Thread: Endurox?

Cat 5 going on 6
    Jul 2008

Endurox?

I got some endurox (the recovery thing) for xmas this year and was just wondering...
    Would a post ride drink like endurox be better than a pre ride/ during ride drink like accellerade.
    And does a post ride drink really make that much of a difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Yes. I believe you get more protein with Endurox. It is designed to be a post ride recovery drink by the company that makes Accelerade. It would be a little odd to think they made two different drinks for difference purposes if one worked better for both.

It makes more of a difference as your system gets more depleted.

So after a 1 hour ride, probably doesn't make much difference.

After a 5 hour ride, much more of a difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008

Same stuff, different concentration.

End. has double the concentration of the same ingredients as Accel.
    1. Not better, but just as valuable. Keep in mind the drinks are a fraction of your success but both are still useful.
    2.If you train hard enough and often enough the drinks will give you an added recovery advantage of a few percent over no drinks and fewer percent over most other drinks but still some advantage.
    The advantage to supplement and recovery drinks is in the difficulty of the training that they are used in. A recreational guy like me won't get any real advantage because I don't beat myself up enough to do much recovering. In the past when I have run hard and ridden hard I used those type prods and could tell a slight but noticeable recovery and training intensity increase.
    Sorry to be so long winded but I have put some thought into this as I am a cheapskate who hates to waste money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    It could be placebo, but I think that the stuff works. Many on this board think that it's just throwing money into a bottle and that food from your refrigerator is just as good or better. No doubt that you can get the same nutrients from food, but the drink is awfully conveniently packaged and easy to down, instead of foraging for some perishable in your refrigerator.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've really liked endurox. Feel much better a couple hours later then using normal eating after a ride/race

but do note... Don't chug it down! 2x after really, really hard days i've booted when I drank it too fast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

It's just food

Quote Originally Posted by Gregpape23
    Would a post ride drink like endurox be better than a pre ride/ during ride drink like accellerade.
    Are you asking whether you should ingest calories and protein before/during a ride or after a ride? If you're out less than 60-90 minutes, then you likely don't need anything on the bike. Whether you need something just before a ride depends on what the rest of your day looks like from a food intake standpoint. The intensity and duration of your rides determines your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregpape23
    And does a post ride drink really make that much of a difference.
    You have a "glycogen window" after a ride where your muscles are more apt to take up glycogen and that helps with faster recovery duing that day. You don't need special drinks or supplements to do this. Any easily digestible mix of carbs and protein will work just fine. These drinks are just a convenience; there is nothing magic in their composition compared to food.