Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Filler Miles and Rest Days

784 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  kingfisher 
#1 ·
Next week I begin my first "build" week. Because of a vacation, the total build cycle will be only 2 weeks long. My "key" workouts primarily will be FTP workouts (say 2-3 by 20) and VO2 max workouts (say, 4-5 x 5 minutes).

I have about 15 hr/week to ride. I'm 39. I'm very happy with the outcome of my base training, and excited to switch to a new phase.

My key workouts won't come close to filling the time I have to ride. What have you guys done with the extra time? Do you find most of your filler miles are used for recovery, or are you still spending a good chunk of time in zone 2/zone 3?

I don't yet know how much time I'll need to recover from these workouts, but I'll probably start with 2 FTP workouts and one VO2 max workout/week.

#2 ·
Lydiard and his disciples emphasized that there weren't harsh, abrupt changes between the different phases of training. If you read the Bible carefully, you see that Friel does the same thing, one phase blends into the other, more or less one workout per week at a time.

The standard references (Friel, Allen & Coggan) give weekly schedules that blend intensity with volume.

#3 ·
OTOH there is also the "summer camp" approach to training, i.e. go for a couple weeks of radically different training, stress all your systems at once, and see where it takes you. You'll almost certainly see gains, but if you aren't adequately prepped for the experience, it probably isn't the best approach for long-term success, and there's the risk of injury, burnout, divorce, etc.

#4 ·
I am trying "ride slow to get fast", as advocated by a British Cycling coach, this season. So, lots of miles/hours at (strictly) 65% to 75% heart rate keeping my cadence as close to a constant 90 rpm as I can manage + I hour of weight training a week. In March I'll start hill training.
I'm an oldie, so it is worth experimenting to keep age at bay and injury risks to a minimum.

#5 ·
I'm looking at Friels Bible, and I don't see much filler time in Build 1

Monday - E1 or off
Tues - Intervals
Wed-Zone 2
Thursday - Intervals
Friday - Form Sprints
Saturday - Group Ride or Race
Sunday - Zone 2

But I think I understand your question. For example, on Tuesday say you have 6X10 minutes cruise intervals. Your interval workout is done in 80 minutes. What to do with the remaining time to get to the 2.5 hours you have scheduled??

You do Zone 2 (or zone 1 if you're feeling real fried).

#7 · (Edited)
pretender said:
:confused:
Mon, Wed, Fri, and Sun are all low intensity (or off completely). The Friday form sprints are part of a recovery day and aren't meant to be taxing.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't consider Zone 2 "filler". I consider it a very critical part of a good training program.

And it makes sense, to introduce less intense riding, to offset the hard days.

And when you do hold Zone 2 long enough (160-180W for 3+ hours, for example), all of a sudden, it's far from an easy day.

#8 ·
But I think I understand your question. For example, on Tuesday say you have 6X10 minutes cruise intervals. Your interval workout is done in 80 minutes. What to do with the remaining time to get to the 2.5 hours you have scheduled??

You do Zone 2 (or zone 1 if you're feeling real fried).[/QUOTE]

Yes--this was my question. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.