Never DNF

Front wheel lifted in an attack...

Racing yesterday and on 2 occasions when accelerating out of a banked corner that went into a small rise my front wheel lifted off the ground, (a very slight lift, possibly not noticeable to observers, but I sure knew) on one occasion the bake was leaning so the wheel lifted up and across, no fall, but very disconcerting.
    First time I've encountered this, I 'm worried it's the forerunner for a fall, anyone else had this experience and any tips?
    From New Zealand

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    get more weight forward when you accelerate.

Michigoose
    I've done it before when my arms weren't quite in coordination with my legs. It gets more natural.

RoadBikeReview's Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by WingNut
    Racing yesterday and on 2 occasions when accelerating out of a banked corner that went into a small rise my front wheel lifted off the ground, (a very slight lift, possibly not noticeable to observers, but I sure knew) on one occasion the bake was leaning so the wheel lifted up and across, no fall, but very disconcerting.
    First time I've encountered this, I 'm worried it's the forerunner for a fall, anyone else had this experience and any tips?
    Move weight forwards and focus on pulling BACK with your arms, not pulling UP.
    "It's hard to tell the poison from the cure, so enjoy the disease."
    -Mohair_Chair

Lemur-ing
    Quote Originally Posted by estone2
    Move weight forwards and focus on pulling BACK with your arms, not pulling UP.
    Best advice offered.

+1

I tend to pull up at times too and may have lifted the front wheel a little.

But, on a few occasions, my entire rear wheel got lifted and the bike moved while I was seated. Kinda scary. Probably hit a pebble or something but sure didn't feel like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I made the rookie mistake of pumping the hell out of my tires my first crit-- on a course full of frost heaves. My rear was hopping all over the place. A reasonable tire pressure helps.

Quote Originally Posted by uzziefly
    Best advice offered.

+1

I tend to pull up at times too and may have lifted the front wheel a little.

But, on a few occasions, my entire rear wheel got lifted and the bike moved while I was seated. Kinda scary. Probably hit a pebble or something but sure didn't feel like it.

banned
    Oct 2005

estone is right

When sprinting on the flats, you want to pull straight and back. Some side to side motion is natural because of fatigue and the violence involved. You read that right: the most righteous sprints are acts of poetic violence.

And no matter how accomplished you become, there WILL be times when your front wheel lifts (mistiming, fatigue, or both). With enough practice, you'll learn to reduce how often this happens and to correct the matter by instinct when it does.

I know guys who do every training in the book (tempo, lsd, LT, etc, etc) and do it correctly; yet I'm the only rider I know that actually has sessions completely dedicated to improving my sprinting skills.

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    It's also not unnatural to have the front wheel come up during sprints. Watch pros coming out of the final turn in a crit -- it looks like BMX racing sometimes.

Lemur-ing
    Quote Originally Posted by filtersweep
    I made the rookie mistake of pumping the hell out of my tires my first crit-- on a course full of frost heaves. My rear was hopping all over the place. A reasonable tire pressure helps.
    I run em at 95-100 psi on the rear for my tubulars. I weigh 130ish lbs usually.

So I doubt it's tire pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!