Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Cycle ops Wind trainer and tires

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Mr. Bill 
#1 ·
Does anyone have this trainer or know if it would suffice to keep me riding during the winter? Also would you recommended getting a cheap tire to use on it, or are my standard tires fine (ie no excess wear etc.)? Thanks.

#2 ·
It will be...

asdasd44 said:
Does anyone have this trainer or know if it would suffice to keep me riding during the winter? Also would you recommended getting a cheap tire to use on it, or are my standard tires fine (ie no excess wear etc.)? Thanks.
It will be fine. As you probably know already, this trainer is a bit loud, but that's about the only problem I ever had with the one I had for awhile. Sure the resistance is not able to be adjusted, but I never had a problem with that either, I just used a bigger gear, and pedaled harder. Some will tell you that you NEED variable resistance, hogwash. It's nice, but you can make due with what you've got, and I've known other people who would place an old towel, or something of that nature under the flywheel to get some extra resistance if you really need it, which, again, I never found that I did.

If the tire that you have on your bike now has some miles on it, use it on the trainer, but it will wear out in not too long on the trainer, and when you do have to replace, then get a nice, heavy, cheap tire to use until spring comes, and you can ride on the road again.

#3 ·
They sell trainer tires

They sell special tires to be used exclusively on trainers, not to be ridden on the road. I don't know anything about these tires but I would the material is tougher, probably harder so it wouldn't be able to grip the road as well. It also may not have the flex in the sidewalls for handling.

#4 ·
lawrence said:
They sell special tires to be used exclusively on trainers, not to be ridden on the road. I don't know anything about these tires but I would the material is tougher, probably harder so it wouldn't be able to grip the road as well. It also may not have the flex in the sidewalls for handling.
I recently bought the Continental "Ultra Sport Hometrainer" tire, and I'd highly recommend it. I haven't put enough hours on it as of yet to make claims regarding longevity, but I can tell you that in the first hours of use it showed absolutely no wear at all; even the little bit of mold-flashing down the center was still intact. My road tire was already getting worn flat in the center after twenty minutes. And it grips the roller far better than my road tire, hardly showing notable slippage even during out-of-the-saddle stomping. I'm very impressed with it.

#7 ·
asdasd44 said:
One more question. The trainer came with a skewer, should I use that one, or the one already on my bike?
I've got the same trainer, just endured an hour on it this afternoon. you can use whatever skewer you want but, in my experience, the clamp is rough on shimano plastic skewer ends so if you like your parts new and shiny looking use the one that came with it. I run the wheel just tight enough to reliably contact the resistance drum.

#8 ·
I used the Continental Home Trainer tire - it spit rubber out like it was going out of style. I had yellow shards all over the place. I went to a cheapo Hutchinson tire - the thing still looks brand new after about 140 miles. The Conti was all rough and shredding after about 40. May have been a defect, but I doubt I'll try another. The cheapo was $14 at the LBS.

#11 ·
asdasd44 said:
I actually just got that tire this morning along with the trainer. The trainer did not come with any instructions however, and I am wondering what pressure to run the tires at and how tight the roller should be against the tire?
The maximum pressure on the 700X23 tire is 120 PSI, while recommended pressure is 110, which is what I run in mine. I crank my roller down as tightly as my little fingers can manage, but I suppose that may vary with different trainers, since with a different tensioning mechanism and larger knob you'd be able to get it much tighter. When I'm done I always back the tension off - don't know if that constant small-area pressure would deform the tire, but it seems like a good precaution to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.