Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Setting Expectations

612 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Speedi Pig 
#1 ·
So, on a lark, I registered for a 90 mile race early this year. Now that it's only two weeks away starting to get anxious -- even though its not a 'A' race or anything.

This season I have not done any ride longer than 60 miles. But twice a week, I do one around 48-56 and one around 40-45 -- both hard rides incorporating intervals. This equates to 3 and 2.5 hours in the saddle respectively (mileage varies due to length/intensity of intervals). On a weekly basis I average about 10 hours in the saddle.

I am a cat 5 and, at this point in the season, am active (pulling/taking digs etc) in the front of my typical 35-40 mile races.

Last year, the lead group of 26 riders in this race averaged 24 mph. The group makeup appears to be a fair number of cat 1's and ex-pros --> Andrew Crater (ex pro) was the winner.

Soooo - if I did absolutely no work, is it conceivable that I could hang with that lead group and gain some insight into how the big boys ride? Or is the difference between 50 and 90 miles so great that I should consider myself lucky to finish?

- K

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
jac44 said:
You'll never know until you try
No doubt. I guess what I'm looking for is advice on pacing. If I can do 40 miles and average 24mph while doing work, is it feasible to think I can do 90 miles at same pace without working? Or is the difference between 40 and 90 miles so great, and my level of training so inadequate, as to make this goal completely unrealistic?

You know how when you first race and you're in the group going 26mph and feeling great? You look around and think - "I'm way better than this" - and leap off the front only to die after 10 seconds? That's a typical beginner mistake due to not recognizing the difference between group speed and what _you_ can hold at threshold.

I just don't want to make a similiar mistake here (feeling great @ mile 60 then suddenly cracking at mile 75 due to pure milage impact).

-K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.