RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Nice double fudge brownie for long rides?

So, with the new season, my club has started to increase the distance of each ride and pace. We started with 78km riding around 30kph average with a group of 12 people. Now, we are at 130km riding approx. 33-34kph. Traditionally, I have stuck to either store bought rice cakes with coconut shavings and filling...or home made rice cakes with eggs and bacon like the slipstream team makes. this has fared quite well for the 100km rides. But, I just bought a box of brownies from the local grocery store out of temptation. I understand the point of eating while on the bike is to intake calories and nutrient. However, I don't know if I should replace my rice cake regiment with these lovely brownies

In summary, these brownies have a decent amount of electrolytes (roughly 200mg potassium and 160 sodium) and amount to 330 calories per bar! In addition there is also a relatively high fat content . Essentially, it's junk food.....

Question: Bad idea? Good idea? Doesn't matter?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    You're just asking for permission to eat those brownies. Go to your priest for absolution, not this board.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Rice cakes = mostly carbs

Brownies = lots of fat

Eat the brownies if you like, but don't do it because you think its performance food.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pretender
    You're just asking for permission to eat those brownies. Go to your priest for absolution, not this board.
    Just a question. Taking it a little too seriously are we?

Anti-Hero
    Try eating one when you're on a non-serious ride first in case they don't work for you. If you eat one and feel great, then go for it. If you eat one and puke/bonk/etc, then you should probably give them to a fat friend.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    Try eating one when you're on a non-serious ride first in case they don't work for you. If you eat one and feel great, then go for it. If you eat one and puke/bonk/etc, then you should probably give them to a fat friend.
    Yeah, will give it a shot tomorrow. I have a feeling it won't work too well....definite bonk. The high fat content in the bar is probably too much to take, already that you body is starving for carbs on a long hard effort...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 02tones02
    Just a question. Taking it a little too seriously are we?
    I get tired of idiot food neuroses and wish people would just cut the crap.

Are you trying to lose weight? If so, throw the brownies away. Are you happy with your weight? Then eat the brownies.

Pretty simple, that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wash it down with a real Coke. Just don't give me one!
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"She loves to limbo. That much is clear. She's got the right dynamic for the New Frontier"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    if there was no purpose of sports oriented food, we would all eat brownies and donuts. when I do extended rides, which is not often, I plan 1 clif bar per hour, and 1 enervit every 30 mins for the last 90 mins. that has got me through many hours of serious mountains.

The Cube
    I'd bet the brownie will make you feel however you expect it will. if you're taking a seriously long ride, you're burning enough calories to counterract a brownie. and while fat may be better during recovery than during a ride, if you don't supply it to your body, your body will store it in response. don't get me wrong, there's clearly healthier things to eat than a brownie, but that's a bigger concern for the person who eats stuff like that all the time, and doesn't burn it off with bike rides that last longer than the football games they watch while eating and drinking high sugar/fat/calorie junk.

in other words, unlees you're competing at high level, you can get away with a little bad eating because of how much you exercise. I do agree that you should test it out first, though.
    K$