RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003

Gatorade makes me thristy

when i drink gatorade on my rides in makes me thristy is this normal? seeems like if I drink a little water after the gatorade i'm ok. i don't think other drinks have this effect on me is it the sweetness or what?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Same here. I've heard others say the same thing so I don't think you and are unique. I hate the stuff personally.

If I cut it about 50/50 with water it's fine for me though.

Fecal indicator
    label says it has 110 mg sodium per 8 oz.
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    thanks, the 110mg sodium could explain a lot. i use Gatorade because it doesn't bother my stomach and it's available at convenience stores so I'm use to it. some of the others can taste a little funky. I may start buying some different things and try and making my own drinks. suggestions?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    If the reason you drink gatorade is because you think you need the electrolytes....you could just drink water and chew on those cliff shot blok things.
    That's what I do because I can't stand any of those electrolyte drinks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I buy the little soda can sized ones now and put 6 oz in each bottle and then fill up with water. Helps get some calories but tastes mostly like water with a lime wedge in it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I may try some of the NOONE tablets and then just eat some of the blocks for calories

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I had the same issue. Gatorade also started messing with my stomach a little so I switched to "eLoad" products.

Have you tried pedialyte? I was out of gels and drink mix so I took two flasks of the stuff on a 16K run this morning and it worked really well. Tastes kinda funky, it's very high in electrolytes (or so I've read)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

What's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by andre71144
    when i drink gatorade on my rides in makes me thristy is this normal? seeems like if I drink a little water after the gatorade i'm ok. i don't think other drinks have this effect on me is it the sweetness or what?
    Drinks like Gatorade are supposed to keep you hydrated. It's not clear why a product that makes you want to drink more would be a problem. Most often, people drink too little, or they don't get enough electrolytes. I'm not a fan of Gatorade, but it seems like complaining that it makes you thirsty is somehow backwards.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    Drinks like Gatorade are supposed to keep you hydrated. It's not clear why a product that makes you want to drink more would be a problem. Most often, people drink too little, or they don't get enough electrolytes. I'm not a fan of Gatorade, but it seems like complaining that it makes you thirsty is somehow backwards.
    Looks more like a question too me. But that aside I don't think something that you know is going to make you more thirsty than you were before you drank it will make you want to drink more of it.
    Last edited by Jay Strongbow; 08-29-2010 at 06:33 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I know there are plenty of drinks on the market, but I use slightly watered down Gatorade without problems. No clue why, but it seems to work best with me.

Regardless, do other drinks do this with you? It could be a matter of a lack of hydrating prior to events.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's definitly the sodium but it is considered a desirable effect on long hot rides. Extra hydration is usually considered a good thing for long rides. For anything short, there isn't much need for anything but water. I also prefer other products and mix lighter than the labels call for, unless I'm struggling to keep enough calories.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    They have done testing and found out that athletes do not like to drink water during intense exercise. Gatorade is designed to make your mouth dry, so you will want to drink while riding or during the workout. Gatorade was designed for extreme exercise. So that dry feeling you get in your mouth, is the gatorade telling you to drink before its too late, which can happen with water.

their are many articles written about it. Its pretty impressive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As mentioned above by other posters, I usually water mine down to about 2/3 normal concentration. Also, I usually carry 1 bottle each of sports drink and water on my bike so I can switch it up throughout my ride. With that said, it is interesting to learn about the intentional thirst-inducing effect of Gatorade. Makes sense, but I had never thought about it that way.