RoadBikeReview Member

How long does a pulled hamstring take to heal?

Has anyone pulled a hamstring? How long did yours take to heal?
    Think I pulled mine...Woke up one morning and the back of my left leg was hurting but felt better throughout the day (maybe as it stretches out?). When I sit for about a half-hour, it hurts when I first get up then feels better. This has been going on for 3 weeks now.
    I'm still able to ride on the weekends and I can barely feel it, though.

Any thoughts?
    Lou.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    if you would have pulled your hamstring, you would have felt injuring it. i have done this before, and it took a very long time to heal.

it sounds like you just woke up with a cramp, since you say it felt better as the day went on. your problem may actually be that your hamstrings are tight, not pulled.

i recommend light stretching of your hammys. a beginner's yoga class will go a long way for the future.
    be careful though, if you're stretching your hamstrings, and they hurt either at the top, near your butt, or down low, by your knee, then you may have an injury.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZG82
    if you would have pulled your hamstring, you would have felt injuring it. i have done this before, and it took a very long time to heal.

it sounds like you just woke up with a cramp, since you say it felt better as the day went on. your problem may actually be that your hamstrings are tight, not pulled.

i recommend light stretching of your hammys. a beginner's yoga class will go a long way for the future.
    be careful though, if you're stretching your hamstrings, and they hurt either at the top, near your butt, or down low, by your knee, then you may have an injury.
    I'm with you, I would've thought I'd be hurting when it happened. The weird part is that it's going on 3 weeks now so it makes me feel that it may be more than a cramp.
    The good thing (I hope) is that it feels like it's in the middle, not toward the top or bottom.
    I'll try the stretching.

Thanks.
    Lou.

Every little counts...
    Forever. My third week too. I yanked it good running up a small mountain in a cyclocross race (CX is taken very seriously in my neck of the woods).

No real pain during or after the event. But the next day, I though someone had beaten me across the back of my left thigh with a baseball bat. From the glute to the knee, totally.

Rest. Soak. Stretch. Naproxen E 500's (happy, happy). Input from the doctor is to stop riding for a week. No running either. Start light, no more CX, if it hurts stop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

Unhappy I guess I will find out

I pulled mine in the lower part down by the knee last weekend.
    After the third day, internal bleeding from the tear made my leg look like this....

It happended when I tried to out-sprint the teenagers who were ganging up on me in an adults vs teens paintball game - you can guess who won.

Instant pain, made me fall flat on my face in mid sprint, still limping a week later, running and biking currently out of the question, can swim but a bit awkwardly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How long does a pulled hamstring take to heal?-hamstring-pull-2.jpg  
    Last edited by slogiant; 03-12-2005 at 02:13 PM. Reason: photo did not load

BS the DC
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider
    Has anyone pulled a hamstring? How long did yours take to heal?
    Think I pulled mine...Woke up one morning and the back of my left leg was hurting but felt better throughout the day (maybe as it stretches out?). When I sit for about a half-hour, it hurts when I first get up then feels better. This has been going on for 3 weeks now.
    I'm still able to ride on the weekends and I can barely feel it, though.

Any thoughts?
    Lou.
    It sounds to me like you may be experiencing sciatica. A pulled hamstring should settle out in three days on its own. Sciatica will feel about the same, but will not go away until you unpinch the nerve. Another clue is the pain when you go from sitting to standing. That's common with sciatica. Go see a chiropractor. More than likely the culprit is the sacroiliac joint.
    "The team wasn't just riders. It was the mechanics, masseurs, chefs, soigneurs, and doctors. But the most important man on the team may have been the chiropractor."

- Lance Armstrong, Every Second Counts

GIMME MY BIKE!
    Quote Originally Posted by slogiant
    I pulled mine in the lower part down by the knee last weekend.
    After the third day, internal bleeding from the tear made my leg look like this....

It happended when I tried to out-sprint the teenagers who were ganging up on me in an adults vs teens paintball game - you can guess who won.

Instant pain, made me fall flat on my face in mid sprint, still limping a week later, running and biking currently out of the question, can swim but a bit awkwardly.
    That ain't a muscle pull, honey. That's a friggen tear!!

Muscle pulls can take a while to heal, but tears will take a LOT longer. I pulled a calf muscle while marathon training. I had a crazy lump in my calf muscle for weeks. I bought "the stick" and massaged the crap out of it, which helped a little... but it was incredibly painful (both the massaging and the running).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdc
    It sounds to me like you may be experiencing sciatica. A pulled hamstring should settle out in three days on its own. Sciatica will feel about the same, but will not go away until you unpinch the nerve. Another clue is the pain when you go from sitting to standing. That's common with sciatica. Go see a chiropractor. More than likely the culprit is the sacroiliac joint.
    Bingo, you got it. I almost forgot about this thread, BTW.
    It turned out to be sciatica with the pain getting to the point that if I sneezed I felt a shooting pain down my leg and my entire leg would go numb for a few seconds. A few sessions with a great chiropractor had me feeling great.

Lou.

BS the DC
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider
    Bingo, you got it. I almost forgot about this thread, BTW.
    It turned out to be sciatica with the pain getting to the point that if I sneezed I felt a shooting pain down my leg and my entire leg would go numb for a few seconds. A few sessions with a great chiropractor had me feeling great.

Lou.
    I'm glad to hear. I didn't notice how old this thread was. I thought I was responding to a new thread. It's nice to get instant feedback, though. I'm glad it all worked out.

Bradley
    "The team wasn't just riders. It was the mechanics, masseurs, chefs, soigneurs, and doctors. But the most important man on the team may have been the chiropractor."

- Lance Armstrong, Every Second Counts