Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Höchstgeschwindigkeit
    Spanish Beef Jerky with special ingredient C12H18Cl2N2O

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Stamper
    umm, you could take Slim Jim's and Bubble Yum and you'd see amazing gains when you start working out after 15 years of sitting around.
    LOL! Great advice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by prs77
    Espresso - Try a double or a triple 15-20 minutes before you ride or post ride if it's several hours and you need a kick on the way home. It's nice because it's not a large amount of liquid sloshing around in your stomach.

SuperPump 250 by Gaspari Nutrition - you can order from bodybuilding.com or numerous other websites. It's basically caffeine, creatine, and nitric oxide. Similar to NO Explode. Only take maybe once a week for a really hard club ride or a race. You don't want to gain water weight from the creatine. In addition, caffeine loses it's impact when you take it regularly. If you stop taking caffeine for 4-5 days and start again you get the nice stimulating effect. Everybody will notice an impact when they try this! No joke!

Cytomax - My regular drink in the water bottles. It buffers lactic acid really well and your legs won't hurt even though your heart might be redlined.

ZMA by Optimum Nutrition - Take at night for a great nights sleep. I wake up noticeably less sore than when I don't use it.

Rhodiola - The main ingredient in Optygen, but it's way cheaper when you buy it from a health store. Not sure I noticed much.
    I drink coffee during my midride break too.

I think a lot of the Gaspari products are good. I took Super Pump before and I stacked it with Size On. These were during my fighting phase before I realized my body was more built for cycling. The size on did help with recovery. But then most cyclists won't bother with these supplements.

The ZMA was good, I always took it a few hours before going to sleep probably about 10 hours before I had to wake up because it did make me sleep well.

But now that I mostly ride and don't really go to the gym. I take a multivitamin, because my diet isn't always good, along with fish oil and flaxseed oil. Either Adam by NOW or Optiman by Optimum Nutrition are my favorite mutivitamins. And Ultima Replenisher during rides.

I am thinking of getting back on Activate Xtreme. It is a testosterone booster, that always gives me the next gear when I feel the need to push myself a little harder.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dwgranda
    Out of curiosity, I tried this stuff called Dark Rage. You can get it at GNC or online I noticed a difference, and was able to maintain higher power numbers with less feeling of exertion. I compared identical rides one day to the next of 2 hrs and my avg heart rate was 10 bpm higher on the dark rage. I've read in other forums that the effects wane with regular use, but if you want to get a kick, that will do it. It also felt like I wanted to eat everything after a ride, but it could have been the nausea which is a known side effect.
    from what i can gather the sign of improved fitness would be a *lower* heart rate at the same power output..... also i tend to avoid things that make me nauseous...

i'm solidly in the food/water camp. on the bike i bring dried apricots and sometimes a mojo bar or larabar (just dates and nuts usually). i'll use nuun tablets in one of my water bottles if its going to be a particularly sweaty ride..

Rocket Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by sdeeer

Caffiene tends to have ergoenic effects. A recent review (Burke 2008) is pretty detailed on this topic.
    That's a pretty neat trick since he passed away in 2002.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23
    That's a pretty neat trick since he passed away in 2002.
    Buzz. (there can be more than one person with the same last name who writes about the same topic)

He passed away in 2002. She lives in Australia and is married to John Hawley.

http://article.pubs.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/p...startPage=1319
    "The lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life apparently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are consumed."......http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?reco...10490&page=275

Feel free to PM me nutrition questions. I will answer them if I have time.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    With all the calories burned from cycling, the best cycling supplements are the sinful foods you craved for. I swear your body will thank you for that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As others have already stated proper nutrition is optimal but there is no reason why supplementation cant be used as well. In terms of cycling "supps", some have mentioned sportlegs, i have tried this and felt it does work. Although i felt as if i was on something or high if you will. You def know you took something after the first dose, these effects linger long after your workout is over. I stopped taking because of it. Other supp. that are applicable and have positive documented human studies are beta-alanine, l-citrulline, L-arginine, lesser known and less studied are Cordyceps, and Rhodiola rosea. All of these can be found very cheap on amazon. Optygen HP has a few of these mentioned supps. Just a note on beta alanine, my own personal exp. is that fatigue is noticeably delayed while talking this. The only caveat is some may not enjoy its side effects. I actually enjoy the feeling, tingling of the skin but only lasts for an hour or so after taking. If your not super dosing these side effects are minimal. As for post workout nutrition i have always been a fan of endurox as well as First Endurance Ultragen Recovery Drink Mix both expensive the endurox is more bang for your buck. If you splurge for the Ultragen the cappuccino flavor is the best tasting sport/protien/energy drink i have ever had. If you heated it up and placed it next to an actual cappuccino youd be hard pressed to pick the imposter. What i have been doing lately to save money on my post workout nutrition is a simple delicious recipe that takes seconds to make and is all that the store bought post workout drinks claims to be. My room mate devours chinese food and always has extra white rice in the fridge. He doesnt mind me making use of his desiccated long grain. Place a cup of white rice in bowl with 1/4 cup of water 1/4 cup of raisins, tablespoon of honey and a pinch of salt, cover with plastic wrap pop in microwave for 1:30. While this is heating up heat up a nonstick egg pan add tablespoon olive oil and fry up two eggs. Cook as you wish i enjoy over easy and add to warmed up rice and raisins....devour. The italian in me cant help but at some tomato sauce, canned is actually good here as it has a high sugar content, this would be akin to eggs in purgatory with a hint of sweetness from the honey and raisins. Dorian Yates pro body builder swears on this recipe as do I. Enjoy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Beetroot juice

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Back when I was in college the NCAA nutrition experts recommended for endurance athletes to consider 1) a multivitamin and 2) a protein supplement.

The multivitamin was to help manage any individual deficiencies you might have, and the protein is simply to assist recovery because it's difficult to get enough raw protein if you're working really hard.

The other trick is to have an amount of recovery food to eat within 15 min of the end of your workout. It's been shown that your body begins absorbing calories and nutrients within 15 min and the sooner you get the nutrients in the better and faster your recovery. So this practice is a no-brainer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    EPO seems to work well too. Lol!! Though food and water does best!!

The Cube
    Its really very different for every person. Frank and Andy Schleck, with their very similar genetics and training, may have totally different nutritional needs. Others who train tons, may not be deficient in much. Some who train little, and still eat right, may have notable nutritional deficiencies. Its as much about what you absorb from your food, drink, and and additional supplements you choose, as it is about how much of any of it you present to your stomach.
    The sure way to know what you are lacking is to go to a sports nutritionist and have a complete work up of your blood, and probably urine and stool to see what chemicals are winding up where. This is expensive and for most of us, not very useful in training. But if you are losing ground in training, or constantly getting colds etc, or suffering from depression that you did not have before becoming an athlete, then maybe this would be worthwhile.
    I am not recommending everyone spend a bunch of money and get checked this way, or that we all spend a bunch of money buying supplements based on what deficiencies have a tendency to develop in athletes. I am saying that finding out what you do or do not need, is one option.
    K$

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I've had good luck with Scivation Xtend (Freeform BCAAs) as well as supplementing with glutamine for quick recovery. Just realize the body isn't a textbook and it will take some time/experimentation to find what works for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vontress
    I starting to agree with sdeer that most are not worth the money. There are real food ways of getting your needs met. For anything over an 1.5 or so though I'll still stick with my Cytomax and sportlegs. The rest isn't worth it to me.
    Do you take both at the same time?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Creatine Monohydrate is an excellent lean muscle mass builder. It's cheap. I have not had any side effects. Some might have concerns with weight gain. But I actually have to watch for too much weight loss in heavy training, so it's no issue for me. 5g/day. Latest research shows no benefit from loading at the start (taking a higher dose to load your system with the chemical initially). There are studies that show it works to build muscle mass even in sedentary people and the elderly. As a climber, I notice that it has helped me in TT and in head winds where prolonged high power output is required, which is where I suck and needed the boost. I first used it when my main form of exercise was weight lifting. The results were quite profound with significant increase of strength and lean mass. Beyond that, proper nutrition and rest are the big factors for me. Post ride recovery nutrition is an area that I am especially diligent to cover.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Creatine

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy1248
    Creatine Monohydrate is an excellent lean muscle mass builder.
    But it's generally contraindicated for endurance athletes. Lots of research to support this. Just saying. Creatine was all the rage about 10 years ago, but then the side effects (dehydration, cramping) and the lack of benefit caused it to fall out of favor.
    Last edited by Kerry Irons; 12-09-2010 at 05:03 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Stacking Quake 10.0 with XTend (BCAA) pre-workout (interval on cycle and treadmill + weight/strength training) proving phenomenal. XTend during and after for recovery as needed is reducing soreness to nil.

Workload is way up, as is endurance. Also running through a bottle of Optygen HP, 4 caps per day. Not nearly as noticable as the Scivation products and it's expensive. Started Optygen HP 2 weeks ago, so it should be loaded. Wondering what it is supposed to do?

Lastly, supplementing with daily multivitimins. Compared with just adding Protien to daily diet, the pre/post workout drinks from Scivation have really been the trick. Thanks for the recommndations gang.

Let's see how we perform on a live ride this weekend. Pray for no rain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwgranda
    Out of curiosity, I tried this stuff called Dark Rage. You can get it at GNC or online
    Based on the following excerpt of the product description from GNC's website, I got to think those who might be subject to WADA anti-doping controls would probably do well to take a pass on this one:

Next Generation Pre-Workout Formula*

• EPO Blood Doping Technology™

• Increases EPO & NITRIC OXIDE for Insane Muscle Pumps & Vascularity*
    Michael - There may not be an 'I' in team but there is a 'U' in suck!
    __0
    _ \ |_
    (O)/ (O)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    But it's generally contraindicated for endurance athletes. Lots of research to support this. Just saying. Creatine was all the rage about 10 years ago, but then the side effects (dehydration, cramping) and the lack of benefit caused it to fall out of favor.
    The research I've read does not support what you are saying. The reports of cramping were exactly that, reports. Research on trained and untrained endurance athletes was unable to reproduce the alleged cramping. The reported cramping was thought to be the result of dehydration. Since creatine causes water retention in muscles it was recommended to drink more when using creatine. The main draw back for endurance athletes is the weight gain. That has been associated with the practice of loading (20 g / day). New research indicates that six .5g doses / day are as effective with much reduced weight gain.

I don't propose using creatine as a race day performance booster. It is only proven effective for short high intensity power gains (ie sprinting). That indicates it will allow higher intensity training intervals, which should, in theory result in greater adaptations and performance gains. The studies are conclusive that it does boost power for short time periods.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, I take multi vitamins, B-12 and protein. When I do a longer rides I take Sports-legs which works great for me. I also put ZYM in my water bottles! It's excellent tasting and helps keep my hydrated.

Dieting is key for all riders. I went from 205 lbs to 180 lbs in about 3 1/2 months I use to be a collegiate wrestler and know what you have to do to drop the pounds. Stopped eating fast food and stopped drinking soda was one key. I do have one soda usually after a long ride. Just to get my engine going once again.

I'm happy to say by trial and error I've found what works and what doesn't. I hope the same to all my follow riders. Happy riding!!!
    2011 Cannondale Super Six
    2005 Cannondale Scalpel
    2003 Cannondale Jekyll

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12