RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005

Better alternative cut-out saddle to Spec. Toupe gel?

I have been experiencing discomfort w/ my specialized toupe gel saddle. My guess is that the cut-out is so wide that it thus places more stress on my sit bones than other cut-out saddles may.

Has anyone had this specific problem w/ this or other cut out saddles?

If so, does anyone have a recommendation for a cut out saddle that is a different design and places less stress on the sit bones b/c weight is distributed more evenly?

I am thinking about trying out the new selle italia flite gel flow for this reason...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I've never tried the toupe but I switched from a Specialized Avatar to a Selle Italia SLK (non-gel) and I like it a lot better:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    I have the team toupe (non-gel) and they're the best saddles I've ever ridden. Do you perhaps have the 143mm vs the 130mm? I am 5'11, 155lbs and ride the 130mm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic
    I have been experiencing discomfort w/ my specialized toupe gel saddle. My guess is that the cut-out is so wide that it thus places more stress on my sit bones than other cut-out saddles may.

Has anyone had this specific problem w/ this or other cut out saddles?

If so, does anyone have a recommendation for a cut out saddle that is a different design and places less stress on the sit bones b/c weight is distributed more evenly?

I am thinking about trying out the new selle italia flite gel flow for this reason...
    I have the Toupe Gel saddle. It took me about 2 weeks to get used to it, and has worked pretty well since then.

It seems to me that what you are looking for is somewhat contradictory. In other words, having a cutout but having more distribution of your weight on the saddle.

It is possible that my previous model of 14 years (5 separate saddles in that period) could work, as it just had a channel and not a cutout. It was the Selle Italia Novus (Ferrari):

They haven't been made for about 8 years now (I managed to find 2 by trying every single bike shop I ever went to).

-ilan

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    I just got rid of the Team Toupe. After 300 miles, it still hurt my sit bones! I guess that is what makes saddles so difficult to recommend. What works great for one, doesn't work for another.

Cat 6 rider
    lamazion is right. One size doesn't fit all with saddles, even when they come in multiple sizes I had trouble with Specialized Avatar not working for me. I went to a Terry Fly gel and it's been great. (It's nowhere near as cool to look at, but looks don't concern me when my butt is in the saddle.)
    To the troll mobile, away...