RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005

Garmin Edge 305 vs Polar 725

So whats the opinion of which is better? I'm not really trying to do any races, just want to improve in general.

Seems like the Polar has the advantage of more intelligently figuring out what your heart rate range should be and the fitness tests while the Edge in that area is very basic. But is that extra functionality useful?

I want to be able to sync of the units with my computer to log what I do but they both seem equal in that regard.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Last edited by enki42ea; 05-17-2006 at 04:57 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by enki42ea
    So whats the opinion of which is better? I'm not really trying to do any races, just want to improve in general.

Seems like the Polar has the advantage of more intelligently figuring out what your heart rate range should be and the fitness tests while the Edge in that area is very basic. But is that extra functionality useful?

I want to be able to sync of the units with my computer to log what I do but they both seem equal in that regard.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    You've got the option to buy the power sensor later on with the polar, which makes it the clear winner in my book. GPS is nice, but it won't really help you train more effectively. Power on the other hand...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    I wasn't thinking of using the GPS to train more effectivly, it was more the virtual partner function that I thought would be useful since lots of my riding is by myself so would help to set my pace.

BTW I average ~13-14 mph so no where near fast enough for racing and sort of a very beginer it terms of getting into shape (i.e. not someone who already has done enough cycling to only need to focus on the more extremes of training)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by enki42ea
    BTW I average ~13-14 mph so no where near fast enough for racing and sort of a very beginer it terms of getting into shape (i.e. not someone who already has done enough cycling to only need to focus on the more extremes of training)
    Well, your question was whether the extra functionality is useful. The answer is yes, yes it really is. But you are right to a degree, that at your stage, following Eddy's advice ("ride lots") is going to have a bigger impact on improving fitness than monitoring your training.

Find a club... doing group rides is worth more than both options because having bros to ride with makes it all worthwhile.

Fat Guy in a Little Coat
    I have both...the Polar is going back where I bought it from. The Edge is easier to use in my opinion. And although it does not give you the power option the Polar does, if you are not going to add power to your training, I believe the Garmin is a better product.

I've just begun to scratch the surface of what the Edge can do. Don't get me wrong, the Polar is a good piece of equipment, and either will be a good investment. But for ease of use and more date (less the power feature), I think the Edge is worth a long look. If you want the Polar and IR Interface, I have it new and make you a deal!

Team American Classic
    Had multiple Polars for years and just got my Garmin....Polars are gone now....the Garmin is easy to use, has good software, GPS works with no problems and it is easy to setup and use...

Best thing I've bought this year!

Flash

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    How's the data capture compare? (i.e. the stuff you can do with the device hooked up to the computer)

Team American Classic
    WAAAAYYYYYYY better!!!!

Has a nice plug n play USB interface that recharges the battery as well...a lot easier then the Polar infra-red or Sonic link setups. Also updates any changes to the device and adds workouts and courses to the Garmin.

Highly recommended...got mine with the HR/Cadence/Speed bundle on eBay for $279

Flash

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    IR can't be that bad since you only need to send the data once per time out (I've used it before to send files between two laptops) I was more thinking in terms of the software and what you can do with it (i.e. how good the analysis and training log of your workout is.

Thanks

Team American Classic
    The IR works, but is an added piece that you have to buy. The Garmin comes with the USB interface, so no additional cost...

The software is pretty good, but does not have the advanced reporting that the Polar does, as far as I can see. For analysis though, it is more than I need....

Flash

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I'm only familiar w/the Polar 725 so have no opinion on the Garmin. The IR receiver does not have to be Polar's proprietary model although it is a bit more fiddly to line up without it. I bought a cheapo $5 model from Newegg rather than the Polar one. The IR interface on a notebook should work also.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flash
    The IR works, but is an added piece that you have to buy. The Garmin comes with the USB interface, so no additional cost...

The software is pretty good, but does not have the advanced reporting that the Polar does, as far as I can see. For analysis though, it is more than I need....

Flash
    If I understand correctly, the newly released update to CyclingPeaks will download Garmin data and sync it up with maps via google, etc. Looks pretty cool if you are a gps dude.