Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Clif Bar alternatives

I have been eating Clif Bars on my rides for quite some time now, but have have gotten sick of them and they are getting tougher and tougher to get down during a ride. When I get them down they work great, but I'm interested in what others are eating. Eating is the key, because I like to eat something as opposed to a gel (which I also use) or any of the "candy" type of energy products. I like Lara bars, especially apple pie yum, but they are small and don't fill me up. I have seen the Hammer bars which are a possibility. One problem, I can't eat chocolate which sucks and eliminates some products.

There's a huge amount of products you can get to eat during the ride. And don't get stuck into the it has to be made for riding. Fig Newtons (or any of the newton cookies) are good on a ride, you could stick a banana in your back pocket and eat that. You could make mini sandwiches. You could try other bar makers, you mentioned Hammer, but also look into Powerbar and Honey Stinger, (their waffles are amazing). Hope that helps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    As far as bars go I don't know if you can improve on cliff bars as far as getting them down goes. All the other one's I've tried are drier or more chewey so tougher to get down so I've stuck with cliff bars when I want a bar.

Dried fruit seem pretty easy to get down. Figs and appricots are what I usually bring.
    Banannas (not dried) are good too. A bit of a pain to peel and eat during a spirited ride though.....but it's doable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Stamper View Post
    As far as bars go I don't know if you can improve on cliff bars as far as getting them down goes. All the other one's I've tried are drier or more chewey so tougher to get down so I've stuck with cliff bars when I want a bar.

Dried fruit seem pretty easy to get down. Figs and appricots are what I usually bring.
    Banannas (not dried) are good too. A bit of a pain to peel and eat during a spirited ride though.....but it's doable.
    I'm my wife's official banana opener on group rides...She hates biting the top to get them started...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I hope you are all peeling your bananas the easy way..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBJV56WUDng

Game on, b*tches!
    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506 View Post
    I'm my wife's official banana opener on group rides...She hates biting the top to get them started...
    I'm not even going to comment
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

Slightly Opinionated
    Honey Stinger waffles are now my goto. I don't think I could handle Clif Bars again.

Luna Bars are pretty tasty in a pinch.

I prefer real food. The Allen Lim rice bars were good, but a bit messy. Some pretels, newtons, cut up bagel...I'm going to try making real stroopwafels and see how those work.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

I ride in circles..
    I like fig bars.. they're rather dry so I drink right after.
    I've taken peanut butter and honey sandwiches before as well. Those are a nice treat after 2 hours of riding.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

The Dropped 1
    Look into The Pure Bar. Skip the Trail Mix bar as it has cacao nibs (which are AMAZING). They are similar to Lara Bars as well in weight/calories. I would imagine if you are riding basically endurance paced for 3-4 hours you might need more than just one bar, but I'm not sure I'd be able to eat more than one per hour. I also like to mix up my calories with bars and other items such as EFS Liquid Shot, Honey Stinger Waffles, and Clif Bloks.

If you really want a hefty bar, try the Bonk Breakers. Over 300 calories (they are tiny) and pack a punch with a big block of fat in them for the calories. They have, actually, helped me get through very low energy periods like the lead-in to a bonk I really like the PB/Banana. I'm an almond butter girl, but the AB/Honey just doesn't do it for me. They also have PB&J (and chocolate, which you said is a no-go).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    I noticed a significant improvement when i switched from the regular sized clif bars to the clif minis. I think it's easier to eat two of those spread out a bit than one regular size bar. If you want to get away from bars, my personal favorite is peanut butter and jelly/honey. It tastes good and provides a good boost. Just make sure you use cheap bread that will soak up the PBJ so it's moist when you eat it. Good bread is hard to eat with a dry mouth. Also, if you go with real food, put it in fold-over bags instead of ziplocks. They are much easier to work with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Another vote for Bonk Breakers.. PB&J is the best!

Going to try their Espresso bar sooner or later.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like the Clif Shot Bloks (cran-razz). Go down super easy - melt in your mouth.

More Cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM View Post
    I like fig bars.. they're rather dry so I drink right after.
    I've taken peanut butter and honey sandwiches before as well. Those are a nice treat after 2 hours of riding.
    My goto long ride food is peanut butter and nutella sandwich, no crust, cut into 4 pieces. I also like grapes. They generally stand up well in the pocket and go down fast.
    Pro rep, yo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    If you look around on the web, there are recipes to make your own. I haven't tried any yet, but I plan.

As for peeling bananas, use a knife to put a tiny slit in just below the stem before you leave the kitchen.

pmt
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Hammer Bars are great, as are NRG Bars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I eat handfuls of dried cranberries,blueberries,raisins and almonds.Crunchy and sweet and seem to work for me. For longer, harder rides I supplement this with 'GU' gels and fig newtons...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Nutella and banana sandwich on whole grain bread. For ridesover 2 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use various snack foods -- bananas, fig bars, and granola bars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    as far as store bought bars go, I love lara bars. Soft, all naturalish, tasty, calorie dense, bunch of flavors. But for the most part I would just make something on wheat bread, peanut butter, banana and honey is good, or pizza.... mmmm... pizza.

Re-Cyclist
    You can peel bananas before the ride and put them in baggies. You can squeeze them into your mouth and keep your gloves cleaner as well as not have to peel while riding.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Eyes View Post
    You can peel bananas before the ride and put them in baggies. You can squeeze them into your mouth and keep your gloves cleaner as well as not have to peel while riding.
    please post a video
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Homemade oatmeal, raisin, walnut cookies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Honey Stinger bars and waffles are great, as are Lara Bars. If you're looking for really high-calorie, ProBars might be worth looking at. They're dense, so you get something like 400 calories in a small package, and I think they're great for long rides and races like IM when I want lots of calories. They're actually more of a meal replacement but I love them, but they might not have the fat/protein/carb balance you're looking for, so check that out first. Their fruition bars are lighter, more like standard energy bars. All those I listed are my go-tos.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've become a fan of the Honey Stinger waffles. The vanilla flavor is outstanding! Also, the Gu chews (gummies) are really good too. I prefer the watermelon flavor since it causes me to salivate more than the other flavors. It helps cut my water intake a bit

RoadBikeReview Member
    Honey Stinger waffles are the greatest food ever created! I love those things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast