stars or the Greenies we have probably met. There are a lot of good places to do hill repeats in the area.

Here is one example. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2169010 Make a figure 8 out of it. Do it as many times as you can.

Are you familiar with the group rides in the area?
    I used to go with some of the Road Dogs a while back, but I live in Clayton now and don't get into too many groups unless it is Raven Rock or some other organized group ride.

I do know that area pretty well...the other thought I had was Lystra Hill around Cary/Apex.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ive heard that Clayton is a lot flatter than N. Raleigh. The intervals prescribed above would be a good substitute to group rides...or perhaps even better. Personally I have much higher motivation in a group. Go out on windy days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by logansites
    Io out on windy days.

This sounds insane but riding into the wind may suck but it will work. Believe you me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Its why those freaks from the Netherlands can climb mountains so well...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Have you done this event before?

RIP Funny Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by BassNBrew
    Have you done this event before?
    I've done the Hilly Hellacious Hundred a couple of times (when that was still around) when I lived in the mountains, but not Bridge to Bridge or the Nanty ride.

Of course then if I wanted to train hard I just pointed my bike up towards Mount Pisgah.

RoadBikeReview Member

Bridge to Bridge

Guys,

I am from the area as well and have done B2B 3 times. It is a blast even though logistically it can be a pain. If you want hills go to Harnett County. There are some really nice hills there. Also you can go to Pilot Mt and do some repeats. Also if you can swing up to Morganton and pre-ride 181. It is not so bad once you have done it once, but if your first time is during the race it can really mess with your head...

Blue Ridge Brutal is another great ride.

Logan, you didn't happen to buy an Orange Madone recently did you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Pilot Mountain

Pilot Mt is your best bet to train for the final climb. It is about the same distance as the Grandfather Mt climb.

Once you are comfortable riding up Pilot Mt, consider that Grandfather is steeper and you will have already 100 miles, NC181 and several cllimbs on the Blue Ridge Parkway in your legs. Nothing can prepare you for the last switchback - just hope you have a good sprint left.

Pre-Riding 181 from the Adako Rd intersection to 183 will help for your pacing - it is a 13 mile climb that gets steeper near the top.
    100% is too much