RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

lemond revmaster spin bike vs trainersor rollers?

Anybody have or used the Lemond Revmaster Spinner? Any comparisons to other spinners or rollers or trainers in terms of work out benefits? Aside from the cost difference, I would welcome any opinions. Trying to stay in shape over the winter. Thanks

Power Napper

My two cents

Quote Originally Posted by consciouspilot
    Anybody have or used the Lemond Revmaster Spinner? Any comparisons to other spinners or rollers or trainers in terms of work out benefits? Aside from the cost difference, I would welcome any opinions. Trying to stay in shape over the winter. Thanks
    I think the Revmaster is one of the best indoor stationary bikes available. Well built, smooth, lots of adjustment to get a good fit. If you want to spend the money on a stationary bike this is worth the cost. They are now available with a computer to track time, heart rate and cadence.

Compared to a bike on a trainer I would say you can get very similar workouts done on a bike/trainer combo as a Revmaster. A possible advantage to the trainer is that it is YOUR bike, or a old bike set up with the same fit, so the fit is going to be a little better and more like real riding. OTOH an areo position is not always desirable on a trainer because of comfort issues. Indoors you just aren't moving around and changing hand positions as much as outdoors and that can lead to wrist/arm/shoulder/back pains. In general I have indoor bikes (of any kind) set up with the bars a little higher than I would normally.

Rollers are good for working a smooth pedal stroke and bike control. What they are missing is the opportunity to do out of the saddle drills or slow cadence/high resistance leg strength drills.

So it's all a matter of focus and preference. If you want to avoid wear and tear and possible sweat damage on your good road bike, a stationary bike is an alternative. But if you have an old bike that you can use on a trainer, then it will save you a bunch of bucks. For half the price of a Revmaster you can get a top of the line trainer. If money is no object and you've got the floor space, treat yourself to a Revmaster. You might even be able to find one on Ebay.

BTW, "Spinner" is trademarked to Maddog Athletics. Kind of like "Kleenex" or "BandAid."
    "When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am the friend of its happiness: when these things can be said, then may that country boast its constitution and its government." -Thomas Paine

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

Rode one a few weeks ago at a gym

Quote Originally Posted by consciouspilot
    Got real close to fitting like my bike on my trainer. That's the key, it was close, but not the same. Tell you what though, it had all the goodies, quiet, solid. If I didn't have a bike to put on my trainer or didn't want to put on a trainer, this would be a good call.