RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

Optygen and Cramping?

I just finished the 6 day loading phase of Optygen and and 2 days into maintenance amounts. This week I have been experiencing cramping. not so bad that I need to stop, but enough to be annoying. in the past i NEVER cramped. 108 degrees in the alps and no cramps, etc, etc. so this is a bit weird. now before I blame the supplement, I am also doing more intense workouts based on HR and LT, so my workouts have gotten alot tougher in the last 7-10 days. muscle soreness and/or fatigue I might expect, but the cramping is a bit odd. My diet is the same, and I am well hydrated. maybe I should get more potassium? maybe this will go away? don't know. any ideas woudl be appreciaetd

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Well, what does it have in it?

"Loading" phase sounds like it has some sort of creatine supplement which is widely associated with an increase susceptibility to cramping.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Barry
    Well, what does it have in it?

"Loading" phase sounds like it has some sort of creatine supplement which is widely associated with an increase susceptibility to cramping.
    No creatine in it. In my experience it allows you to go a little harder alot longer, which your legs may not be ready for this early in the season- ergo muscle cramping.

Also:

Q: Do the adaptogen's Rhodiola and Cordyceps in Optygen cause hypertension or cramping?

A: Absolutely not. The First Endurance research staff has done a thorough review of all the peer reviewed clinical studies and confirms that there is no evidence of hypertension or cramping. On the contrary, by definition adaptogen's allow the body to adapt to many physiological functions, including hypertension. In Supplementwatch.com's comprehensive review of the literature Optygen scored a 20 out of 20 on safety, again finding no evidence that this occurs.
    http://www.firstendurance.com/qa.html

Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.