Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    54

    Do I need a better base layer or a heavier jersey?

    Hi,

    Trying to extend the riding season a bit. I am in central Massachusetts and my chest is getting chilled after 30 minutes in mid-40* weather. I tend to be on the cold side, I think slow metabolism. Am hoping to ride into the high 30's. After that we'll have snow on the ground and that is too hard core for me.

    I have a Cannondale jacket that is fairly windproof - it was the heaviest one on the rack when I bought it this past April. I wear that with an aging thermal undershirt (not cotton, some synthetic fabric). No jersey as the ones I have are all short sleeved and meant for warm weather.

    I suspect I may need an improved base layer, but wonder if a long sleeved jersey would be a better way to add layers so keep the old thermal shirt and add the jersey. Are the long sleeved ones heavier than the summer weight jerseys or just as lightweight?

    I am currently unemployed. Although not destitute I am trying to make a careful purchase here hence the debate about base layer vs. a jersey.

    Also, Is this a decent base layer??:
    http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...ew/1004600-418

    Hope you can help....Mike

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,445
    Heavy baselayers help, a windbreaker helps, heck, just a cotton shirt between layers will help.

    If you're looking a baselayer, this thread has some deals. Craft Pro Zero Long sleeve Base

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    164
    layers layers layers. if your chest is the problem, maybe just throw a short sleeve jersey on over the undershirt.

    and on a budget....check out one of those 'Ross' stores if you have one near you. they always seem to have some reebok/underarmor/nike undershirts for $10 or so. made for football, but itll have the same wicking properties as some $80 undershirt at your LBS. i have a couple and they've been great through some cold colorado days (sub 30*) so far.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    851
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit
    if your chest is the problem, maybe just throw a short sleeve jersey on over the undershirt.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Or any other sort of layer -- even a t-shirt. The outer layer will block the wind, the inner layers are to help keep your heat in. It's better if they're a little loose, though, as the air between the layers is what helps insulate.

    Asad

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by asad137
    Exactly what I was thinking. Or any other sort of layer -- even a t-shirt. The outer layer will block the wind, the inner layers are to help keep your heat in. It's better if they're a little loose, though, as the air between the layers is what helps insulate.

    Asad
    Definitely. I might posit that the base layer and the top layer are by far the most important/ I personally prefer to wear a fleece-lined or wool shirt underneath my outer layers even if the shirts aren't super fancy new-fangled materials. When its really cold, its more important that you keep your core nice and warm.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    155
    I had the same problem with my chest getting cold....and I bought a craft Wind Stopper base layer and it's works great. It has a windproof shield in the front that keeps you warm.

    http://www.craft-usa.com/cra_shop_zo...id=489&bcsex=m

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    91
    You can try to look for some merino wool shirt from Target to keep your core warm. And you need something that is 100% windproof on the outside. Also wear a scarf or buff around your neck to prevent air from entering from that end.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,916
    DO NOT spend $40 for Underarmour. That money would be far better spent with one (or two) of these: http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C0988 use the code 10pbk and get another 10% off. Craft is awesome. I hate the compression feel of the Underarmour as it chaffes my chest hair and nips.

    Get the Craft base layer and then layer on top of that with long sleeve t-shirts or even a sweatshirt and top it off with a windstopping jacket. As someone else said, start with a good baselayer and a good outer shell. You can add regular clothes in between until you get the temp right.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    500
    I have a vest I got from Performance. It's windbreaker fabric on the front and mesh on the back. Keeps my chest nice and warm...

  10. #10
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    22,643
    More layers, thermal jacket, or ride harder.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by ptfmb71
    I had the same problem with my chest getting cold....and I bought a craft Wind Stopper base layer and it's works great. It has a windproof shield in the front that keeps you warm.

    http://www.craft-usa.com/cra_shop_zo...id=489&bcsex=m
    I have the same.....keeps the cold of my chest, no need for a heavy shirt or jacket. just wear a shirt and vest to adjust your temp without wearing any heavy crap.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by gormleyflyer2002
    I have the same.....keeps the cold of my chest, no need for a heavy shirt or jacket. just wear a shirt and vest to adjust your temp without wearing any heavy crap.

    How does Craft run in sizing?

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    275
    generous compared to most Euro sizing if i recall........i'll check tonight when i get home.

    i'm a mutant (6'6")

  14. #14
    Impulse Athletic Coaching
    Reputation: iliveonnitro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,878
    FWIW, a thick "jersey" worn on the outside of a short sleeve jersey (or base layer, etc) can be used multiple times before needing to be washed, saving on laundry and hassle of buying 4-5 base layers that make up for the one thick jersey. It would be the more practical purchase, imo.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by rydog9991
    How does Craft run in sizing?
    I bought a medium and it fits true to size. Pretty much every jersey I buy is a medium and this fits well.....snug

    I am 5-9 143 lbs

  16. #16
    VIP
    Reputation: saird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    276
    Newspaper.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    851
    Quote Originally Posted by ptfmb71
    I bought a medium and it fits true to size. Pretty much every jersey I buy is a medium and this fits well.....snug

    I am 5-9 143 lbs
    I have a Craft Pro Zero base layer in medium and it works well for me too, 5-8", 175 lbs, 40" chest, ~30-31" waist. Sure, it's a little snug across the chest but not uncomfortably so (the material is very stretchy), and a large would be too baggy everywhere else.

    Asad

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: multirider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    296
    These are great -- don't add to sweat in the small of your back or overheating arms:

    http://www.thewarmfront.com/main.html

    http://www.cdisports.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=268

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit
    layers layers layers. if your chest is the problem, maybe just throw a short sleeve jersey on over the undershirt.

    and on a budget....check out one of those 'Ross' stores if you have one near you. they always seem to have some reebok/underarmor/nike undershirts for $10 or so. made for football, but itll have the same wicking properties as some $80 undershirt at your LBS. i have a couple and they've been great through some cold colorado days (sub 30*) so far.
    I was out shopping for a good base layer and went to all of the local sports stores and decided to stop at Ross just for the heck of it. I found a Reebok long sleeve base layer for $4.99, I have very long arms and it fit so great I bought two of them. Beats $45 bucks at the sporting goods store right next door.

    When it gets chilly here I'll wear a polypropylene base layer under a short sleeve jersey, my next step is a long sleeve jersey instead of the short. When it's downright cold I'll wear a windproof vest over the two layers, it has sleeves that can be zipped in and out but typically I leave them out. My problem with the windproof stuff no matter how high tech it may be is I sweat much more and in turn get colder on the longer base mile rides.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    73
    try foxwear lou makes custom stuff very reasonable

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    54
    Guys, thanks for all the replies. I'll take a look at the Craft stuff and the other suggestions.

    Usually have been a warm weather rider but I test rode the new bike I bought this year in February and was amazed riding in mid-30* temps wasn't all that bad.

    My wife, the frugal one, likes the newspaper idea best.

    Best regards...Mike

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by mikefm101

    I suspect I may need an improved base layer, but wonder if a long sleeved jersey would be a better way to add layers so keep the old thermal shirt and add the jersey. Are the long sleeved ones heavier than the summer weight jerseys or just as lightweight?

    I am currently unemployed. Although not destitute I am trying to make a careful purchase here hence the debate about base layer vs. a jersey.

    Also, Is this a decent base layer??:
    http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...ew/1004600-418

    Hope you can help....Mike

    Under armour is TERRIBLE for riding. TERRIBLE. You can wear ten of them and freeze your butt off. What you need is a craft base layer. http://www.craft-usa.com/cra_shop_zo...id=543&bcsex=m

    They are so warm. I wear a craft baselayer and a long sleeve jersey. That keeps me warm down to thirty degrees, if I'm wearing a headband as well (and gloves, booties, etc). Seriously, this was one of the top five cycling items I have ever bought.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: multirider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by kreuzberg
    Under armour is TERRIBLE for riding. TERRIBLE. You can wear ten of them and freeze your butt off. What you need is a craft base layer. http://www.craft-usa.com/cra_shop_zo...id=543&bcsex=m

    They are so warm. I wear a craft baselayer and a long sleeve jersey. That keeps me warm down to thirty degrees, if I'm wearing a headband as well (and gloves, booties, etc). Seriously, this was one of the top five cycling items I have ever bought.
    Wow!!! $70 for a base layer!!

    The WarmFront that I recommended previously looks like a steal! $25 and easy-on-easy-off during a ride. Does exactly what the OP requested, too -- keeps the chest warm.

    http://www.thewarmfront.com/main.html

    I'm sure the Craft piece is great, but that is a big chunk of change for a base layer.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    136
    cotton t-shirt long sleeved sweatshirt and your jacket should be plenty. loose fitting clothing is much better than tight fitting clothing. You're thinking too much.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    19,411

    Cotton? Really?

    Quote Originally Posted by g-dawg
    cotton t-shirt long sleeved sweatshirt and your jacket should be plenty. loose fitting clothing is much better than tight fitting clothing. You're thinking too much.
    A cotton T-shirt, or cotton anything, will just get wet and stay wet. Cotton is a very poor choice of fabric for cold weather exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

INTERBIKE

Contest

Hot Deals

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook