Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

EPO-Boost supplement?

yes I am a sucker for sports supplements in my effort to find a holy grail of legal safe performance enhancement. And yes, I am always the guy that rushes to buy a bottle of diet pills when i pack on a few winter pounds. So now that the obvious confession is out of the way, I was wondering if anyone has tried the EPO-Boost supplement. I saw one of the ads here on RBR and checked out the site. Not a lot of info and kind of pricey.

Curious if there are other suckers out there that have already tried the product and care to share the effectiveness. I'm getting tired of investing in expensive pee!

RoadBikeReview Member
    total weasel language - no published study of their supposed clinical studies and their claim of citations in 5,575 studies is for the ingredients in the product - when iron etc are ingredients not too hard to accomplish that. Nothing in it very interesting.

Banned forever.....or not
    You would do well to train more and listen to BS less.

People have been selling snake oil for the last 20,000 years.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    there are no legal drugs/supplements that do what EPO does. end of story. you can feed your body what it needs to make blood cells(iron, b12, c, etc), but you will not make more than your body wants at any given point. don't waste your money. BTW, you can buy OTC pro-hormones that also won;t work, but likely contain substances that will get you busted if you are tested

banned
    Aug 2006
    why would you name a product EPO boost, does it contain erythproetin? NO

so whats the deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AidanM

so whats the deal.
    Its all about marketing. It got you to their site. Ask yourself if you would have clicked the link if the ad said "Iron and Vitamin Supplement". That's the deal.

vexatious enigma
    Ive never considered many supplements to be worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009

Thumbs up Might be effective

Looks like the product has echinacea to increase EPO levels (check out http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/csa/vol143/whitehe3.htm, “Echinacea supplementation results in significant increases in erythropoietin, VO2max, and running economy.”). Iron, B vitamins and folic acid to assist with red blood cell production. I bought a bottle last week and will post later on results. A lot of doubters here, EPO-Boost looks promising to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Echinecea works better as a short term boost (couple of weeks at a time) than as long term supplement. It's also over harvested, since it's an herb people recognize right away in a supplement. Quality can vary greatly, and it's also about which part of the plant is used.

Find a local herbal or chinese medicine practicioner, there's plenty of herbs that help with inflammation, build muscle tissue, boost white and red blood cell count, etc.

Cycling Coach
    Or you could just train properly, eat a healthy balanced nutritional diet and recover/rest well. They are the biggest legal performance enhancers by a long shot, and without any health risk.

Most supplements are taken without due regard to their true contents, or their real effects (on one's performance or on one's health) and are usually consumed by gullible minds.

Indeed there is quite a bit of research into supplement usage by athletes. Makes for interesting reading.

Cat 6 rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mj1california
    Looks like the product has echinacea to increase EPO levels (check out http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/csa/vol143/whitehe3.htm, “Echinacea supplementation results in significant increases in erythropoietin, VO2max, and running economy.”). Iron, B vitamins and folic acid to assist with red blood cell production. I bought a bottle last week and will post later on results. A lot of doubters here, EPO-Boost looks promising to me.
    Your first post, Dude, your first post. (Hanging head). If you're going to pimp a product at least go to the Podium Girls forum and post 50 or 60 "I'd hit it" replies after you create the new profile so it looks legit.
    To the troll mobile, away...

RoadBikeReview Member
    My guess is its complete and total bunk. While there has been some evidence that Echinacea can stimulate red blood cell production you have to ingest quite alot per day enough that alot of subjects in the test I read about suffered intestinal upset because of the dosage.

Poseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Simmons/RST
    Or you could just train properly, eat a healthy balanced nutritional diet and recover/rest well. They are the biggest legal performance enhancers by a long shot, and without any health risk.
    +1 But, as P.T. Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute" so unfortunately that crap will continue to sell, just like the Nigerian scammers will continue to get access to people's bank accounts.
    I like cats, I just can't finish a whole one by myself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 32and3cross
    My guess is its complete and total bunk. While there has been some evidence that Echinacea can stimulate red blood cell production you have to ingest quite alot per day enough that alot of subjects in the test I read about suffered intestinal upset because of the dosage.
    Here is the link to the published study from these guys that I found on Pubmed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

So it increased EPO apparently, but no increase in red blood cells, which of course is the end product we all care about. No mention in the abstract of measuring performance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryR
    +1 But, as P.T. Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute" so unfortunately that crap will continue to sell, just like the Nigerian scammers will continue to get access to people's bank accounts.
    Medicine and Science in Sports in Exercise published a position paper on "Nutrition and Athletic Performance" which included a section on supplements. The list of supplements that have been tested and failed to do what they claim to do was over twice as long as those that appear to unequivocally improve performance (Creatine, Caffeine, & Sodium Bicarbonate are the extent of the list!) and those that may improve performance (HMB, glutamine, colostrum, and ribose).

From what I've seen the best evidence for a significant performance gain from supplements is probably in the realms of strength and muscle mass gains from using creatine and HMB. Both seem to be effective and work on different sides of the "equation" so likely work synergistically. Creatine probably increases resistance training intensity and protein synthesis rates while HMB decreases protein degradation. From what I've seen a doubling or more of muscle mass and strength gains is possible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Barry

So it increased EPO apparently, but no increase in red blood cells, which of course is the end product we all care about. No mention in the abstract of measuring performance.

Ahh well then, not the same one I had seen which, I think, did use athletes but saw little or no increase in performace either.

Anti-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by AidanM

so whats the deal.
    Because if it was called "waste your money on this crap" then no one would buy it.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

Cycling Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Barry

Yeah, I looked at that too and no mention of performance, which absolutely would have been in an extract. Besides, what we look for is a body of evidence, not an isolated study.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Simmons/RST
    Yeah, I looked at that too and no mention of performance, which absolutely would have been in an extract. Besides, what we look for is a body of evidence, not an isolated study.
    It's interesting that EPO increased but no increase in RBC, which begs the question of how much of an increase in EPO is necessary to see an effect on RBC numbers?

I don't know, but info. must be out there from altitude adaptation and EPO drug studies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    thanks for the feedback gang. as mentioned I have always been one to look for an edge, as I suspect many are. I do train, at least as much as my schedule and family commitment will allow. I actually enjoy training and I dont mind suffering in a ride either. Just seems my legs dont always cooperate and I push them to the point of exhaustion. Guess I was really hoping this supplement might delay the fatigue and give me that little extra. Oh well

All or Nothing Baby!!!
    i've got a product that will work wonders. It's EPO supplement called SUGAR PILLS!
    Zoom This!

Dr. Flats a lot
    While you're at it throw the diet pills down the toilet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    when Dr's start prescribing "EPO Boost" to anemic patients...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bauerb
    when Dr's start prescribing "EPO Boost" to anemic patients...
    True that, although physicians will prescribe similar agents for anemia, but at higher doses. Besides, the prescription drugs are waaaaay cheaper than stuff like EPO Boost. Furthermore, if you're not facing some sort of nutritional deficiency anemia, there probably won't be any noticeable benefits.

Climbs like a sprinter...
    Or you could just follow my plan. Blue Room Bacon Cheese Burgers at least twice a week. Enter your first race, win it, and retired undefeated. Then bump up the BRBCBs to 4 times a week. So far it's working pretty good for me. Can you get busted for excessive levels of cheese in your system?
    "It's turtles all the way down."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast