RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012

Compression tights?

Does anyone on here use compression tights to aid recovery? I use the regular foam roller, massage stock, epsom salt baths, ect. but I'm always looking for more help. Good idea or waste of money?

Master debator.
    Honestly, I did a few times. I think I have better luck with immediate stretching and self-massage of my legs right after the ride than anything else.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't know how much they help with recovery. They make my legs feel better while wearing them. In that respect, I think they're worth it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I don't 'know' any scientific facts but my take is they help your legs feel good (or more accurately, less bad) because sore muscles don't shift around as much but they don't actually do anything for the recovery process.
    They may even hurt recovery. Totally taking out my rear here because I don't know but logically they would hinder blood circulation (which aids recovery) and because they reduce pain might con you into pushing your legs harder thus delaying any recovery.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Just buy some Castelli leg warmers in your PI size. (they are so freakin tight, it's like compression wear).

If it doesn't help your recovery, at least you have a nice set of leg warmers.

I play for keeps
    Joe Friel just checked in on the issue again in the last few weeks with some links to some good studies. He sums up:

"I doubt there is a significant improvement in performance while wearing them... But there may be a post-workout benefit that could speed recovery prior to the next workout or race. Iíll keep watching for this topic in the literature and let you know what I find."

Full article-
    http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2013/04/updates-on-compression-clothing-and-block-periodization.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by misterwaterfallin View Post
    Does anyone on here use compression tights to aid recovery? I use the regular foam roller, massage stock, epsom salt baths, ect. but I'm always looking for more help. Good idea or waste of money?
    Just lie on your back and prop your legs up agaist a wall. Read a magazine for a few minutes, stand up, and repeat. That works really well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    I'm wearing my zoots right now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Just lie on your back and prop your legs up agaist a wall. Read a magazine for a few minutes, stand up, and repeat. That works really well.
    I'm doing that right now using an iPad mini.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    I'm doing that right now using an iPad mini.
    I do that as well but it's not like the tights would take place of stretching or rolling or anything else. I've heard people wear them to bed after hard days/races so that's what I was hoping to do in addition to everything else

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    There is some research that shows positive/significant improvements related to recovery although the studies were reasonably small sample sizes. I have not to date found any good quality studies that show improvement during activity.

Anecdotably I have worn them regularly each night during a 7d stage race and they seemed to help. Of course also doing stretching/rolling as part of recovery. Another good strategy is ice baths following hard training, just not much fun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Squeezing the Muscle: Compression Clothing and Musc... [PLoS One. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

Fresh.....

PLoS One. 2013 Apr 17;8(4):e60923. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0060923. Print 2013.
    Squeezing the Muscle: Compression Clothing and Muscle Metabolism during Recovery from High Intensity Exercise.
    Sperlich B, Born DP, Kaskinoro K, Kalliokoski KK, Laaksonen MS.
    Source

Department of Sport Science, University of Wuppertal, Wuppertal, Germany ; Department of Sport Science, University AF Munich, Munich, Germany.
    Abstract

The purpose of this experiment was to investigate skeletal muscle blood flow and glucose uptake in m. biceps (BF) and m. quadriceps femoris (QF) 1) during recovery from high intensity cycle exercise, and 2) while wearing a compression short applying ∼37 mmHg to the thigh muscles. Blood flow and glucose uptake were measured in the compressed and non-compressed leg of 6 healthy men by using positron emission tomography. At baseline blood flow in QF (P = 0.79) and BF (P = 0.90) did not differ between the compressed and the non-compressed leg. During recovery muscle blood flow was higher compared to baseline in both compressed (P<0.01) and non-compressed QF (P<0.001) but not in compressed (P = 0.41) and non-compressed BF (P = 0.05; effect size = 2.74). During recovery blood flow was lower in compressed QF (P<0.01) but not in BF (P = 0.26) compared to the non-compressed muscles. During baseline and recovery no differences in blood flow were detected between the superficial and deep parts of QF in both, compressed (baseline P = 0.79; recovery P = 0.68) and non-compressed leg (baseline P = 0.64; recovery P = 0.06). During recovery glucose uptake was higher in QF compared to BF in both conditions (P<0.01) with no difference between the compressed and non-compressed thigh. Glucose uptake was higher in the deep compared to the superficial parts of QF (compression leg P = 0.02). These results demonstrate that wearing compression shorts with ∼37 mmHg of external pressure reduces blood flow both in the deep and superficial regions of muscle tissue during recovery from high intensity exercise but does not affect glucose uptake in BF and QF.

No measure of performance though.

Planning to "get into" this literature this summer. There is possibly an Ice-bath study going on too. (not mine though).
    "The lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life apparently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are consumed."......http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?reco...10490&page=275

Feel free to PM me nutrition questions. I will answer them if I have time.....

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    My friend is sponsored by Zoot and gave me a pair of their $50 compression socks. Very nice. But to be honest, they are no better than the $15 Jobst compression stockings I got from walgreens.

I did a stage race last weekend. I was really worried about my recovery and wore the zoot every day. Between days 2 and 3 I took an ice path. Significant shrinkage! I felt great on day 3.

As a grown man who shaves his legs, I don't care if it's all placebo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sdeeer View Post
    Squeezing the Muscle: Compression Clothing and Musc... [PLoS One. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

Fresh.....
    snip.

No measure of performance though.

Planning to "get into" this literature this summer. There is possibly an Ice-bath study going on too. (not mine though).
    I recently watched a quick talk on icing, and how it is counter productive in that it slows your blow flow and slows the lymphatic system from expelling waste. This made sense to me, what are your thoughts?

In other news I ordered a pair of tights to wear after riding. I will report back on my thoughts