Call me a Fred

How to Raise Hematocrit levels?

I had some blood work done, and my hematocrit was 44.7. Other than hooking up with some EPO, is there a way to raise that level, or am I stuck with it.

I have read that living at altiude will raise the level, but I already live at 5000 ft and am not going to move higher.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

You're normal

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker
    I had some blood work done, and my hematocrit was 44.7. Other than hooking up with some EPO, is there a way to raise that level, or am I stuck with it.

I have read that living at altiude will raise the level, but I already live at 5000 ft and am not going to move higher.
    There are many pro's with your Hct. It's not holding you back in any significant way. Hct is not the single measure that can tell you how fast you are. You could try a hypoxic tent and sleep at 12K, or you could iron supplement and run the risk of hemochromatosis.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    you could try getting renal cell carcinoma or von-Hippel Lindau syndrome

Call me a Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by dave962b
    you could try getting renal cell carcinoma or von-Hippel Lindau syndrome
    Sounds like a plan. Then after I win the TDF, I could fund a foundation to cure them.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

53T
    The Right Wing
    Dude, 45 is not low. EPO would be your only option. Or get tested while really dehydrated, or hydrated, I can never remember. Gotta go, cops are coming...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker

The average Hematocrit for all blood samples, taken from all riders, at the last 5 TdFs is a bit under 42.

Most people get the mistaken interpretation that an average HcT is 45+ (since most labs list 'normal' values as 42-51 or so). The range is what is considered normal, but does not imply an average. The average Hct for a healthy male is about 44. Athletes run a little lower due to incresaed plasma volume (red cell volume increases with exercise also, but not to the same degree as plasma volume, hence the lower Hct).

So, you're already above average for a non-athlete, and have an advantage against a vast majority of athletes (purely in terms of O2 carrying capacity, assuming you were well hydrated and your other indices were normal).

Scott

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    scotmart: how do you know that "The average Hematocrit for all blood samples, taken from all riders, at the last 5 TdFs is a bit under 42."

thanks
    /Joel

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    You could just of think something that makes you blush and as your face´s getting red your blood is being raised and thus your hematocrit.Isn´t this great?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by joel.engstrom
    scotmart: how do you know that "The average Hematocrit for all blood samples, taken from all riders, at the last 5 TdFs is a bit under 42."

thanks
    /Joel
    The results of the pre-race checks are reported every year.

Scot

Every little counts...
    You could stop drinking water 48 hours before your next race, that will raise your HCr. Good luck.

Resident Dutchbag
    Move to Copacabana. Bolivia, that is. It's on the shores of lake Titicaca at an altitude of 12,500 feet.
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."