RoadBikeReview Member

Bike Trainer Mat

Hey all,

I just got a new Kurt Kinetic Road Machine and I need a mat to put under it to catch sweat and protect the floor. I would prefer not to buy the $60 Kurt Kinetic Branded mat, do y'all have any recommendations for a cheaper mat that will accomplish the same thing?

Also, are those sweat catching "bike thongs" that stretch between your handlebars and seat-post and prevent sweat from dripping on your frame/gears/cables worth it and do what they claim?

Thanks for the help.
    Chris

RoadBikeReview Member
    Go to a sporting good store like Big 5, Sports Chalet...etc. They have those mats for the gym, weights or exercise. They come in different sizes and majority has that anti-germ/bacteria on them.

They are a lot thicker and will last 10 times longer. Trust me on this because its not the trainer that will wear the mat, it's your cleats that will eventually carve a hole through.

As for those bike tongs, USELESS! It is such a big distraction and it gets in the way. Grab a towel and just wipe your sweat on your upper extremities in between sets. I just rinse my bike once a week.
    Last edited by zone5; 10-24-2012 at 07:43 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I got a mat at Kmart, it was in the sporting goods department and was all of $20, totally worth it.

The Cube
    agree on the big, general floor mat, and that the thong is not gonna be very useful. However, keeping sweat off the headset and seatpost junction is good to do. Since you're not actually moving forward, the sweat will drop straight onto them, unless you have a powerful enough fan to completely blow it away.

I always wrap my headset and seatpost/frame junction in plastic/saran wrap and tighten down with a little scotch tape. I've had a seatpost corrode to a frame from sweat exposure, (or so my LBS and I had thought) in the past because I didn't protect it. so it was this, or clean the areas after every trainer usage.
    K$

RoadBikeReview Member
    Door entry mats and runners can be found at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. These are rubber backed with carpeted top surfaces. They lie flat, don't slip, are impervious to water, sweat, oil and can be taken out and hosed off to clean.

I also use one of these under my bike work stand.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmunny19 View Post
    I always wrap my headset and seatpost/frame junction in plastic/saran wrap and tighten down with a little scotch tape. I've had a seatpost corrode to a frame from sweat exposure, (or so my LBS and I had thought) in the past because I didn't protect it. so it was this, or clean the areas after every trainer usage.
    Great minds think alike! Damn! I've done the Saran wrap on my break cables because that's what gets stuck the most (rear).

I never on the seatpost and what happened to yours happened to my seatpost. This is when I switched to all carbon post. Aluminum got so corroded that it almost cost me a frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Interesting take on the thongs from a couple of you.

I've always used one and never had an issue with it. It may have something to do with the fact that I ride a pretty small frame so the thong completely covers from the handlebars all the way to the seatpost.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Carpet store

Quote Originally Posted by hydroslyder View Post
    I just got a new Kurt Kinetic Road Machine and I need a mat to put under it to catch sweat and protect the floor. I would prefer not to buy the $60 Kurt Kinetic Branded mat, do y'all have any recommendations for a cheaper mat that will accomplish the same thing?

Also, are those sweat catching "bike thongs" that stretch between your handlebars and seat-post and prevent sweat from dripping on your frame/gears/cables worth it and do what they claim?
    Go to a carpet store and buy a remnant. Really cheap and available in all kinds of colors to match your bike, decore, eye color, etc.

Far better than the sweat catcher is a good fan setup. You want to have a lot of wind so you actually get a workout and not just an overheated sweat fest.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Go to a carpet store and buy a remnant. Really cheap and available in all kinds of colors to match your bike, decore, eye color, etc.

Far better than the sweat catcher is a good fan setup. You want to have a lot of wind so you actually get a workout and not just an overheated sweat fest.
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I bought a 5' x 7' rug at Walmart for $14.99

RoadBikeReview Member
    I put an old towel under mine - works flawlessly.
    Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes, well, he eats you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayAreaDude View Post
    I put an old towel under mine - works flawlessly.
    Very true. You might even have 1 or 2 in your house, too.

I'm interesting.
    Don't cheap out and use cardboard. It doesn't work. I don't have any idea why I thought it would. I now use a rubber exercise mat from a box box sporting goods store.
    "This thread gives me hope that the human race will render itself extinct in my lifetime...." PlatyPius
    "You're not a real cyclist unless you spend money needlessly....." ZoSoSwiM
    "Power is power and it has to be paid for." Alex_Simmons/RST