RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

Making up bottles (lke HEED) days in advance ?

Often I will make up 2 days worth of bottles at at time, for that days ride and the next days. Scoop of HEED, about 3/4 filled with water, shaken not stirred, stuck in fridge. Then just before riding I'll fill them up with ice.

Any reason they can't be mixed up like this even a week in advance? I could do something like 5 days of bottles at the same time which would be easier than one at a time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    IIRC Hammer suggests to freeze them, not refrigerate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Try it

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteLoop
    Often I will make up 2 days worth of bottles at at time, for that days ride and the next days. Scoop of HEED, about 3/4 filled with water, shaken not stirred, stuck in fridge. Then just before riding I'll fill them up with ice.

Any reason they can't be mixed up like this even a week in advance? I could do something like 5 days of bottles at the same time which would be easier than one at a time.
    Most likely you will be fine if you start with clean bottles. You would be willing to keep orange juice or Kool-Aid in the fridge for a week, yes? To be completely safe, put them in the freezer, but still probably OK in the fridge.

I ride in circles..
    Some protein drinks and such recommend mixing right before use and warn against storing mixed for any length of time. I've been told not to mix Accelerade and store it.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    I found HEED can go bad in fridg. Even if it doesn't go bad there, I had it go bad within 2 hours of riding (I had another bottle just mixed and that one was fine), On the other hand my PowerBar Endurance Mix can last a little longer in fridg.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Not sure about Heed, but I agree on the acclerade, I had it in the fridge for 24 hours and it tasted off to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    When you say it went bad... Just the taste? How bad?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    HEED goes from that subtle taste to taste that is some where between sour milk and wet Floor mob.