Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012

Crit racing with A1 Allez

So i've decided to uses my Allez for Crit racing..problem is the allez is all stock component.Shimano 2300,What kind of upgrade should i make?I'm a newbie i plan to start racing problably in a few more months...should i upgrade or simply get a better bike?

I need recommendation for components,racing tires, and ideal bike weight for racing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crit racing with A1 Allez-cam00048-small.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I think the best advice you are gonna get is to just go race your bike as is. See if you even like racing. After that, the best upgrade you can do is your own body, ie training, weight loss (if you have any to lose), etc. Work on that first, then start to look at spending money imho

I play for keeps
    As you just get started the difference between a 15lb bike and a 19lb bike is a non issue.

jlamb is right. Go race what you got. See where it takes you.

The money invested in entry fees will make you much faster than buying fancy parts.

You're going to want to save your scratch for the things that will keep you on the road; kit, winter gear, maintenance...it adds up fast if you ride a lot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    I've done a lot of group riding ,and watched a couple of crit race.Most of the bike i've seen were modified in some way,i spoke with my lbs dealer and he told me that the stock allez is best suited for training. The bike weight about 22 pound by the way, i'm not sure if that will matter in a race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm gonna level with ya. If it's your first crit, you're likely to be dropped no matter what you are riding. Lots of nice gear also gets destroyed in bike races. Just sayin'.

Bikes make girls hotter!
    Oct 2011
    Spade is correct.

I have been paying my crit dues on a 2010 Allez. In summer 2013 I am probably using my 2010 Trek 1.2 frame. The Allez is fine but the Trek is a better color haha!, I'm getting my rump beaten down by people on steel frames and other 'less costly' machines. Speed is all in the rider, race your Allez into the ground then upgrade.. it's what it was made for.
    It is pretty much safe to assume I have no idea what I'm doing and that I need more fixing than my bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Very well,majority rule.I'll do my best with what i have, hopefully i won't get smoke to badly.I will continue riding and get better,i'll trade the Allez when the frame dies.

Thanks all for the advice

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ditch the reflectors and presta nuts that are like 1" from the rim anyway...

Then go racing. It'll be fun to eventually beat someone who was under the false impression that an uber expensive bike was needed when just getting started.

Dan

I play for keeps
    Quote Originally Posted by gio957 View Post
    ... lbs dealer and he told me that the stock allez is best suited for training.
    I can't imagine a bike shop trying to sell you something

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Also ditch the protective plastic on rear cog-set.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007

Crit racing with A1 Allez

Get rid of seat bag too.

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    I'm sure I could win some Cat 5 crits on that bike. Take off the saddle bag, lights, reflectors, the plastic thing near the cassette, and maybe one of the water bottle cages.

You're probably good to go "as is" for now -- put in a bunch of base miles over the winter, do your ten Cat 5s, and when you upgrade to Cat 4 then you should upgrade your bike (or bike parts, wheels first?). Make yourself earn it by upgrading first. The longer you wait and research, the more informed you will be when you decide to upgrade.
    Last edited by Local Hero; 10-14-2012 at 02:09 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I learned quick in my first race (XC mtb) that I could've had the best/lightest bike in the world and I still would've gotten left in the first 5 min.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    i'm not sure if that will matter in a race.
    Last edited by Tobey69; 10-14-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Bikes, Guns & Metal...
    Man, I raced for the first time last July on my Allez with Sora and Tiagra componets, I think the next lower bike is the AL and let me tell you, it does not matter if you race a $10,000 bike or a $900, just race and make the best out of it; the bike is good enough.

Is not the machine, is the operator that makes the difference...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    What kind of upgrade should i make?
    Health insurance.

Bikes make girls hotter!
    Oct 2011
    Think of all the older crowd still riding their 27 pound 1985 Centurians with flat pedals and all that. When you can beat them you get a CF racer
    It is pretty much safe to assume I have no idea what I'm doing and that I need more fixing than my bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Whatever you do, secure your rear quick release so it's between the seat and chainstays. Meaning 180 degrees from the position you have it in the picture above.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    I've raced my 2006 Kuota Kredo (CF) with Dura Ace and my Felt F65 (AL) with Ultegra mix. While there are differences in the bike, my performance on each was similar. So, race your bike, take off all the stuff people mentioned as it is not needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by uzziefly
    One word : wtf??
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson
    That's three.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Newnan3 View Post
    I learned quick in my first race (XC mtb) that I could've had the best/lightest bike in the world and I still would've gotten left in the first 5 min.
    I survived a litle longer on my first bike reace (also XC mtb)... it's when my asthma attacks really hit me 1/2 through the 7 miles of technical riding (felt like 6 miles of climbing)....

So i've decided to uses my Allez for Crit racing..problem is the allez is all stock component.Shimano 2300,What kind of upgrade should i make?I'm a newbie i plan to start racing problably in a few more months...should i upgrade or simply get a better bike?

I need recommendation for components,racing tires, and ideal bike weight for racing.
    The Allez' aluminum frame is well regarded for racing. Hides in the shadows of carbon fiber frames.... but that's usually expected these days because a lot of people want CF....

if you upgrade anything... wheels. It would be transferrable to the next bike you might might possibly get, if the crit racing bug really hits you.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Get a Pinarello Dogma, a pro coach, some EPO and a motor in your frame. Oh and don't forget your powermeter, and super light carbon wheels.

Then show up in non-bibshort shorts with a sleeveless jersey. Or maybe a full pro kit of your favorite team.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    that bike looks great for crits!!

The truth is, in flat crits, a very large percentage of your resistance is due to wind loading, which doesn't differ much from bike to bike with similar body positioning.

Accelerations can be made easier with less mass, but a very large percentage of that mass is your body weight.
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 10-15-2012 at 10:36 AM.

but thinking about it
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    Whatever you do, secure your rear quick release so it's between the seat and chainstays. Meaning 180 degrees from the position you have it in the picture above.
    That won't be help; his front wheel's on backwards, he's going to have to ride in reverse.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Undecided View Post
    That won't be help; his front wheel's on backwards, he's going to have to ride in reverse.
    ;-)Well it won't help his racing forwards or backwards if his his QR opens and the rear wheel falls off. Dangerous for those around him as well...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Depending on the course & the field, there are times when the opportunity to drink is limited. My last crit, I only brought one large bottle & when I was finished it was still 3/4's full. As for upgrades, get good tires with low rolling resistance with good puncture resistance. Other than that follow the general advice given by all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast