RoadBikeReview Member

New to racing teenager Disc or rim brakes?

My 15 yr old son is going to start racing next year. He is 5'9" (175cm) and weighs 110 pounds dripping wet. He is still growing and should top out at about 5'11 (180cm). He has a good spin and climbs pretty well, leaves me in the dust now when the road goes up. He has out grown his old bike and I'm looking to transfer his wheels and componentry to a new frame.

This frame is likely going to get abused and dropped. Most kids his age will be on rim brakes but he's not that confident on descents and wants discs like he has on his mountain bike.
    I have no experience with a racing disc bike but do like them on by everything bike.
    My wallet is telling me to go for the rim brake frame but my paternal side is telling me discs.

Are there any positives or negatives to a beginner learning to race on a disc bike over a rim braked bike?

cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    how about find him a cheap rim brake frame and use aluminum wheels?
    Disc frames are nice but they need to be hydro disc and not cable disc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks, that is what I heard from another friend. He also points out that it's easier for the lad to do his own work on rim brakes than with hydro discs. Makes a good point. Brake pads are cheaper than frames. I also have a heap of wheels he can use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    There are still plenty of adults still racing with rim brakes. your son is going to be fine with rim brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    just for convenience we have decided to go for rim brakes and a Roubaix style frame with plenty of clearance for wide tires. The big S bike looks pretty good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    dang you bought him a new Specialized Roubaix? That's balling. If I had a son I'd buy him a good used aluminum frame for sure. Just make sure he knows he's racing for fun and not for money so not to do something stupid when the adrenaline kicks. Seeing how many young guns around here (teens an 20somethings still living with parents) go balls-out in crits make me cringe. Perspective, perspective. Didn't mean to sound like a worry susan or nervous nellie (or whatever) lol

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    dang you bought him a new Specialized Roubaix? That's balling. If I had a son I'd buy him a good used aluminum frame for sure. Just make sure he knows he's racing for fun and not for money so not to do something stupid when the adrenaline kicks. Seeing how many young guns around here (teens an 20somethings still living with parents) go balls-out in crits make me cringe. Perspective, perspective. Didn't mean to sound like a worry susan or nervous nellie (or whatever) lol
    not new. No way. and just a frame. I have enough drivetrain and cockpit parts for his sisters bikes as well. He isn't that kind of kid, even in rugby and soccer he tends to use his brain first. He is built like George Bennett was as a kid (George grew up about 6kms away from my parents house) and will be a novice at the back for a few years. Thanks for your concern.