RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012

Gel Chews vs Gel Pack

What do you guys prefer? I haven't tried the chews before as I imagine that getting them into your mouth and chewing them could be an experience in itself. Can you choke on these? I've been using the gel packs mixed with water in a small bottle in my jersey that seems to work.

I'm thinking of adding chews as well but would like your opinions on what's working for you.
    Last edited by twinpuller; 02-12-2013 at 02:02 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I really like the chews for non-race situations, particularly for longer rides just to add variety. The Gu Chomps are way too thick, Shot Blocks aren't much better. Honey Stingers on the other hand, are perfect. They are up there with Fig Newtons and Pop Tarts as my favorite century eats.

Name:  edchoice_honeystinger.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  31.7 KB

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've used the powerbar chews a couple of times. They are not bad, flavor is ok, and they are easy on the stomach (if that's an issue for you). I like that I can just pop a couple and reseal the pack for a later ride. In terms of energy delivery, I feel like they work well for me.

That said, most of the guys on my group ride last week just had trail mix. I feel like I'm the only one who uses gels/chews/etc. Maybe that's just my group.
    2012 Bianchi Sempre (Celeste), SRAM Force

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I have enough problems getting trail mix stuck in my throat watching a movie. I can't do that when I'm riding LOL.

I might give those honey stingers a try, thanks for the advice. I've been mixing GU gels with water into a small bottle like these as I find the Gel's are too sweet and thick.

8OZ 4 Bottle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Chews are OK, but agree they can be sticky trying to squeeze them out of their pouch into your mouth. They're also pretty gummy and stick to my teeth making them difficult to chew and choke down when riding. Also agree that when breathing heavy it'd be possible to inhale one and have a problem. I haven't inhaled one, but I have blown a few out of my mouth exhaling....

I had a couple of packs of them and tried opening them up before riding and lubing them with a minute amount of vegetable oil spray. It made it a lot easier to get them out of the bag and somewhat less prone to stick to my teeth. Overall way more trouble than it's worth. Gels are a lot easier to deal with.

Generally though, just training or out for a ride, if I use sports drink (diluted to ~100 cal/ 24 oz bottle), a banana, dried fruit, fig newtons, etc...
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

I play for keeps
    I keep some gels and honey stinger chews around mainly for backup or when I'm in a rush to get out the door...otherwise:

Training rides longer than 3 hours - I try to eat mostly real food, Lim's rice cakes, sandwiches, z-bars and when my route is right i've been known to stop for tacos, burgers, crepes and even chicago dogs

Races - usually just gels as amateur races are generally less than three hours. Maybe a z-bar if it's a hilly/climbing race with a more sane pace.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll eat just about anything on training rides. Lemon waffle honey stingers are a favorite.

At races, I just use a gel flask.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010

Gel Chews vs Gel Peck

I prefer "bars". it seems to be what works best for me.

so, try out the different types of products and see what works best.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like the way the chews taste over the gels. But either way I feel like salty foods like slim jims give me better energy during rides.

Anybody else prefer salty foods during a ride?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newnan3 View Post
    I like the way the chews taste over the gels. But either way I feel like salty foods like slim jims give me better energy during rides.

Anybody else prefer salty foods during a ride?
    Salty is good, but fat and protein (slim jim) aren't the best during strenuous exercise as they are slow to get absorbed and converted to useful energy. OK in small amounts as long as supplemented with suitable carbs, IMO.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

Master debator.
    I only use gel packs/blocks if they are free or highly caffeinated. Otherwise I buy Hammer gel by the bottle and carry the flask. It's much easier to deal with. I mentioned caffeinated gel packs because sometimes at the end of a really long event or race I'll use one for the kick in the butt it gives me, but obviously they can't be used throughout the entire event.
    I can't stomach real food on a ride, so Hammer gel, bananas, Gatorade, and Perpetuem work well for me. I also eat a bar every 80 minutes or so. I love these and the blueberry version.

Sunbelt Bakery: Banana Harvest Chewy Granola Bars
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Funny about the salty snacks. I always crave salty foods after a long ride. Those nature valley sweet and salty bars do the trick.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have come to the point of just making up my own equiv of EFS shots and use a hammer bottle (I can get 400 calories in those if I need), I don't do a ton of really long rides so I only carry calories over 2 hours ride or if it is a big climb. I use maltodextrin adding flavor, caffeine, and a bit of sugar, nacl, k, mg, ca, BCAAs. I dilute it down again into a water bottle as I ride. I can tweak to how I want it, so if I don't really need much in the way of calories but still want the electrolytes and caffeine, I adjust. I am cheap mostly and I don't really like to eat on long rides now. Making my own means I don't have to deal with weird gel textures and I have found I really don't do fructose.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    cliff blocks get stuck in my teeth, i just got some sport beans to try, we will see

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Usually prefer gels over gummies for the same reasons others have mentioned with teeth-sticking, chewiness, inhalation from hard breathing and package opening. Usually just make my own gels and load them up in a Gotoob container. Easier to squeeze out compared to the hammer bottles. But the best part is its flip on/off cap that keeps everything clean. The stinger pancakes are growing on me though - vanilla, mmmmm...

Name:  GoToob_set01.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  46.6 KB

Token Sprinter
    For some reason my stomach hates gels with a passion. It can handle the gel chews and bars just fine though. My favorites are probably the PowerBar gel chews. I like Honey Stinger waffles as well, but they are harder to find around where I live.
    Amassing Miles - My Little Cycling Blog