RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

How to warm up for a TT?

Looking for recommendations on how to properly warm up for a 6 mile, relatively flat, time trial? I want to get properly warmed up, but not over do it. If it means anything I usually feel like it takes me 10 or so miles to feel best on group rides, and I have a crit and road race in the days following. ¡Gracias!
    Ps, I'm not neccessarily in 'race shape', since this is my first full wknd of racing in years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    i did the state itt champs this weekend,
    My program was 20min rolling over then 3 "efforts" not at full pace but harder on each one for 2-3 mins over the next 20 mins so ample recovery between efforts.
    drink always in hand
    then off bike finish getting dressed and start
    40 to 50 min warm up fisnish 5 mins before race starts
    it worked pretty well and i felt good from the start will go longer warm up this weekend.
    Roll down after the race finishs for 10 mins then get hydrated and recover for the next day. i did this and lead out the sprint the next day in the rr
    Not F Schleck. The last 24k is downhill, and he descends like a drunken cat. Quote: justinb

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a 40 minute warm up that I do before TT's.

-20 minutes of spinning
    -1 minute threshold level interval followed by 1 minute of spinning
    -2 minute threshold level interval followed by 2 minute of spinning
    -2 minute threshold level interval followed by 2 minute of spinning
    -4-5 minutes of spinning

Get off the bike 10 minutes before the start, put the trainer away, use the bathroom and go to the start line with a few minutes to get ready.
    Bikes:
    • 2012 CAAD10 (4)
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 1998 Marin East Peak - MTB
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Simple rule

Quote Originally Posted by n_schuster View Post
    Looking for recommendations on how to properly warm up for a 6 mile, relatively flat, time trial? I want to get properly warmed up, but not over do it. If it means anything I usually feel like it takes me 10 or so miles to feel best on group rides, and I have a crit and road race in the days following. ¡Gracias!
    Ps, I'm not neccessarily in 'race shape', since this is my first full wknd of racing in years.
    Others have given you some good advice. The fact that you need 10 miles to warm up during group rides suggests at least this distance for the TT, with a couple of intense surges followed by a spind down. The rule to keep in mind is that you want to be at the starting line "still sweating but not out of breath."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I've tried a lot of different warm ups for TT's and haven't perfected it yet. For a while I was doing 30-40 minutes of spinning with 3-4 1' red line efforts in there. Again, roll up to the start line with little enough time so your legs don't get stale. I found that this wasn't working as well as I wanted, but I do know people who are very fast that swear by it.

Lately I've been doing a pyramid sort of effort. 10 minutes of Z2, 5 minutes of Z3, 3 minutes of Threshold, 1 minute V02, 2 minutes of threshold, 5-10 minutes of Z2, and then spin over to the start. 5 minutes of really easy spinning between all of these. It seems to be working pretty well for me, it takes about an hour and most of my TTs are in the 24-27 minute range.