RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

Garmin Connect vs. GTC vs. Ascent vs. TrainingPeaks

I recently started using an Edge 500 with HRM and cadence, and have both Mac and PCs at home. I like the web aps, since I can also play with the data at work or send links to it, but which of these software packages do you prefer, and why? Are there some others I should look at? I probably won't use it to plan workouts, but I do like to geek out with the data, later. I would like to be able compare repeat runs on the same course, or individual climbs.
    "If there's a team that needs help...I've found a hole in my schedule." -Floyd Landis, 2010

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    If you are using a power meter then Training Peaks offers the most data to geek out with.

I have tried all the "free" programs and none compare to TP. Downside to TP is its not free...

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    TrainingPeaks is by far the most powerful tool of the ones listed. However, it's probably overkill for your application.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Yeah, I've been playing around with the TP free version, but I'm not using a power meter, yet, and I'm not going to pay for the subscription, in any case.
    "If there's a team that needs help...I've found a hole in my schedule." -Floyd Landis, 2010

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Ascent is the best $30 I think I have ever spent on anything. It is a great application - but it is for keeping tabs on stuff post ride, not pre ride. It can do what you say you want to do - keep track of runs and climbs - just make sure you log the stuff right. No question there. One thing people with garmin rarely do, and it's an incredible feature, have the computer log a lap every-time you pass a certain point. Let's say you're doing a 30 lap crit. Put this feature on and when you pass the start, hit lap, and then every time you pass the same point the computer will lap automatically. Now you have 30 laps and you can see whatever you want - average power, HR, speed - whatever. Do hill climb repeats. Hit lap at the bottom, finish the effort, hit lap again. now you have one for when you start and when you finish - all done automatically.

Garmin and ascent rock. I have three years of data and I love it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've started to write my own...

SportTracks looks nice though.