RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008

FRS Energy Drink

So I know most of us have seen the ads, and Men's Journal had an interesting review of the beverage, but I was wondering if anyone here has/does use it on a regular basis? Is it improving your cycling at all, or is it just a ploy?

Loves to Suffer
    Never tried it, but I know snake oil when I see it.

a thorn in RBR's side

re

though I never tried this or even read the label and...

as an addict to other types of energy drinks

i can say that pretty much all of them will have loads of b vitamins and taurine and inositol... and sugar.

consuming this is not good for riding base. Red bull works fine for racing when in season though. You want to teach your body to burn fat, not bounce off the ceiling doing hardcore intervals on a trainer in January.

is there life after death?

woof the dag
    ...capitalizing on the downfall of mankind. DOWN WITH HUMAN RIGHTS!!! DOWN WITH THE HUMAN RACE!!!!! There is no right or wrong - there is only whats popular and not popular!

kytyree
    The cans are expensive, the concentrate is more affordable whether there are advantages over a healthy diet and coffee, I don't know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Their claims come from quercitin which is a bioflavonoid antioxidant. If i remember the info FRS has something like 1,000mg per can. GNC sells quercetin in pill form 500mg tabs in a 60count jar for something like $13.00 if you are curious enough to try it.

Cheap enough to try but I don't know if you'll actually see any results.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Inside scoop

Quote Originally Posted by ncsu
    So I know most of us have seen the ads, and Men's Journal had an interesting review of the beverage, but I was wondering if anyone here has/does use it on a regular basis? Is it improving your cycling at all, or is it just a ploy?
    Here's the inside story. There is nothing in any energy drink that legally improves performance compared to food, water, salt, and caffiene. Most of the time, their "studies" are 1) based on animal models and not proven in humans, 2) based on a theory, or 3) comparing to something with fewer calories, different levels of electrolytes, or different levels of caffiene/stimulant. There's nothing wrong with most energy drinks if they don't upset your stomach other than that they are significantly more expensive than food and they leave your bike a sticky mess. Oh, and they have a problem that you can't easily separate your liquid/electrolyte needs from your calorie needs. These two items can vary widely from cool, humid days to hot, humid days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    tried em for a 3 month period. dont work !!! didnt ride better, didnt have more energy, wasnt more alert. Perhaps they are good for you and are a "healthy energy drink" but for me it was a waste of money. Taste ok though.