Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Good supplement for training and recovery?

Hi All,
    Just wondering if any of you have some good recommendations for some supplements. It would be nice to use something that would be good for recovery as well as for training. I've been looking at Optygen HP, which sounds like it would be used more to provide a "racing boost". Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance! BTW - lets stick with the legal stuff

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have always, and will always be an advocate of your 1/2 an hour Window of opportunity. After after strenuous exercise, your muscles are grabbing at every Potien source they can. Hence, if you ingest a highy quality Protien, you will get the most benefit from it at this time. So, after a ride, I hit a 40 Gram Whey Protien Shake. On non ride days, I do my Protien shake first thing in the morning. Also, let's not forget our Daily Multi Vitamins.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    PB&J with Banana on it, maybe honey instead of jelly some times

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Optygen HP is good stuff. I take 2 pills everyday riding or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Post ride, chocholate milk with some protein powder mixed in for good measure.

If I am doing long rides or multi day events I like Sportlegs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    ....Rest

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    Ahh, the magic pill. Tu es un americain typique!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

The secret

Quote Originally Posted by MJCBH
    Just wondering if any of you have some good recommendations for some supplements. It would be nice to use something that would be good for recovery as well as for training. BTW - lets stick with the legal stuff
    That would be actual food. You will struggle mightily to find ANY quality research studies that show any legal supplement offers any advantage over food.

From the Feb 24, 2003 issue of VeloNews - some interesting comments from Christiane Ayotte, head of Canada's leading anti doping lab. Supplements' "claimed actions, efficiency, or potency have not been thoroughly investigated by controlled clinical studies and remain for the most part anecdotal." "athletes are targeted by the sport nutritional industry by very aggressive and efficient marketing, but for the vast majority of the products . . , the scientific proofs supporting their claims are not there. But the athletes believe: It is more on the side of faith than facts. One only listens to what he wants and becomes deaf, blind to all logical arguments." (Remember that the US supplements industry effectively lobbied congress several years ago and prevented the US FDA from regulating the industry except in cases of human safety. Supplements imported from many countries are even less regulated.)

A recent German study analyzed 600 samples of nutritional supplements and found anabolic steroids in 20% at levels that could result in a positive dope test. None of these supplements were labeled as containing steroids. In the US, supplements are not tested or regulated, and need not be labeled as containing steroids. Add to this the fact that no good (controlled, double blind) studies have shown benefits of supplementation for athletes over a balanced diet. When an active person consumes a balanced diet, it is extremely easy to get the required nutritional components. This is because the high level of activity requires a large food intake, and so the nutrients come along automatically.

Per Dr. Arnie Baker: It is often said that Americans have the most expensive urine in the world. Vitamin and mineral supplement sales are big business. Many athletes take scores of pills daily. Companies try to distinguish themselves from others by claiming that their formulations are superior. There is very little evidence that any supplements are worth it.

VIP
    Hgh.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Not what you asked but for recovery making sure I stretch well after the ride seems to help a lot. I'm probably not any more 'recovered' the next day(s) because of it.....but definitely less of the tight and sore that goes with the recovery process.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    For recovery after a long, hard ride I do:

1.) A good cool down spin
    2.) A few minutes spent stretching
    3.) Consuming some good protein and carbs (choco milk as stated before)
    4.) A good massage is awesome. Given those are rarely available to me, I settle for a foam roller and/or "The Stick".

Team Tom's
    Quote Originally Posted by RLinNH
    I have always, and will always be an advocate of your 1/2 an hour Window of opportunity. After after strenuous exercise, your muscles are grabbing at every Potien source they can. Hence, if you ingest a highy quality Protien, you will get the most benefit from it at this time. So, after a ride, I hit a 40 Gram Whey Protien Shake. On non ride days, I do my Protien shake first thing in the morning. Also, let's not forget our Daily Multi Vitamins.
    I've heard both... I've heard that immediately after a ride that one should consume complex carbs and then I've heard one should consume good sources of protein... I need to research this more.

Have you heard about consuming carbs after a ride?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Floyd had PHENOMENOL results with testosterone and Jack Daniels. Did you see the TDF stage where he went crazy after bonking the day before?
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 5 63cm Charcoal Gray
    Crank Compact 50/34 Rear Cogs 12-27
    Handlebars Kore ROAD 6031
    Bar Wrap Profile Design Shock Wrap
    Pedals Speedplay Zero Cro Moly
    Seatpost Thomson Elite 410mm
    Computer/Cadence Sensor Garmin Forerunner 305
    Bottle Cages Specialized Rib Cage Pro Road
    Headlight ViewPoint Flare 5 LED
    Taillight ViewPoint Flashpoint Ultra

"Hey, let's be careful out there."
    -Sergeant Phil Esterhaus
    Hill Street Blues

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    I drink whey protien after trainer sessions. Would go with actual food,
    but it is so much more convenient just to mix with water before
    riding and gulp down after before showering. I am not deluding myself that it
    is any better than actual food.

disgruntled pigskin fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Hula Hoop
    I drink whey protien after trainer sessions. Would go with actual food,
    but it is so much more convenient just to mix with water before
    riding and gulp down after before showering. I am not deluding myself that it
    is any better than actual food.
    I'll never understand this convenience argument. I'll spare the few extra seconds and make a PB&J and wash it down with some milk. Taste better and costs less too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    What I mean by convenience is that immediately after riding the trainer but before
    a shower, I just gulp this down. It seems kind of ridiculous to chaw down a dry
    pbj with milk when I am just going to eat in 45 minutes. As to the cost factor,
    I can get whey protein very cheap, around $40 for 4.5 pounds, and that lasts
    me for months.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    What I mean by convenience is that immediately after riding the trainer but before
    a shower, I just gulp this down. It seems kind of ridiculous to chaw down a dry
    pbj with milk when I am just going to eat in 45 minutes. As to the cost factor,
    I can get whey protein very cheap, around $40 for 4.5 pounds, and that lasts
    me for months.
    and you get the full taste of donkey @ss as part of the deal as well
    If it is really that much of a time penalty to "chaw down" a sandwich, I wonder how you have time to do a ride long enough you need recovery food.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    This has happened to me before. The sly insinuations and gently condescending
    vitriole from the organic crowd. All because I drink whey protein and add Cytomax
    to my water bottles on long rides. Yawn, I am bored with it, lighten up, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    vitriole from the organic crowd. All because I drink whey protein and add Cytomax
    to my water bottles on long rides. Yawn, I am bored with it, lighten up, please.
    organic? lol. You spent more time on this thread than most people would eating a handful of sandwiches.
    Drink and eat what you want, but blaming it on the 1 minute inconvenience of actual food? please!
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Also the whey protein I drink has only high quality protein, minimal
    sugar and, since it is in liquid form, takes less time for my body to
    digest and gets into my system faster than solids, which take longer
    for the stomach's acids to liquify and digest.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Simple knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by MaddSkillz
    I've heard both... I've heard that immediately after a ride that one should consume complex carbs and then I've heard one should consume good sources of protein... I need to research this more.

The standard advice is something between 4 and 10 calories from carbohydrate for every calorie from protein. It's not that critical. Your body burns carbs for energy, and clearly you need carbs if your ride was longer than 90 minutes or so and you were riding reasonably hard.

Cycling Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by MJCBH
    Hi All,
    Just wondering if any of you have some good recommendations for some supplements. It would be nice to use something that would be good for recovery as well as for training. I've been looking at Optygen HP, which sounds like it would be used more to provide a "racing boost". Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance! BTW - lets stick with the legal stuff
    the Australian Institute of Sport has an excellent web site with information on a range of topics, including extensive information on supplements:
    http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/supplements

You will find 4 categories:
    Group A - supported for use by athletes
    Group B - considered for provision to AIS athletes only under a research protocol
    Group C - little proof of beneficial effects
    Group D - should not be used by AIS athletes

It should come as no surprise that the vast majority fall into Group C. In there is also a very good paper on vitamins and supplements provided by network marketing companies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSkillz

I never consume Protien without a good carb to accompany it. I was taught that a good Carb is the "Bus" that shuttles the Protien to the muscles more effectively then by simply digesting Protien alone.

disgruntled pigskin fan
    I wasn't trying to be condescending, just expressing my opinion...

waterproof*
    rain water and grain alcohol.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast