Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Knee Injury

761 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  akura 
#1 ·
This week is the first time I missed a scheduled ride because of an injury. I rode the "Horribly Hilly" 200K ride a little over a week ago and on a ride a few days later noticed some sharp pain in my right knee to the outside of my knee cap. It wasn't to intense then faded some so I did another ride 5 days later, 160 miles. The last 20 were quite painful and now I have constant sharp pain when putting pressure on my leg. I guess I may have injured this while pushing so hard on the steep hills and maybe need to see an ortho to find out what's really going on. Anyone else have a similar experience?

#2 ·
One of the most likely reasons is IT band, from all the
low cadence mashing. I use a foam roller on the outside
thigh to loosen the IT band, has worked great.

#3 ·
If you aren't already stretching to relieve tightness in the lower back, glutes and legs now would be a good time to start. In addition to the foam roller there are various stretches you can find online (especially cycling sites like Bicycling mag) to help with IT band if that is what it is.

Seeing a doc isn't necessarily a bad idea, but unless they are either an athlete or work with lots of athletes it may not yield results other than "stop riding" or something similarly inane. Finding a local doc that is a Cat3 and avid cyclist and runner and is interested in sports medicine was one of the best things to happen to me. Good luck!

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have some stretching exersices I do but will look for more info on the IT band and in particular finding some foam rollers. It would be great if I could work this out and not have to take significant time off the bike in the middle of the season.

#5 ·
A 200k hilly ride followed by a 160 miler less than a week later on a sore knee? Sounds like a bad case of over-doing it. Could be as simple as a bit of tendonitis but I'd definitely stay off the bike and have it checked out. 160 miles on an already injured knee could have done more damage than a couple days off can fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.