RoadBikeReview Member

Natural Foods MENU A La Carte for the Cycling Enthusiast

I am looking to improve my diet to a more natural approach and on of the things I want to change is to replace energy products like the GU gels as a form of energy replacement/boost (especially now that I know some GUs give me migraines).

Would you fellow cycling friend help me create a GOOD list of natural foods you find help you boost your energy on a cycling trip or a century, etc. Let's make a constructive helpful list that can help me and future cyclists like me!

Thank You in advance,

Peter

RoadBikeReview's Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pferreira
    I am looking to improve my diet to a more natural approach and on of the things I want to change is to replace energy products like the GU gels as a form of energy replacement/boost (especially now that I know some GUs give me migraines).

Would you fellow cycling friend help me create a GOOD list of natural foods you find help you boost your energy on a cycling trip or a century, etc. Let's make a constructive helpful list that can help me and future cyclists like me!

Thank You in advance,

Peter
    You can buy organic fig newtons at your local whole foods/hipster co-op/organic store. They're great for cycling.
    "It's hard to tell the poison from the cure, so enjoy the disease."
    -Mohair_Chair

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    honey is good, black coffee, potatoes work suprsingly well, mostly anyfood that originates from the earth!

The Trollinator
    Apr 2008

Thank You in advance,

Peter
    Bananas. 1 banana ~= 2 gus. Not the densest form of energy, but fresh, cheap, and you can get them organic. Plus you can throw away the wrapper and it decomposes! Not a lot of salt, though.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/f...-juices/1846/2

Anti-Hero
    Peanut butter (natural) and jelly (once again- natural, sweetened w/fruit juice) sandwich, home-made trail mix (put whatever you want in it)... you can find a lot of recipes on the intarwebs for making your own bars as well.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    (especially now that I know some GUs give me migraines)
    How do you know that gus gave you the headaches?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Easy choices

Easy choice is dried fruit. Figs/fig bars are old favorites. Raisins work too. Glycemic index is 60-65, so you have plan ahead a little compared to the quick buzz from sugar. For a slower burn plus protein and quality fat, mixed nuts make a good snack, and are salted as well. Early in a race, Euro racers eat ham/cream cheese/jam sandwiches for a mix of slow burn and some fast carbs (from the jam).

RoadBikeReview Member
    GUs give me migraines... Not all but some flavors. I tested them and every time I consumed the ones that triggered a migraine it did it. Chocolate GU seems to be OK, but I have gotten I migraine from the sberry/banana and last week from the orange flavor. This weekend I had chocolate and berry on Monday and was fine... Today I had the orange again and the rest of the day I spent it with a migraine in bed. I have done a whole 2 weeks using only natural foods like trail mix, bananas water and powerhade and no problems!

Peter

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have you tried other gels? I find that Hammer works the best for me. No headaches for me, but I don't like he GU brand either.

Clif blocks are a good alternative to gels and are made with "real" stuff. The energy from blocks seems to have a little longer tail than gels. I find gels are good for a quick boost.

Bananas, dried apricots, raisins, nuts, peanut butter & honey tortillas, etc... are all good.

Another thing that the guys at Herriott Sports Performance turned me on to are these gels made with agave syrup called Chocolate #9. They are made with nothing but organic agave syrup and breakfast cocoa. They are vegan and have a very low glycemic index. Use them like a gel or put them on a peanut butter and banana sandwich post ride for the ultimate recovery meal. Seriously good stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've become a big fan of "Carb Boom" gel. About as all natural as an energy gel can get. There's a coupla preservatives in it but that's about it.
    And I've takin to using raisins instead of jelly on my peanut butter sandwiches.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi Tyro,

That's realy good information! Thank you. Where do you get the honey tortillas?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey Velodog,

You actually put raisins inside your bread with peanut butter?

Peter

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi Tyro,

That's realy good information! Thank you. Where do you get the honey tortillas?
    I'm sorry. I meant a tortilla smothered with pb and honey. Yeah, you can put raisins or banana in there too. I use white tortillas, as they are easier on the tummy.

Oh, check out Honey Stinger products if you get a chance. They make gels, gummies, and bars. They are made from wholesome ingredients.

Best of luck! Experiment and you'll eventually find the stuff that works for you. When you do, it makes the experience that much more enjoyable.

vexatious enigma
    Quote Originally Posted by pretender
    How do you know that gus gave you the headaches?
    I'm assuming that a migraine was obtained. Of course it's hard to say for sure and it can be very circumstantial and requires testing but if he stopped and the headaches went away it's a fair assumption. There are some ingredients that just don't agree with some humans.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey Velodog,

You actually put raisins inside your bread with peanut butter?

Peter
    Yeah, peanut butter and raisin sandwich.
    Is this a trick question?

RoadBikeReview Member
    No, not a trick question! Just never heard of it, but will be giving it a try! Sounds good.

Peter