RoadBikeReview Member

Garmin 301 - Anyone use this for cycling?

Has anyone used the Garmin 301 for both cycling and running? What are your thoughts?

middle aged wheelsucker
    I've been using a forerunner 305 for both, and it works pretty well. The calorie counter is hopelessly optimistic, but otherwise, it's pretty slick
    "Better to pin a number on and finish last, than never to pin a number on at all. Racing's cool."

"Coolhand"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    GF has one, it seems fine. The only issue I see is the display can only do 3 fields + heart rate as opposed to 8 with the Edge. The cadence and speed sensor with the Edge's aren't its best feature anyway. For $100 (ebay, new not refurb) the Forerunner 301 is the best cyclecomputer money can buy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have both of my road bikes equipped with Trek Incite 8i cyclocomuters; a couple of years ago, I bought a Forerunner for running and once spring came around, I started using it for cycling, too. I bought some pipe insulation and cut a 2-inch piece so it'll strap on securely.

I have several different screens programmed for cycling, but I usually go to the one with heart rate on top, and distance and ride time on the bottom. Then, I have speed and time of day showing on the cyclocomputer - five data pieces total.

I agree the calorie calculator is quite off, but the elevation data is sure nice to have.
    A scary thing heard at the Driver's License office:
    "No sir, those are numbers..."

Poseur
    I have a 301 that I bought on eBay and have no complaints with it. I initially had trouble with the transmitter until I got some gel stuff that's used for ultrasound testing. What I like about it is the ability to later compare heart rate with elevation change or speed. The builtin maps are worse than lame, at least in Billings, Montana anyway.
    I like cats, I just can't finish a whole one by myself.

middle aged wheelsucker
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryR
    I have a 301 that I bought on eBay and have no complaints with it. I initially had trouble with the transmitter until I got some gel stuff that's used for ultrasound testing. What I like about it is the ability to later compare heart rate with elevation change or speed. The builtin maps are worse than lame, at least in Billings, Montana anyway.
    sport tracks is free and is much better than the garmin supplied training center

you can also upload directly to mapmyfitness.com - which is kinda cool too, but it doesn't keep the info at the same level of detail that you get in sport tracks or training center
    "Better to pin a number on and finish last, than never to pin a number on at all. Racing's cool."

"Coolhand"