RoadBikeReview Member

Racing an older bike

I'm not a road biker but I think I'd like to try a few races or TT this spring.

I have a newer (2003??) Canadale Cad 4 R600 but it's a little too big for me. I built up a really nice set of wheels last spring for it when I got it. Oh, and it was free. But, again a little big for me.

Last spring I bought a 1987 Bianchi ($100) all original 7spd parts including green leather toe clip straps and cable housing. It's great fun to ride and fits me so much better.

I've got bored this winter and put all the nice parts from the Canadale on the Bianchi. I even found a good deal on a 1" threadless carbon fork with carbon steertube. I haven't weighed it yet but I'm sure it's not under 20#'s.

I'm debating now, if I'm going to enter a few races, should I race the Bianchi or put all the good stuff back on the Canadale. I'm not concerned with the scoffing and harassment of others in the race if I ride the Bianchi. I am concerned with wear and tear of the Bianchi. It's a cool bike and I'd not want to damage it. I'm wanting to do races for the fun and experience and don't care if I don't have the most up to date equipment, I'll even be wearing MTB shoes.

Anyone else race an older bike? How does it feel? Is it all original parts or have you upgraded anything, If so why? I love the look of the 1" threaded stem and fork. So sleek and sexy. But, I understand the advantages of the carbon forks and weight reduction advantages. So, I'm in a quandary. I'll probably have to try it out both ways, new stuff and then with original parts to get a good feel for what I like??

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a nice 2005 Merlin Titanium bike for training and racing, but at one TT last year I rolled out my 1985 Pinarello Treviso with Scott aerobars (aka Greg Lemond style and era). I won the race and logged my best time!! Go figure. The bike was an absolute crowd pleaser too.

Yeah...the bike makes a difference but the motor makes more of a difference!!

Go retro!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got a late 80's Bianchi steel lugged road racing frame NOS, with new campy centaur, some rolf wheels, and a fizik saddle. Its my first bike, an ebay buy that I think was a steal, and I'm using it for collegiate racing in the spring. As a new cyclist, I couldn't be more excited.

And I couldn't be happier with it thus far.

Take the classic ride.

waterproof*
    Here's me on a borrowed bike last summer, in the big 4th of July Dallas crit. Great course, really technical, it strung out then shattered every field. This is the 4's race.

The bike is a lugged steel Tesch, from the 80's, Shimano down tube indexed 7 speed.

Yes, you can race that bike. I got 3rd place on this one and was not slowed or hindered at all. It's the legs and your smarts that determine your finish position, not the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Racing an older bike-matrix-3.jpg  
    Last edited by Creakyknees; 02-23-2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: forogt to attache photo
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    Smoke the haters with it. And when you do, don't say anything. Just look at them. And pass. Yes... it feels so good.

I do it on my fixed all the time to geared riders... not that I hate gears but just an example.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CleavesF
    Smoke the haters with it. And when you do, don't say anything. Just look at them. And pass. Yes... it feels so good.

I do it on my fixed all the time to geared riders... not that I hate gears but just an example.
    That's a great way to look at it. I just want to have fun with it. A lot of bikers around here look down at you if you don't have the bling or a name brand bike despite your talent or ability.

I think I will race the bianchi. It fits better anyway.

Bickety bam!
    Jun 2004

Great article...

There was a great article recently on cylingnews.com where they did a run down on the bikes of the Tour de Langkawi (sp?). Anyway, a lot of the better racers there are riding what many of us would consider old junk (2000 Trek 5900 for instance). Anyway, their whole point, and they're right, is that it's more about the engine (as always) than it is about the bike. That being said, I know myself, and many others like to have the nice chi chi stuff, but your bike is probably not going to be a detriment in any way, shape, or form. Ride what you got, and race what you got.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Your body and how it fits the bike, is way more important than the bikes year or brand name.
    When you beat them, say, "Wow! I bet I could have really smoked you if I had your bike!"