RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005

Blackburn Trakstand Ultra made by 1upusa?

I was just on Blackburn's site and noticed the Trakstand Ultra. It looks like the 1upusa trainer, and the copy sounds similar (Centriforce vs. Centrifigual Pressure Resistance). Are they manufactured by the same people?

On a sidenote, the AirFix multitool/co2 pump looks pretty cool, also.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Blackburn is licensing the resistance unit technology from 1Up USA. The Ultra should have the same feel, also the adjustable height, but a much stiffer frame and a slightly lower price. I've been riding the 1Up regularly for 6 months now (intervals and stuff) and I love it, but I'll replace it with the Ultra as soon as it's available.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    I saw it on beyondbikes.com. They have it listed for $299.99. Coupon code: THANX is good for 20% off, bringing it to $240. I am still debating whether or not to buy the CycleOps Fluid 2, so let me know how you like the Blackburn if you do get it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006

Ordered the Trakstand Ultra

I just ordered 2 of these. Was looking for a trainer for me and the girlfriend and got a price on these that made it impossible to pass up.

Only thing is that it has been out for a good 9 months now and there are absolutely no reviews for it on the internet and next to no mention of it in forums (this is the only thread I could find).

I emailed 1upUSA (they sell the Trakstand Ultra as well as their 1up brand) and the guy told me that this was essentially the same machine - except the 1up trainer had a couple of extras (I think a better release mechanism and a wider contact area for the rear wheel).

I hope the reason why no ones been talking about these is not that they were duds.. or worse.. or else I'll be stuck with a couple of lemons.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Cynan,

The TrakStand Ultra was introduced a good 9 months ago, but they only recently started shipping and arriving in shops, so the lack of reviews here is no cause for concern. We were just taking extra time to get everything perfect. That said, we sent 40 Ultra's out to CTS and Chris Carmichael a few months back, since the Ultra is now the official trainer of CTS, and their overall feedback has been very positive. Hope you and your girlfriend like yours.

Cheers,

Blackburn Marketing Guy

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    How's that for a response to a lonely post? Straight from the horses mouth!

I as well hope that we will have nothing but positive things to say about the Trakstand Ultra. Time will tell.

Thanks Blackburn Marketing Guy!

I wonder what the "official trainer of CTS" thing is all about
    Last edited by cynan; 09-13-2006 at 09:09 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    I've been eyeing the 1up, Kurt, & the Ultra for the winter time. Though I have to admit for a mere $20 more I'd get the 1up, just looks better.

Can anyone give any tire recommendations. I currently have Mich. Pros. I would the find something comparable that I can use both in & outdoors w/o having to switch out during the winter time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    I agree. If the difference is only $20, then I would probably go with the 1UP over the Trakstand Ultra as well.

Only thing is, you can currently get the Trakstand on Ebay for as low as $229, shipping included. I got an even slightly better deal than that - that's why I went with the Trakstand. Only problem is that by not dealing with 1UPUSA, you are not getting the reputed excellent customer service and lifetime warranty - which could be worth an extra $100...

I will let you know how what I think of the Trakstand when I get it. Should be sometime next week.

Note: For those looking at the 1UPUSA trainer: 1UPUSA has a store on Ebay selling the 1UP trainer for $20 less than their website. You get the same free shipping and warranty at the ebay store.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    I know this is kind of off topic.. but what are the pros and cons of Fluid vs. Wind trainers?

RoadBikeReview Member
    i've been riding the Blackburn TrakStand Ultra for the last 2 weeks and it's quite nice. I just don't know for how long the friction pad will last. When i installed the 3 others balls this weekend, i saw a lot of pad dust...

Quote Originally Posted by cynan
    I wonder what the "official trainer of CTS" thing is all about
    it's the Carmichael Training Systems, trainer of Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    My 1Up just got delivered today. I haven't ridden it yet, but will let you guys know what I think of it in a couple of weeks. I bought the one up because it looks like a quality piece. I am a mechanical engineer and must admit that I am a sucker for good looking mechanical stuff.

bbcngineer

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    I ended up going w/ the 1up. Got it delivered just last week, it only took a couple of days. I have yet to really use it much, other than a quick spin using the wife ride. It is indeed a quality piece of eqt. I do like that is does not place the bike 3-4" off the ground, but I believe a small 1" lift might be required to level out the bike. Nonetheless I look forward to spinning when it is bitter cold and/or too dang dark outside.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006

Angry Where Did The Resistance Go?!

I received the two Trakstand Ultras about 3 weeks ago. I have used one about 5 times (about an hr each time) and the second one has been used only once.

At first every thing was great. Plenty of resistance on the factory preset middle resistance level (3/6 balls installed). The trainer was always silky smooth and quiet.

The last time I used the trainer, however, I noticed the resistance dropping substantially. Now, there is hardly any resistance at all!

The trainer that has been only used once, still has plenty of resistance. I took apart the resistance mechs of both trainers to compare. The only difference I could find was that the resistance pad on the trainer that was used more felt much smoother.

Is this some horrible design flaw wherein the resistance pad wears out after only a handful of uses or am I missing something.

What gives?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    We'll get this sorted out. We have a lot of these things in the field already (including the bunch that CTS is using) and I can assure you it's not a design flaw (the design is the same as the 1UP btw) and the pad itself will not wear out this quickly...it'll be good for a long, long time.

First, it's possible that you might not have the resistance unit tension knob tightened enough. I know that sounds weird, but due to the trainer frame geometry, it'll "feel" pretty tight at the knob but still might be slipping a little. Please try inflating your tire to 100+psi and making sure that knob is good and tight and the resistance unit is not slipping at all, and see if your problem goes away.

Sounds simple, but please try that and see if it helps. If not, we'll have to see if maybe something is causing the flywheel is getting stuck and not moving into the friction plate...we haven't really heard of this but that's the only other possibility really. Keep us posted...whatever the case we want to make sure you have a working Ultra.

Cheers,

Blackburn Marketing Guy
    Last edited by Blackburn Marketing; 10-17-2006 at 08:57 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

Mine too

I've been having trouble too. I've had my unit a little longer than a month. I'm going to contact blackburn. I've already contacted 1up. My problem at first was that it would just start grabbing after a half hour. 1up told me to clean the pad off with a 220 sand paper. Then it was great for an hour and fourty five then started to get real hard to spin. Now it spins super easy. The tension on the tire is fine I think the problem is with a glazing of the friction pad. I'm wondering what it's supposed to look like. After I clean it there are bits of metal in the friction material I know on brake pads this is completly normal. But I'm already starting to get some grooves on the metal part and the friction material keeps glazing. Has anyone else had this problem. I've put less than 40 hours on it and had it apart 4 times. Suprising since everyone raves about how maintance free these are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    After a few weeks of trouble shooting, it was determined that the most likely cause of this loss of resistance was due to a bearing malfunction in the flywheel (the heavy disc that pushes against the resistance pad). To determine if this is the problem with yours, take the resistance unit apart, remove the flywheel and "spin" it on your finger (I know this is difficult because the thing is so darn heavy). You are lookin for a "bumpy" or unsmooth feeling. The lack of smoothness might not be that pronounced but when funcitoning correctly, the wheel will rotate as smoothly as silk around this center bearing.

It's surprising that such a small thing can totally ruin the performance of the trainer. But after finally replacing the flywheel on mine (after 1st replacing the resistance pad to no avail), the problem has completely dissapeared. Keeping fingers crossed. Perhaps Blackburn tried to cut costs from the 1-up buy design by sourcing cheaper bearings? Who knows. It does no good to make these speculations.

What I do know is that the support I received to remedy this matter was the best I have ever received for any product I have purchased. (Blackburn was quick to courier the parts to my door and provided prepaid shipping labels to send back the part AFTER sending me the new part). Hopefully you will have a similar experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Cynan thanks so much. I think you may be onto something. Because I've noticed mine isn't smooth and it feels like there is a bump in it. I thought it was my wheel, I have a second wheel itentical but even better (race wheel). But still had bump never put two and two together Thanks again I'm going to check it out tonight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

strike one

I tried calling blackburn at lunch and got an advertisment for a chat line then disconnect, I thought I must have dialed this wrong so after about 4 tries and two different advertisments never talked with a person in fact there was nothing at the other end to indicate it was blackburns number but it came from two sources one being the warranty infomation included with the stand What gives. I'm starting to regret my purchase. I have to be putting base miles on and I'm getting so ticked at this thing I can't even do half my workout before I want to kill someone. I'm begining to think I should have gone with the 1up or the Kurt.

kg1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

You should have gone with the Kurt

Three years of use and the thing works as well as the day I bought it. Great customer support too.

I don't have any relationship to the manufacturer other than as a customer.

Thanks.

kg1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

strike two

So I got home from work and called again same result from the 1-800 number so I called the reg number and got the machine this was at 4:40 their time closing was at 5:00. I left a message and now its noon the following day still haven't heard from them. So now I'm not only stuck with a piece of crap for a trainer I can't even get a person on the phone to tell them what a piece of crap this is I will never buy a blackburn product again or a bell. I once asked them a question about their light and got the worst answer so I didn't buy it, got another one that I'm thrilled with, I also got a vdo computer I'm so glad I didn't get the blackburn. I'm going to see if 1up will look at it and I guess I will fit the bill great deal for a month old product. Thanks Blackburn