RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Oregon, POC report

Piece Of Cake circuit road race (8 mile loop)
    7 laps (cut short due to weather 6 laps)
    Masters 35+ Cat 4/5.

Nothing outstanding occurred during this race. The high winds and
    cold rain put a damper on any possible attacks. The race was cut
    short by 1 lap (Thank Goodness). My hands were so cold and numb I
    couldn't feel the shifters or brakes. My goal for this race was to stay towards the front and finish with the front group. I was just looking for a good training ride.

At the start of the race, I was about mid-pack. No one wanted to push the pace at the front because of the strong head wind. The pace was almost too easy. I was able to move to the front on American Dr.. Just before the turn on to Creek Bend Dr, I went off the front before the corner. It wasn't a genuine attack. I just wanted the freedom to take the corner however I wanted. I also knew I could motor along at a good pace with the wind to my back. I was hoping that might string things out a little bit. I needed to amp up my heart rate so I could settle back into a good rythmn.

Nothing exciting happened after that. It was very predictable. It
    was a good exercise in pack riding. There were a lot of very
    unstable riders. I can count 5 significant times that I rode out of
    possible crash situations. It was validating to have people behind
    me yelling at the knuckleheads that bumped me or cut me off. I had
    one guy that swerved and bumped into me 3 different times. I
    couldn't guess where he was going to go in the corners, either.
    There were 3 **** team guys that were terrible pack riders. Besides
    those incidents, it was a very boring ride.

On the 4th lap, I went of the front again at Creek Bend Dr.. I get
    frustrated with how slow most people take the corners. The rough
    surface of these roads are better for wet weather. As we began the
    5th lap, I was starting to feel weary. I just stayed in the
    protection of the pack. I had to chase down a break of 4 at the end
    of Creek Bend Dr. with the rest of the pack on my wheel. That left
    me wondering if I had enough in me to stay with the pack for the next
    2 laps. Before the first corner on Dannen Rd, someone rode up behind
    me and said, "this is the last lap." The race officials had rung the
    bell as we crossed the finish line.

The pace was pathetically slow because no one wanted to work so close
    to the finish. I was satisfied that I would achieve my race
    objectives. I wasn't to eager to get up front for a sprint battle.
    I was concerned that I couldn't feel my hands. I wasn't sure I would
    be able to shift. I was slowly drifting back until I realized the
    lead pack was a lot smaller than I thought it was. So I just stayed
    in the draft at the back all the way to the tight corner on to Oak
    Plain Dr.. That corner is about 1km from the finish. The pack
    immediately started to string out. I was expecting a big mass of
    riders going for the sprint finish. Instead it was like people just
    gave up and were happy to be finishing and getting into warm
    clothing. I just kept motoring along passing people all the way to
    the finish line. I looked up and counted 4 guys ahead of me as I
    crossed the line. I am guessing I was 5th. I am sure if I
    had been at the front, back at the corner of Creek Bend and Oak Plain,
    I would have gotten a podium spot. Oh well. It was a good training
    ride and my best finish to date.

hrv
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

Great job!

I thought about doing POC but (a) it was a rest week and (b) I have a cough/chest thing that , if I raced in those conditions, my season might have been over!

I'm racing Kings Valley next. Might do Silverton but not sure if that will do anything for me, being only a week before KV..

hrv

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I wondered how things went. I left Albany at 9:00 and rode south into "that wind"(it was gusting to 20mph out to the south). There were times I could only go 10-11 mph. I went to Shedd and came back on 99E. I hit 30 mph a couple times on the hwy....great tailwind, lousy headwind!

Thankfully, it wasn't pouring like it did later in the day for the race.

TWD
    Quote Originally Posted by hrv
    I thought about doing POC but (a) it was a rest week and (b) I have a cough/chest thing that , if I raced in those conditions, my season might have been over!

I'm racing Kings Valley next. Might do Silverton but not sure if that will do anything for me, being only a week before KV..

hrv
    Staying home was a very good call on your part. I was listening to that wind howl and the rain batter my house (a bit north of Corvallis) on Sunday AM while I was home sick in bed. I was lying there thinking, "I'm glad I'm not racing in that!"

No shame in skipping a race in those conditions when you're sick.

I came down with a bad case of the flu last week and it went right into my chest. Temperature of 104, nasty cough, cold sweats, chills, sinus pressure, you name it. Went to the doc yesterday, and it turns out my lovely case of the flu transformed into Pneumonia.

Just perfect. Doc ordered me off the bike for two weeks, which is going to make getting to work a bit difficult (1 car family, wife gets the car since she has the kids).
    Looks like I WONT be doing Kings Valley this year. What a bummer, it's such a great race too.

I wouldn't say that my season is over, but my spring IS over. I'm gonna have abs of steel from all of the coughing fits though.

hrv
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

Hope you're better soon

Sounds pretty nasty, but there's a long season ahead. Makes you appreciate just being able to get out and ride, let alone train/race, doesn't it?

Am I'm the last guy to say 'listen to your body', since I never follow that advice until I'm forced to. One day I might learn..

Take care,
    hrv

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

hope to see you

I will be doing Mudslinger the first weekend of April and then King's Valley. Are you riding with a team? I ride for Paul's Bicycle Way of Life. The EWEB team absolutely controlled and dominated the Cat 4/5 race. I suspect they will try to do the same thing at KV. It will be a lot harder for them. We will have a full team there. I dare say that we have some extraordinary riders that are scary fast at climbing. They were all top finishers at the Cascade Cream Puff 100 last year.

I am hoping I can drop a few more pounds and get a little more power in my legs so I can make it over the hills with the lead group. The kids are with Gma and Gpa and my wife is working on her doctorate and I have the week off. So, I have a lot of time to work out. I am going hard through next Wednesday. I will be racing Expert ss at Mudslinger. I will rest and recover the week before KV.

hrv
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

Oh really?

DirtyDown said: "I will be racing Expert ss at Mudslinger..".

Hmm. I'm thinking about doing my first ever mtb race, the Chainbreaker, in Bend, in the Sport SS group. Have you ever done this race, or know of it? What gearing would you recommend? Or for my first race would I be better off in the beginner division?

OT for this board, feel free to pm me on this.

Thanks, good luck at Mudslinger!

hrv

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TWD
    Staying home was a very good call on your part. I was listening to that wind howl and the rain batter my house (a bit north of Corvallis) on Sunday AM while I was home sick in bed. I was lying there thinking, "I'm glad I'm not racing in that!"

No shame in skipping a race in those conditions when you're sick.

I came down with a bad case of the flu last week and it went right into my chest. Temperature of 104, nasty cough, cold sweats, chills, sinus pressure, you name it. Went to the doc yesterday, and it turns out my lovely case of the flu transformed into Pneumonia.

Just perfect. Doc ordered me off the bike for two weeks, which is going to make getting to work a bit difficult (1 car family, wife gets the car since she has the kids).
    Looks like I WONT be doing Kings Valley this year. What a bummer, it's such a great race too.

I wouldn't say that my season is over, but my spring IS over. I'm gonna have abs of steel from all of the coughing fits though.
    I had that very same thing that started in early February with cough, fever, sweating and lost about 5 pounds. Down to midseason weight without the improved fitness, extreme loss of power. I have put about 3 of the pounds back on and the power is just starting to come back around. I had a hacking cough for the better part of the month. My doctor advised me to not race in the rain this spring so as to not risk weakening the immune system and risk the potential of getting really sick again. I was expecting to turn out for one of two races this weekend in Washington, but it was so wet and cold that I just bundled up and went out with the rain bike with the local club and made sure I kept my distance from those that didn't have fenders. That is one nasty bug that is tough to shake. I don't feel guilty at all for not racing in the rain. A good friend went to one of the races on Saturday and said he was still shivering on Sunday.

TWD
    Quote Originally Posted by hrv
    Sounds pretty nasty, but there's a long season ahead. Makes you appreciate just being able to get out and ride, let alone train/race, doesn't it?

Am I'm the last guy to say 'listen to your body', since I never follow that advice until I'm forced to. One day I might learn..

Take care,
    hrv

Yeah,

I'm so anxious to just get out on the bike and ride again. I learned the hard way when I was racing in college that you can't train and race through a chest illness. Long story short, in my young and foolish days, I thought toughing it out was the answer and it cost me a whole season.

I won't make that mistake again.