RoadBikeReview Member

How would you modify time crunch for this schedule

Started last week on time crunch cycling program. After the 9th week, I have to out of town for 4 days ( no bike option) that's march twelve. On April 3rd, I plan on doing a 8 hour mtb race with a team.
    I was thinking ending my cycle at 9 weeks, and just do normal riding up to race.

waterproof*
    That's 2 weeks still remaining, a bit long for a taper. I haven't read the book but I'd say you have time for at least one more week of quality workouts, then taper the last week.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    Four days off is not bad, and you will not really lose much. Try throwing in extra hours the week before and using the four days as recovery.

kytyree
    Yeah, 4 off isn't bad, stretch, maybe do some light cardio once or twice if you get the chance, even walking, while you're out of town and you'll feel good coming back.

Like Creaky said I'd be cautious about tapering too long before a race of that length, then again I'm not sure how many of the 8 hours the team aspect of it has you riding yourself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Four days off is nothing. Just hop back into the plan as if you'd never been gone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Consider "crash training" (unfortunate name, I realize) -- train ridiculously hard for four days straight, then take four days completely off.

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0236.htm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnStonebarger
    Consider "crash training" (unfortunate name, I realize) -- train ridiculously hard for four days straight, then take four days completely off.
    I personally wouldn't, for fear of injury and/or illness. Presumably the OP is going out of town for work and might not have the luxury of pure rest during those four days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pretender
    I personally wouldn't, for fear of injury and/or illness. Presumably the OP is going out of town for work and might not have the luxury of pure rest during those four days.
    The risk of injury is minimal, and "pure rest" during recovery is unnecessary. Anyone with a history of injuries should be particularly cautious, of course, but otherwise any reasonably well-rested athlete should be able to handle the extra work load for 2-7 days.

I realize that cyclists are a conservative lot, but manipulating recovery can offer some impressive gains. In this case, crash training could turn time off the bike into a real opportunity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    no rest for those 4 days... 36 holes of golf each day

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Get a coach - seriously. I was having a very tough time with 1) coming up with a effective program around my busy shedule 2) and a proper taper before an upcoming race. With a coach, I have absolutley no worries, the communucation is open, for whenever I need a change, etc. ..and I am flying on the bike.

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnStonebarger

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0236.htm

question on knee pain