RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004

Polar S725/Software question regarding temperature recording

Hi,

Does anyone of Polar HRM and software users know how the HRM or the Polar Precision Performace software handle the temperature data? I enabled the Altitude function (also
    the temperature function) in my HRM. When I transfer the data to PC, I do not see the temperature data shown from the BEGINNING of the recording time to the END (like the altitude info). I only see the temperature plot (or number) been placed close to the end of the graph (like the temperature plot was compressed in the time scale and placed in the end). It happens to ALL of my ride data.

Any idea?

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Your temp is only stored when you end a lap. That means each time you hit the big red button a new lap is started in a set and the temp is stored. If I am actually concerned about temps and not doing any interval work out I will just randomly hit the lap button every hour or so of a ride. So the reason this is occuring is that since you have only one lap (the whole ride) you lap temp is being displayed at the end. At least that is what I think I remember on mine? A few drinks tonight.

K

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep...takes a reading during your ride when you hit the red button.
    The legs feed the wolf.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

I sent this question to Polar tech support last Saturday

I was scratching my head over this on Saturday. I've been riding in colder conditions lately which has upped my temperature curiosity. I had remembered seeing varying temp values in previous plots, but my recent recordings showed no temps. Adding lap markers to the downloaded data just gave me the same temp value at each lap marker. Reviewing the data on the wristop computer showed 3 temp values, min, avg and max.

Polar's response was: temperature data is not stored with each data sample. The wristop computer stores/calculates the min, avg & max, but those values are not uploaded to the desktop computer. The temperature is stored as part of a lap marker which IS uploaded, so to get a series of temperatures plotted, you'll have to hit the red button at desired points during the exercise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004

One more thing :D

Thanks for the info. What you guys suggested was what I missed. I got the wrong idea about the temperature recording. I only hit the RED button twice from the start of my ride so the ride was like a whole LAP. I did not find the instruction regarding temperature recording in the user's manual. But I guess I need to go back to read it more carefully.

One more thing regarding the S725 HRM: have you experienced that the LAP time may be accidentally enabled during downhill high speed with bumps? I think the vibration from big bumps trigger the internal contact under the RED button so it looked like I pressed the button. With the explaination from you guys, I think that is why I always got the temperature plot (not just single point) close to the end of my ride time (my ride always end with downhill) because of the accidentally triggered LAP times.

Thanks a lot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

The Big Red Button...

I think you may be right about the red button being sensitive. I have not experienced this when the watch is mounted on the bike, but it happens all the time when it's on my wrist. It's possible that I'm bumping the button while it's on my wrist, but it does get pressed/activated unintentionally all the time.

When I'm riding I mount the watch on my bars using a tip shown to me by a racing friend. Instead of using a Polar (or other) hard mount, I slip the non buckle strap end down through the keeper loop and then just strap the watch on the bar with a buckle. Hard to describe in text, but quite simple. Imagine buckling the watch on the bar like it was your wrist and then needing to put a rubber band around the strap above the bar to pinch the band tight - the keeper loop acts as that rubber band. It's a cheap, flexible mounting method that works well on all of the bars I've tried so far. It must cushion the watch from the type of impact that would cause the red button to activate as I have never had an unintentional activation on either my road bike or MTB.