RoadBikeReview Member

Help, pulled something in my hip

I'm trying to get into kayaking. Last weekend I probably pushed a little hard. I did an easy paddle on Sat for about 90 minutes--interrupted by coffee and chatting. On Sunday I rode to the LKS (local kayak shop) for a 3-4 hour paddle and then rode home. I was sore all over Monday...new movements. My hip started feeling a little tight yesterday during a short run. Today I had to stop at 1.5 miles because it really started to hurt.

I am taking a level II kayak class on Saturday and want to take care of my hip so I don't end up out of commission. Looking for some streching that I might be able to do. When I tried to strech my ITBand this morning, youch.

The pain is deep in the joint. If you put your hand on the outside of your hip right at the joint...it hurts in there. Never had hip pain before, not sure whats even in there.

Off the back

Best stretch for hips

Lie flat on your back. Rasie 1 knee leaving your foot on the floor. Grab the other knee and place that foot on the opposite side of the body. a "figure 4" if you're a wresting fan. Hold then switch to the other side. I was able to work out some glute / hip issues with that.
    |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\ ||
    | B u d w e i s e r | ||'""|""\__,_
    |_____________ l ||__|__|___|)
    |(@(@)""""""""**|(@)(@)***|(@)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristin
    The pain is deep in the joint. If you put your hand on the outside of your hip right at the joint...it hurts in there.
    Actual pain originating in the joint itself is usually experienced as groin pain. If you feel pain on the lateral side of your hip (not that deep), it could be an inflamed bursa (near the greater trochanter). With that little time to recover, I'd take 800mg ibuprofen three times a day, a few regimens of alternating hot (5min) and cold (2 min ice directly on the hip) X 3 through the day as well as gentle stretching of the ITB, hip flexors and quads.

If there's moderate/severe discomfort or pain when starting the kayaking on Saturday, I'd stop immediately.
    Last edited by BarryG; 08-10-2006 at 02:13 PM.