RoadBikeReview Member

Rollers?? 3-in drum, flywheel or headwind

I have Kreitler 4.5 rollers. They are quite easy to "spin out" in a 53 x 12. The next step is what?? What advantages do 3 inch drums vs. the headwind vs. the flywheel have for increased resistance? Would any one be better over the other? I've heard the headwind attachment is good but very noisy. I haven't heard anything on the flywheel unit. I like the silence of the Kreitlers.

Thanks...Dan

kytyree
    I don't mind the noise from the fan and it adds all the resistance I need. I have one flywheel but I have never gotten it to work without squeaking when I ride, I think if I had one on each side to balance out the force it would be fine but I just took it off as the fan does what I need it to do.

I never had 3" rollers but I had the smaller Kreitlers and they provide plenty of resistance but they made it hard to do a recovery ride or just spin. The smaller rollers are just a bit harder to ride as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good thoughts...Thanks!

Did your flywheel actually squeak? I would offer to buy it, but if it squeaks...never mind.

Using the headwind sounds good as far as resistance. I suppose that for easy spins you could just not hook up the headwind and ride only the rollers?

Thanks...Dan

kytyree
    With the headwind at its lowest setting the rollers aren't bad and the little chain ring is as easy as it needs to be.

I don't think the flywheel itself squeaks, it looks to me like the force on the roller is uneven. The flywheels mount to the rear roller and its the only thing that does so I think having just one flywheel causes that rear roller itself to squeak. Maybe after the belt stretches out a bit it would get better, I should probably full with it some more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Lower pressure

Quote Originally Posted by cdadaa
    I have Kreitler 4.5 rollers. They are quite easy to "spin out" in a 53 x 12. The next step is what?? What advantages do 3 inch drums vs. the headwind vs. the flywheel have for increased resistance? Would any one be better over the other? I've heard the headwind attachment is good but very noisy. I haven't heard anything on the flywheel unit. I like the silence of the Kreitlers.
    Let some air out of your tires. You can control resistance pretty easily that way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Won't letting air out of the tires and riding on them wreck the tires? I think I'd prefer a resistance unit designed as such. Just looking for advice the merits of them ( 3-inch rollers, killer headwind and the flywheel).

evs
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Just Curious but while in the 53x12 how long are you able to stay in that grear for and at what cadence and heart rate and/or speed is that at.
    'Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, Boldly Ride,' The Shade replied, - 'If you Seek for El Dorado!'

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

My Experience

Thanks...Dan
    My initial set of rollers were a pair of Minouras with 4.5 inch drums. Way to easy to spin out. My current pair is Kreitler DynoLite with 3 inch drums. These have plenty of resistance although I rarely use my small ring. You are not going to be doing extended sessions in your 53x12. Since you already have Kreitlers you know just how nice they are. Silence is golden.

I race Cat. 4, my son races Cat. 3 and I just got him a pair of Kreitlers with 3 inch drums and these have enough resistance for him too. His are a pair of Hot Dog rollers with the poly endcaps and the Kompact frame. I am amazed how much lighter they are than my set, truly portable. I guess that would be my concern with the headwind/flywheel, how easy would it be to transport or store. It would just muss up something simple and elegant.
    Luck is the intersection of preparation and opportunity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I use standard Kreitlers and the headwind unit. Not very convenient to take to races, although the upside of the headwind unit is that you do get some air moving at you, which can be very welcome in a hot parking lot. Inside I still use another fan. Between the two, I don't drip too disgustingly. The headwind unit is not significantly noisier than a fan. I still can sort of kind of hear what's going on on the radio.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There's diffenently two schools here...one that likes the headwind, and one the 3-inch drums.

Thanks for the input all. I suppose the most reasonalble approach is to look at the headwind (cheapest alternative) and if it's not too noisey and does the job....great. If not I'll try the smaller drums (expensive).

As one of you said, silence is golden...I like so much how quiet the Krietlers are. They are like nothing is there. It seems counter to add the noise element.

Thanks again all!

RoadBikeReview Member
    evs,

I drop into the 53 x 12 during power intervals for three to five minutes each at approx 90 rpm. My relative HR is at 80% to 90% max at the end of the interval followed by a two minute rest. Keep in mind that I'm not in very good shape and if I ever got there, the 4.5 inch rollers alone would only work for recovery rides and spinning.

Just looking for alternatives.

Dan

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

M S R P

...the headwind (cheapest alternative)...
    ...the smaller drums (expensive)...
    Headwind unit $168
    Challenger 3" drums $234

So long as your frame is still in good shape all you need to do is buy the drums themselves. Get the ones with poly ends and the marginal cost difference is not quite as breathtaking as buying a full set of new rollers..
    Luck is the intersection of preparation and opportunity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Softies

Won't letting air out of the tires and riding on them wreck the tires?
    You don't ride them flat or anything, just at slightly lower pressure. If you just need "one gear" more resistance, this might mean only 10 psi less. Most people run their tires well over 100 psi, and you don't have any pinch flat issues at 90 psi on the rollers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anyone have a used set of 3-inch drums or a headwind for sale? It's still winter where I live so I'm still indoors!
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go" T.S.Eliot
    "Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" Will Rogers