Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

dead legs

678 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Ridgetop 
#1 ·
After a relatively light summer of riding (@1200 miles for july/august) I participated in the Highlander Cycle Tour here in Central NY's Finger Lakes. I must admit I did the Lowlander with 6000' of climbing over the 100 miles rather than the Highlander with over 11000'. In any case, I certainly wasn't ready for it, but I got through it okay--6 hours 15' in the saddle, plus SAG time--but am now experiencing some seriously dead legs. Is there a physiological basis for this, or is it likely just a mental one? I go out riding and am just spent, I've lost over a mile an hour on average--regardless of terrain--and just feel cruddy.

#2 ·
smoooooove said:
After a relatively light summer of riding (@1200 miles for july/august) I participated in the Highlander Cycle Tour here in Central NY's Finger Lakes. I must admit I did the Lowlander with 6000' of climbing over the 100 miles rather than the Highlander with over 11000'. In any case, I certainly wasn't ready for it, but I got through it okay--6 hours 15' in the saddle, plus SAG time--but am now experiencing some seriously dead legs. Is there a physiological basis for this, or is it likely just a mental one? I go out riding and am just spent, I've lost over a mile an hour on average--regardless of terrain--and just feel cruddy.
How long has it been since the ride? .. Definitely physiological if it is was this weekend.. you survived, and you will be stronger in a couple days if you recover and rest.. definitely take it for a few days after that ride.

Some day you will be able to recover quicker if you keep at it.

#3 ·
My little riding group did the Death Ride in July. About 11,000' of climbing in 100 miles on the part I did. A couple of days later we did a relatively easy ride (about 40 miles and 3000' of climb) and everyone pulled over at the first climb and began checking their brakes. Everyone's legs were still feeling the effects of the Death Ride and thought their brakes were rubbing. It was hilarious that all but one of us did that. A couple of days later I still felt like my legs were a little weak. It took a total of about a week before I was 100% again. I'm sure for some people it is a lot less recovery period, but for me a week is about right after an all day lots of climbing ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.