RoadBikeReview Member

Post cramp soreness - possible to mitigate?

Raced (MTB) Saturday. Cramped during final 10 miles but was able to hold position (overcooked first laps to get back to front after early crash).After the race, my legs were toast. Next day/Sunday, I did a very easy 40 minutes on the trainer. By the end of the day Sunday, quads were a bit sore. Today, more sore.

What are you guys doing to mitigate sore legs (quads really) after hard rides?

Oh, I turn 50 in a couple months... and, I get that factors in a bit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Raced (MTB) Saturday. Cramped during final 10 miles but was able to hold position (overcooked first laps to get back to front after early crash).After the race, my legs were toast. Next day/Sunday, I did a very easy 40 minutes on the trainer. By the end of the day Sunday, quads were a bit sore. Today, more sore.

very very easy 20min spinning and massage, the goal is stimulate blood flow (for faster recovery) while trying to avoid taxing the muscles. Take a day off. Extreme soreness means you have pushed more torque thru your legs than you have gotten used to pushing, and you probably have more muscle damage compared to other rides where you don't have soreness. Having said that, I don't think science can actually pinpoint the reason of the soreness, so I'm just talking mainly from personal experience and experiences of what others are saying. But regardless, rest and blood flow seems to be key to a faster recovery.

this soreness thing is not limited to cycling either. It happens in every sport that requires a hard physical effort. Weightlifting is notorious for this, people can even get sore doing light weight but high reps, so it's not necessarily heavy force/weight that will induce soreness as volume is also a factor. I get them a lot in the gym, but usually a day of rest, 2 days if the soreness is epic, will allow the body to heal nicely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    A foam roller and Extreme Icy Hot have become my friend in the past few years. The Gaiam 36 x 8 foam roller doesn't create static like a cheap model a buddy of mine has. The roller works like a deep tissue massage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post

You probably have a big collection of small muscle tears caused by the cramping. It will take time to heal, but promoting blood flow will help. Standard advice is RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) but the cold is only appropriate for the first 48 hours. After that, heating pads will help. And light riding to keep the blood flowing. If it lasts more that 5-6 days you might want to check with a medical professional.
    Last edited by Kerry Irons; 03-14-2018 at 08:14 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks guys. I've only done pieces of the advice above. I'll incorporate the rest.

My 15-yr-old daughter asked "if you'd backed off to lessen the cramps, would you have still podiumed?" "Was it worth it?" ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Normatec for me
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Whey protein in the morning and night + foam roller and massage.

Usually good after 3 days.