Thread: Lactic acid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Lactic acid

How does one prevent lactic acid before a ride and during a ride?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Simple answer.

You don't. (or you ride down hill with a tail wind i.e. you do not increase work rate above resting)

Resting La is about ~ 1 mmol. It increases based upon exercise intensity (and is further based upon fitness). Myriad factors increase the ability to oxidize substrate during exercsie (increased Q [cardiac output], increased capilary density, increased mito density, increased enzymes, etc.) which can decrease the amount of lactate produced given work rate.

You can decrease the drop in plasma pH by using a buffer (sodium citrate, baking soda, etc), but that can cause gastric effects if you don't get it right.

Why do you ask?
    "The lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life apparently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are consumed."......http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?reco...10490&page=275

Feel free to PM me nutrition questions. I will answer them if I have time.....

Cycling Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by spinnertsaf View Post
    How does one prevent lactic acid before a ride and during a ride?
    Blood lactate is normal and levels elevate when we exercise and drop naturally when we ease off or stop. BL isn't however a bad thing, indeed it is a source of fuel for our metabolism.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    They have pills for lactic acid prevention. I've never taken them and don't know if they actually work or if it would be a good thing for you not to feel the burn.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Sportslegs work pretty well but do not use them every ride as I have noticed personally that I was getting diminished results and relying on them too heavily.

I don't use them now, but will use them when I know that I have hill training or a hard ride.

Cycling Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeekster64 View Post
    They have pills for lactic acid prevention. I've never taken them and don't know if they actually work or if it would be a good thing for you not to feel the burn.
    Muscle soreness has nothing to do with "lactic acid". Indeed we don't produce lactic acid, we produce lactate, it's a fuel and a buffer that enables us to do more and go harder than we otherwise could.

Lactic acid = bad is one of the great myths

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    The idea that "lactic acid" is the cause of sore legs after rides (or other sore muscles) must be one of the most stubborn myths in sports. It seems to never go away. I wonder how it was first perpetuated. Because it sure gained traction among the public at large. I'm pretty sure I heard it way back as a kid at a running camp in the early 1980s and all the way up to running cross country in high school. I don't think I knew the real deal about lactate and how fast elevated levels actually clear from our blood (within minutes of intense effort, correct?) until I started reading lots of stuff about exercise physiology in the late 1990s.

Cycling Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorback View Post
    how fast elevated levels actually clear from our blood (within minutes of intense effort, correct?)
    Pretty much all gone within an hour of ceasing hard exercise.