waterproof*

Stage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.

To watch the full replay video, click here, wait for it to load:

Amgen Tour of California Tour Tracker

Then at the top center of the screen, click the word "STAGES" then click "STAGE 5" then move the cursor to the top-left of the screen and click "SHOW REPLAY"

Wait for it to load.

FFWD the video to about 30:00 into the video / 57-60km to go in the race (distance to go is overlaid on the video in the top left corner).

The real action starts at 56.7 km to go as RS attacks in team formation... Paul says "watch this"

They put FIVE GUYS on the front, in coordinated and pre-planned action. The chopper shot at 56km shows immediate responses as the ProTour guys (1) see it and (2) react immediately. The domestic guys were either caught napping, or, just didn't have the legs to get across the gaps that immediately formed.

The other interesting bit is how the Saxo BMC Shack Orica guys immediately started cooperating. They saw the opportunity, no words were needed. Pro.

At 54.7 km, exactly 2000 meters later, the split is clear and despite the best chasing of the domestic teams, it never came back.

That was about 3 and a half minutes of racing, shared by 5-10-15 guys going full gas. Then they settled in earnest to hammer along for the next 30 miles.

Sorry for the jumbled screengrab dump. If you hover over the pics there are captions.

Stage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-paul-says-real-echelon.jpgName:  cannondale messing up the chase because Sagan is up front 3.JPG
Views: 420
Size:  22.5 KBStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-cannondale-messing-up-chase-because-sagan-up-front-still.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-check-windsock.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-sagan-smartly-staying-out-way.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-thor-tyler-marking-him.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-chasers-give-up-exhausted.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-jens-attacks.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-jens-1-k.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-jensie-wins-.jpgName:  cannondale messing up the chase because Sagan is up front 2.JPG
Views: 414
Size:  26.6 KBName:  cannondale messing up the chase because Sagan is up front.JPG
Views: 408
Size:  21.5 KBName:  2nd echelone forming from the back.JPG
Views: 404
Size:  31.6 KBStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-crosswind-carnage-toc-3.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-crosswind-carnage-toc-4-30-second-gap.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-crosswind-group-catches-break.jpgName:  gap.JPG
Views: 402
Size:  17.4 KBStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-2nd-echelon.jpgName:  2nd and 3rd echelons.JPG
Views: 405
Size:  33.5 KBName:  lead group way the hell up the road.JPG
Views: 403
Size:  35.5 KBStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-carter-jones-got-caught-wrong-time.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-jens-attacks-2.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-oldest-guy-race.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-58-4k-two-rs-riders-see-road-bend.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-behind-red-line-you-hosed.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-protour-riders-look-back-gain-tactical-information.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-tejay-wheel-ok-boss-drill-.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-these-optum-riders-did-not-catch-leaders.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-55k-echelon-established-riders-blowing-up-leaving-gaps.jpgName:  Paul Sherwen sounds delighted now.JPG
Views: 435
Size:  37.7 KBStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-protour-guys-limit-does-get-sketchy-wind.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-nobody-else-made-split.jpgName:  look how close that is and nobody could get across the gap.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  39.0 KBStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-jens-instigator.jpgName:  and RS comes thru to keep attacking.JPG
Views: 390
Size:  36.2 KBStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-400-meters-later-rs-guys-look-each-other-note-road-sign-behind.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-56-7k-rs-attacks-team.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-56-5k-rs-team-attack.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-paul-says-watch-out-.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-56-4k-rs-has-4-front-attacking-rotation.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-56-1-krs-has-5-guys-qs.jpgStage 5 of the ToC should be required watching for every bike racer.-56-1-cdale-says-oh-shit.jpgName:  56-0 panic ripples down the field.JPG
Views: 391
Size:  36.5 KBName:  and BMC too - note they go the long way round to the front then enter the rotation.JPG
Views: 395
Size:  42.1 KBName:  perfect cooperation in the tight echelon.JPG
Views: 389
Size:  23.5 KB
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

waterproof*
    Old man Jensie gave us all a free clinic that day.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Agreeded. You live in the Dallas area and know what wind is like! A friend did his first race. He is super strong. I told him it will be the wind that will make the difference at least when he starts racing with good masters. That stage of the ToC was beautiful to wach as 3-4 echelons formed going up the road. Yellow jersey caught napping-like Lance dd to Contrdor I think in his first comeback Tour. Let's see Lance is from Dallas also. Think I see a pattern. I've encourage the club I ride with to practice echelons especially in the winter but no one was interested. I think one of our Cat 2's got a lesson two weeks ago doing a road race in the Dallas aera.
    "The problem with losing your mind is that by the time you realize it's gone, it's too late to get it back."
    Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    That was awesome to watch. But I totally didn't realize only one contenitial team rider made it in the first echelon. And I was totally impressed De Gendt was able to latch on after being in the 3 man break.

Jens, Radio Shack, and the other pro tour teams put on a clinic on that stage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    I was glad I watched that stage since I missed the echelons in all the classics and TdF stages around Normandy and Brittany I've watched the last 25 years.
    miles to posts ratio is > 30:1