Roadbike Rider

Core Strengthening is working

I'm 59 and have a BMI of about 23.5 on a muscular build so I'm decently lean. I ride 10-16 hours per week year round, more in the summer. I mix long rides with intervals. I have a high fibre-low fat diet (usually).

I have always had a curve in my lower back and a little bulge in my stomach. I have always stretched a lot but did not do strengthening exercises. I had a series of lower back flare ups in the summer, caused more by moving boxes and stuff, not directly from riding.

In late August I finally started taking core strengthening more seriously and my core must have been pretty weak because, what an improvement!

• - I look thinner although I have not lost weight
    • - My posture is better
    • - I find little things like dressing and standing for long periods easier

On the bike

• - I have more stability to turn on the power while still seated, so I get out of the saddle less
    • - When I do get out of the saddle I feel fresher so I can generate better power for shorter hills or the steeper sections on long hills
    • - Relative to my riding buddies I feel like I'm riding really strong
    • - After an intense ride only my legs are sore, not my lower and upper back. I need less stretching to loosen up
    The most amazing thing is that I feel it all the time, sitting, walking, riding and standing. The feedback is great and it keeps me doing the core exercises.

I do 20-30 minutes, 4-5 times per week, I don't use any equipment just holds and callisthenics like planks and crunches.

I should have been doing this all along.
    Last edited by Chainstay; 10-05-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Bullets are screwy
    "It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to push this button. "
    John Brunner (Stand on Zanzibar)

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    Yes.

I made a resolution ten months ago to do 8 minute abs every morning. It was great. Three or four months into the year I was racing heavily and dropped off to only few times per week. It delivers. It's actually a pretty good little ab routine. Planks are good too.

8 Minute Abs - YouTube

Climbs like a sprinter...
    Last year I did core, this year I did not. Last year I was awesome, this year I was not. Just sayin'.
    "It's turtles all the way down."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Local Hero View Post
    Yes.

I made a resolution ten months ago to do 8 minute abs every morning. It was great. Three or four months into the year I was racing heavily and dropped off to only few times per week. It delivers. It's actually a pretty good little ab routine. Planks are good too.

8 Minute Abs - YouTube
    I made a similar resolution at about the same time. I really must put it into action.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I do Carmichael's Core+Flexibility DVD, a 30min workout, once or twice a week. I can tell if I've been slacking with this workout.

Edit: I think a good core+flex workout is an awesome thing to be doing on rest days.
    Last edited by spade2you; 10-05-2012 at 10:09 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Good timing. Going to start core work next week. My objective is pretty straightforward, drop 10 more lbs and hit 10% or less fat %(for me that is 180lb goal starting from 190lb). Having an easier time with my group rides would be nice too. I'm trying the cyclocore routine. I'll try to report back with what I observe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I need to do more core work, kind of took a downhill on it couple months ago. Thanks for the reminder.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Winter work

Quote Originally Posted by Chainstay View Post
    I'm 59 and have a BMI of about 23.5 on a muscular build so I'm decently lean. I ride 10-16 hours per week year round, more in the summer. I mix long rides with intervals. I have a high fibre-low fat diet (usually).

I have always had a curve in my lower back and a little bulge in my stomach. I have always stretched a lot but did not do strengthening exercises. I had a series of lower back flare ups in the summer, caused more by moving boxes and stuff, not directly from riding.

In late August I finally started taking core strengthening more seriously and my core must have been pretty weak because, what an improvement!

• - I look thinner although I have not lost weight
    • - My posture is better
    • - I find little things like dressing and standing for long periods easier

On the bike

• - I have more stability to turn on the power while still seated, so I get out of the saddle less
    • - When I do get out of the saddle I feel fresher so I can generate better power for shorter hills or the steeper sections on long hills
    • - Relative to my riding buddies I feel like I'm riding really strong
    • - After an intense ride only my legs are sore, not my lower and upper back. I need less stretching to loosen up
    The most amazing thing is that I feel it all the time, sitting, walking, riding and standing. The feedback is great and it keeps me doing the core exercises.

I do 20-30 minutes, 4-5 times per week, I don't use any equipment just holds and callisthenics like planks and crunches.

I should have been doing this all along.
    I started doing core strengthening in the winter to help with skiing as I was getting a sore lower back after a long day on the slopes. It helped tremendously with skiing and of course carried over to the summer. In the winter I do a fairly varied program and in the summer I just do exercises with the workout ball and the roller. It's a good thing!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Despite 'thinking' my core was in pretty good shape already, dedicated and focused core work over last winter helped me a great deal. In addition to for sports I seem to get a lot less unexplained nagging little pains (the type usually blamed on 'sleeping wrong' because it's not clear what happened).
    I'm definitely going to try and stick with it every winter (so about 4 months a year).

When I started doing core workouts I convinced myself I was doing it to help my cycling but if I'm honest about it the real reason was I really hate sitting on the trainer and doing core work was a way to do less of that and not feel bad because I had brainwashed myself into thinking core work was just as good. Little did I know until winter was over and I got on the road that I really was helping my cycling greatly not just escaping trainer time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I know I need it. I am not disciplined enough to do it myself at home. Nor do I know if I am doing the poses and stuff correctly. Yet finding yoga or pilates around here (except at 9:30am) is impossible! Once a week class is not enough reason for me to join a gym.

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Yes.

8 Minute Abs - YouTube

Thanks for sharing the link!

I need to start working on my core.
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Yoga for cyclists

Quote Originally Posted by DesnaePhoto View Post
    I know I need it. I am not disciplined enough to do it myself at home. Nor do I know if I am doing the poses and stuff correctly. Yet finding yoga or pilates around here (except at 9:30am) is impossible! Once a week class is not enough reason for me to join a gym.
    Head on over to radbikerider.com and order their Yoga for Cyclists e-book by Joe & Maria Kita. You don't have to go to a yoga class or a gym, you just have to have some self-discipline.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I swore my back was completely blown out early this spring, had MRI, everything was ok, doctor
    told me to start core, but like some men I scoffed at the "gymrat" ladies exercises. Two months
    ago I started extreme abs on my on demand. I would never have believed the transformation,
    seriously I went from hurting very bad to nothing, and I mean no pain at all. I am so grateful.
    All I said was that our son, the apple of our three eyes, Martha being a cyclops, our son is a beanbag, and you get testy!

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    +1 for yoga. And I really prefer taking yoga AT the gym. Riding around with a bunch of surly dudes gets old. Yoga is a welcome changed of scenery.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    i'm working on getting my cert for personal training, i had a herniated disc 2 years ago and made to work up my core once I get back up on my feet.

My Regiment

-Plank (45lb plate on upper/lower back)
    -Side Planks
    -Power Wheel/Barbell Roll out

i've never done crunches or situps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for sharing your results, I'll start working on this asap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes.

8 Minute Abs - YouTube
    wow, thanks for the link!
    I just tried this and it's burning for sure.
    I'm going to try and continue this routine, as I know for sure I need some core strengthening

RoadBikeReview Member
    Pushups are great for your abs as well as your chest/back/arms. If you are doing the form correctly they are basically a plank where you move your arms. If you can do enough pushups you can get a decent ab workout. If your chest/arms aren't up to doing a lot of pushups yet, do a set then rest in the plank position then do another set. I do a upper/core lifting routing once a week and a max-set pushup set (up to 50) once a week and it has been working out well.
    Specialized Allez Comp Apex- '12 56cm
    Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro- '12 56cm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    I decided to give this core workout a go this winter. At 58 I'm in reasonable shape. Ride 5 days a week about 140 miles, lift three days, so two days of core workouts would be good.

Good feed back here thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I started doing core workouts I convinced myself I was doing it to help my cycling but if I'm honest about it the real reason was I really hate sitting on the trainer and doing core work was a way to do less of that and not feel bad because I had brainwashed myself into thinking core work was just as good. Little did I know until winter was over and I got on the road that I really was helping my cycling greatly not just escaping trainer time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been doing some core exercises... mostly planking. I have to bump-up this program.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Well, I have been doing cyclocore on and off all winter. I have also focused on my nutrition, even more focused than in the past. Eating 5 times per day, focusing on a more plant based regimen, less reliant on animal proteins(I still consume animal proteins, just not 3 times per day anymore avg 1 per day).

The core work has definitely helped. My back feels better doing my workouts, I have better flexibility too. I can stay in the drops much longer now even during boring indoor workouts. So all in all, good progress. I have a better base to build on when I move more outdoors this year that is for certain.

As for my current status. I am 12-13% body fat, 182lbs, and still 6' tall I should be in the high 170s once the mileage increases.

My overall observation on core work. It certainly can't hurt anyone to include it in your weekly routines. The cyclocore workouts made is easy for me to follow something in place of making it up as I went along. Worth the 99 bucks or whatever it was when I bought it? Sure, I say so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Responding to the OP and work I was doing in my 50's, yes, appropriate core work really helps. Especially climbing. See Foundation: Redefine Your Core, Conquer Back Pain, and Move with Confidence: Eric Goodman, Peter Park, Lance Armstrong: 9781609611002: Amazon.com: Books for something that builds true core strength and support for your spine.

Examples also on Utube
    I got six Cadillacs, five Lincolns, four Fords, six Mercuries, three T-Birds, and a Mustang.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    TOO ALL,
    Thank you for getting me back on track.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    I have always had a bend in my returning and a little stick out in my stomach. I have always expanded a lot but did not do building up workouts. I had a sequence of returning surface ups in the summer, triggered more by moving bins and stuff, not straight from driving.