RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008

Sportlegs?? Any results??

Just bought Sportlegs supplement. Seems like it can't hurt. Plan on using them for better recovery. Has anyone used them, and can they be used with other meds?

Banned forever.....or not
    I tried it for a few months a couple years ago. At first, it seemed to help, but after a few months, I decided that it was all in my head.
    End of Story
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Not hurting

Quote Originally Posted by TS2213
    Just bought Sportlegs supplement. Seems like it can't hurt. Plan on using them for better recovery. Has anyone used them, and can they be used with other meds?
    The only thing it will hurt is your wallet. Really just high priced nutrient substitute, compared to what you can easily get in a reasonable diet. In that sense, they're just like other supplements

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the response,I figured that I might be waisting my money, I thought I would 'give it a shot" My legs have been unusally sore after my rides lately, and I haven't been able to train like I would like. Someone told me I should drink 'milk of magneseum' for same effect. Anyone try that??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Don't underestimate the placebo effect if it works for you, just dont pay 2 much for it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I did a bunch of TTs and cross races last year. Took sportlegs in about half of them. It had no noticeable effect. I had some good days and some bad days - no pattern.

Some friends who are prone to cramping do take them and swear they help. Cramping has never been a problem for me so can't say if they help for this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've had mixed results with the stuff. A couple of times on my road bike, I'ts been literally hit or miss. I also race motocross, and a couple of times when practicing I've used Sport Legs, and did notice a lot less cramping, and soreness in my forearms.

On a side note, I've been taking ZMA to help me sleep, and notince that the soreness in my legs is gone in the morning. I'm gonna just keep telling myself that the ZMA works, 'cause I sleep a lot better when I'm using it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

no noticeable effect

Tried it on a few long training rides and then a century. If there was an effect it was not significant. I decided it was not worth my money

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Have not noticed a difference performance wise. But they do seem to help with cramping. If you dont have problems with cramping dont waste your money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the response,I figured that I might be waisting my money, I thought I would 'give it a shot" My legs have been unusally sore after my rides lately, and I haven't been able to train like I would like. Someone told me I should drink 'milk of magneseum' for same effect. Anyone try that??
    Who was this person and what did you do to them?! Milk of magnesia is a laxative.

Seriously, though, my mom takes magnesium before bed. She says it's the only thing that stops her restless legs syndrome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Good hydration and an extra hour of sleep the night before an event will beat the effect of sportylegs or whatever....

Bike Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhogaz
    On a side note, I've been taking ZMA to help me sleep, and notince that the soreness in my legs is gone in the morning. I'm gonna just keep telling myself that the ZMA works, 'cause I sleep a lot better when I'm using it.
    What us ZMA????
    Sportlegs has helped me with cramping issues for years.
    Ride to eat, eat to ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    i've been using SL for 3 years. I love the stuff. yes, for the most part they are a "nutrient substitute", but is there a problem with that? if you would prefer, you could probably manage the equivalent through whole foods, but you cant beat the convenience of a couple of little pills

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I brought a bottle and have used it once. I've always had problems with the burn as I push to big of a gear. Anyway, my first trial was a disaster. Indoor training session and my legs felt worse than ever. It was almost as if it accelerated the burn.

eRacer
    I think SL is just another expensive supplement.
    If it works for you, go for it.

I use a little Chocolate Milk or Ovaltine post ride, and I think the Calcium and Magnesium may help with cramping. Seems to work for me.

Name:  OvaltineLogo.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  7.9 KB

Sportlegs?? Any results??-ovaltine-nutrition.gif
    Last edited by jmlapoint; 03-05-2009 at 10:59 PM.
    John Lapoint / San Diego
    God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!

No Crybabies

hard to isolate causes

I tried them for time trials, and found I did well -- HOWEVER, I realized that for these particular days I was also treating them as important rides, which involved proper tapering, diet, and motivation. So, regardless of the SL, I should have felt strong.

I had bad days with them, as well, which I can easily attribute to other causes, like not being rested or a change in training emphasis. I don't know how you can distinguish what's what. If they made you throw up, I suppose that would help to tell, or if you have a series of 25.0 mph time trials, and all the sudden you have a 26.0 using them, and back to 25.0 without them, that might be something, but you'd need a lot of trials to tell much. Bottom line, though, I don't think they can hurt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool