RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

Racing a 650 TT frame on road

I bought a 650 TT/tri bike for cheap to use for training for MTB racing. It is a Klein Aeolus aluminuim frame with rather steep TT angles, 650 zipps, ect.

Now, I reckon I am much faster on the road than on MTB and want to get into racing. ( i seem to be able to overtake or at least keep up with most people i know who do do road races)

Do you think i could put drop bars and shifters on and race it- the frame is UCI legal.

For the price i paid i would have got a pretty ordinary road bike, so i am not that worried about it not being ideal.

hi, I'm Larry

Legal for now

The UCI bicycle rules do not apply to USCF races until 2007. I believe USCF allows 650 wheels. UCI does have a rule about the minimum setback distance between the nose of the saddle and the BB location. Many agressive TT frames would put the seat too far forward. But 2007 is a long way off.

Rumor has it that the handling of a TT bike is not as good as a road/racing bike. It could make you dangerous in a tight pack (or precieved by other riders as being dangerous).

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran
    I bought a 650 TT/tri bike for cheap to use for training for MTB racing. It is a Klein Aeolus aluminuim frame with rather steep TT angles, 650 zipps, ect.

Now, I reckon I am much faster on the road than on MTB and want to get into racing. ( i seem to be able to overtake or at least keep up with most people i know who do do road races)

Do you think i could put drop bars and shifters on and race it- the frame is UCI legal.

For the price i paid i would have got a pretty ordinary road bike, so i am not that worried about it not being ideal.