Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Dead Legs question

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  QuiQuaeQuod 
#1 ·
I’ve been following a training regimen I found online. The first series of sessions called for seated hill repeats at low cadence (30 seconds) with easier rides in between. I’ve done 3 of these seated hill interval sessions so far, last Tuesday, Saturday and this Tuesday. In between, my legs felt sore, but I've felt far far worse after other exercises.

Last night, I went to ride one of my favorite rides, its hard, hilly and good training. I made it about 6 miles before I felt like I was pushing a 40 pound bike around. I left the group and took an easier route. I still did about 20 miles with some climbing.

This morning, I had the time and thought an active recovery might help. I still felt like I was pushing around dead weight. The bike just feels sluggish and my legs feel dead.

the next phase of the plan is 20 minute TT intervals. I'm supposed to get up early tomorrow and do one or two but I feel too dead to do any.

Should I keep going and work through it or take a few days off and let my legs recover?

I'm 36 yo, 225 lbs, with 1500 miles so far this year.

See less See more
#2 ·
Recover before you move into the next phase. There is something to be gained mentally by fighting through these times, but if the power is just not there, what exactly are you gaining?

#3 ·
This may sound opposite to most beliefs out there, but it has worked for me. I was advised by a former national Points Race champion and current master national champion (who is coached by a former national/Olympic coach) that when we are going through those "dead leg" days or are feeling flat, we need to ride through it.

The thought process behind that is that if we can push our bodies through feeling tired and flat, our body will adjust within a week or so and come back stronger. This is similar to stage racing were after a couple of days you feel dead, but after 3-4 days you start coming around and are stronger.

Now, if your legs are feeling fully sore before, during and after a ride, then its time to take it easy. If they just feel heavy, keep on pushing.

It has worked for me, and while it sucks BIG TIME, but you will notice an improvement.

#5 ·
Last night was the first time in 2 weeks I could ride reasonably well. I had dead leggs for those 2 weeks. I think mine was due to going from one hard ride during the week to two and the Saturday ride was long and fairly hard. At the same time it got hot and it is always very humid. Result=dead leggs. Other than a crit I tired a week ago (with little sucess) I just been tooling around until last night. I think the leggs are about 85% back. No more long hard rides in the heat and humidity if I plan on going hard a couple of times during the week. For me I have to reduce stress and recover. But I'm old, recovery is more important and the heat is harder especially in high humidity.

#6 ·
I've found more often i get dead legs if i didn't ride the day before at all.
If you've got them, take it easy. Your body is telling you this. Perhaps a dead leg day is a good time to work on skills, high cadence with low power.

also, if your legs are dead, what did you do after the last ride? Did you eat right away? Stretch properly? These two are easy to overlook but can have a huge impact on how you feel the next day.

#7 ·
hard one.

This "how much is too much?" versus "how much is enough" debate is more complicated than I know the answer to.

But I get frustrated by hearing that "your body is trying to tell you something" when you are tired, or sore, or whatever. Come on.

We've all climbed a big, nasty hill, or done a super-threshold interval, right? That burning feeling in every inch if your being as you try to avoid losing your lunch? Yeah, that's your body telling you to knock it the frack off, this is too much, &c&c&c.

So, Kennedy, it's tough to say in your case. Do you really feel "Too dead to do any?" If you do, then you've answered your own question, right? If you can't be productive out there then don't do it! I think you've gained a lot of fitness, though, this year, and if it were me I wouldn't take time entirely off, either, just let the "chronic training load" back off a little bit before you hit it hard again, eh?

But if it feels like your legs are in your shoes and your head is still at home, it just might be time to pack it in for the day...

#8 ·
Kennedy said:
I’ve been following a training regimen I found online. The first series of sessions called for seated hill repeats at low cadence (30 seconds) with easier rides in between.
How easy are your easy rides? I ask because I bet they are not easy enough. If you get into your big ring on those easy rides, they are not easy enough. Heck, if you get into the smaller half of your cogs they are probably not easy enough. (I say that knowing you are relatively new to this game).

So, what are these easy rides you have been doing? Any hills? Miles and speed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.