RoadBikeReview Member

Regulations and the Profile Design Fast Forward.

Scenario:
    -I overall prefer a more forward position.
    -The seatpost that came with my Giant TCR is a setback post - which the few mm's of setback are still keeping me from my "perfect fit".
    -With the idea of racing down the road (starting out as a Cat 5), and already owning a Profile Design Fast Forward, will there be any regulations against the use of the seatpost? I vaguely remember something about limitations regarding fore/aft distance of the saddle in relation to the BB.

-Why not just buy a non-setback seatpost? Well I'm cheap, let alone the fact I really wouldn't mind using something I already have. But if it's clarified that I can't use it, then yeah, I'll pick up another seatpost. This isn't life-or-death, just seeing if I can use what I already got.

For reference, the seatpost in question:
    http://www.profile-design.com/profil...num-seat-posts

RoadBikeReview Member
    As long as you are not doing any pro level racing or national level racing you should be fine....people around you might question it, but the race officials won't care.
    Bikes:
    • 2012 CAAD10 (4)
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 1998 Marin East Peak - MTB
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

waterproof*
    yep, what Wookie said.

you have short femurs?
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    you have short femurs?
    I wouldn't think so when comparing them by eye to the lower portion of my legs.

Habitual perhaps, but even over the span few months of riding some decent amount of setback, I ended up wanting to move the saddle forward. Setback doesn't hurt, doesn't make me so much of slower or get me tired faster, but I simply don't like the feeling.

I guess for the time being, I'll at least put in the FF to ride on for the moment and avoid any ridiculously-forward saddle positions compounded on the already-forward position; just get those few cm's or mm's that I'm kept from with the current setback.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck
    I wouldn't think so when comparing them by eye to the lower portion of my legs.
    You can't tell just by looking. If you're interested, measure and compare to the norm. (you can find "norm" information from things like anatamy info or sometimes even from resources for artists help on drawing humans in correct proportions)

I compared my measurements to these things and realized I have long femurs (and legs) compared to my torse. I think this helps me in understanding my bike fit.